iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 29, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #2,401 of 6,795

There will never be a working cable of this kind - coax is electrical digital whereas Toslink is optical digital.

http://www.photonicsonline.com/doc/optical-to-electrical-converter-tia-952-0001    
confused.gif

tongue.gif

Might even work, dunno what it does with your sound though......

Should've added "without active, powered conversion elements". 
wink.gif

Sure there are converters from Toslink to Coax and vice versa (not the one you linked, however there are such converters), but a simple passive cable of that kind will never be possible.

@NaiveSound

You have to decide either to go the Coax or Toslink way (the DX80 has a combined Toslink/Coax output, so you have both possibilities).

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #2,402 of 6,795
Should've added "without active, powered conversion elements". :wink:

Sure there are converters from Toslink to Coax and vice versa (not the one you linked, however there are such converters), but a simple passive cable of that kind will never be possible.

@NaiveSound

You have to decide either to go the Coax or Toslink way (the DX80 has a combined Toslink/Coax output, so you have both possibilities).

Got my. Dx80 (4th one) the best yet! Still pops and clicks but sound is nicer (still enjoy Mojo more) but not as leggy, battery much higher better, definitely happier with it

I need any cable coax or optical that will. Connect to my. Mojo and is a short cable max 6 inches, hopefully L shaped ends, anyone?

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #2,403 of 6,795
Jan 29, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #2,404 of 6,795
Jan 29, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #2,405 of 6,795
Tested 1.3.0 for around an hour.
SQ is similar to 1.1.4, can't tell which is better.
Key lock feature is nice !

After flashed 1.3.0, the first play got terrible Pop !
Hopefully I tested it with my old speakers, otherwise I will be deaf.
After this, reading my microSD seems improved, (Eagtec SDXC 64GB UHS-1 class10)
skipping seems gone, but still some pops but much better than 1.2.0 and before.
During poweroff there is a bump sound...
noise need to be 200% clean from DAP !

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #2,407 of 6,795
  Is anyone frustrated by the swiping of the screen left to right? Auditioned a unit today on the original firmware that was a bit laggy swiping so wondering if this has bothered people or if it was addressed in a firmware update at all. Thanks!

Don't judge a DX80 by the original firmware.  Later firmwares have greatly improved GUI ease and responsiveness.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #2,408 of 6,795

Don't judge a DX80 by the original firmware.  Later firmwares have greatly improved GUI ease and responsiveness.

The GUI on FW 1.1.4 was very fast and responsive. 1.2.1 (same in 1.3.0) brought it back to misery, at least for me. Startup time increased from something like 10 seconds to almost a minute, scan time for a single 128GB card increased from 12-14 minutes to 23-25 minutes. Switching between USB modes - complete nightmare, I'm still to figure out what's the logic ...

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #2,409 of 6,795
Hi all, 1st post. Can someone give me their general impressions on the difference in sound quality between the X5II and the DX80. I am interested in a DAP that can host two sd-cards. These two seem to be the main contenders. I have the X3II and like it a lot. Which of these is the biggest upgrade from the X3II - the X5II or the DX80. I've been following the threads on the DX80 concerning the bugs - can someone also report if it is now becoming more stable? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,412 of 6,795

I had the same problem and it took a while to crack it. This is a potential bug for Paul to note (I was going to put a post on the bug thread).

I found that when viewed in Mp3Tag the problem FLAC files were all marked as type: "FLAC(ID3v2.3)" compared to "FLAC(FLAC)" for files that correctly listed on the DX80. It appears that sometime last year I mistakenly had seletected the tickbox on my ripper (Exact Audio Copy in my case) that also adds ID3 tags to the resultant FLAC rip of a CD track. A search in the internet suggests that FLAC files do not need ID3, and there appeared evidence that some DAPs/music players/software seem to have some problems with such FLAC files that also incorrectly have ID3 tags added to them.

I guess the problem occurs because the DX80 reads both the FLAC tag and the additional ID3 tag appended to the FLAC file, and creates a composite tag from both.Thus getting listed files in the format "artist name;artist name", "album title;album title" and "track title;track title". Whilst FLAC files shouldn't have (and don't need) ID3 tags it appears from internet discussions on Hydrogen Audio and others that this is not an uncommon mistake, so it may be someting to consider for a later DX80 firmware, to do a check on this and ignore ID3 tags incorrectly added to FLAC files.

To solve the problem using Mp3Tag you have to select the files, cut the tag (which copies it to the clipboard), and then repaste the tag back into the selected files. The resultant FLAC files then only have the correct FLAC tagging and on a rescan are listed fine. I had to do this for about 1000 tracks which took a while, but the DX80 is now listing them all correctly. This saves the issue of needing to fully repopulate tag information as I suggest needed to be done for the similar process of converting to WAV and back to FALC again.

As an aside, the DX80 listing also highlighted a few until then unnoticed issues with my tags, such as a few tracks with space characters at the front or end, and different capitalisations (i.e. a-ah, A-ha or A-Ha).

For the record, this is exactly the problem.  I had the same issue right down to not configuring EAC properly during one "push" to rip all my albums.  You hit the nail on the head.

I used tag.exe to remove the id3v2 tags from a folder, rescanned, and it worked.  I also, based on information I found online, tried MusicBrainz Picard.  The program will strip ID3v2 from FLAC...but I still can't determine if I can do that without picard replacing all of my tags, which I want to keep.  I tried enabling the checkbox to remove and just saving the files without recognizing them.  It seemed like it worked, and I think one album I did it to showed up without the colon in the DX80, but other ones I am positive I tried still have the colon.  I'm working on figuring it out.

Tag.exe is outrageously slow, so we will have to see.  I might end up writing a vbscript to test for id3 tags on flacs in a subfolder and if they are found remove the tags.  I really need to research more, though.  I don't want to do this manually.

Another potential option is - Tag & Rename allows to you export and import tags to excel.  I used this to VERY easily swap the Artist and Album Artist tags to accommodate the DX80's lack of support for album artist.  I exported all my tags, swapped the coulmns (for the record, it works based on which column the tags are in, NOT the name of the column).  What I could do is export all the tags again, wipe all of the tags from my entire collection, and then reimport them with tag&rename.  The major problem with this is that tag&rename uses "x/x" for track number, where I prefer to use the "tracks" and "total tracks" fields as it shows up better in foobar.

There are several other weird bugs and odd issues with the DX80, but I am absolutely in love with it so far.  I will post bug reports when I am ready, and I plan to write a formal review for the site as well.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #2,415 of 6,795
Before taking the DX80 I was torn between this and the x5ii.
I read in several forums that DX80 akjr more or less the same level x5ii far, DX80 x5 more natural sound more metallic and soundstage closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back