iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 28, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,356 of 6,795
after some listening i can confirm that the locking feature is brilliant, the UI is faster and less lagghy, really pleasant, but i feel the sound better in 1.2.1 , in this 1.3  i feel the bass more present but less detailed and a bit less punchy, the sound in general much darker, specially the voices, really less brilliant.. a bit veiled ... but i repeat i'm not so much expert in sound , only try to descrive what i feel :wink:        

p.s. the volume seems lower, with 1.2.1 i use to listen at 110 now i have to raise at 115-120 not sure if its caused by the change in sound signature or really the volume is lowered. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #2,357 of 6,795
Damn I deleted my own message.

A long story short: my new DX80 stutters with FLAC and MP3 files. Much more so with FLAC and seems to even out when playing MP3's for a few mins. 5mins of MP3 and almost no stutter, but FLAC stutters straight away which is carried to MP3's, which get better with time. Strange. exFat factory formatted card and (Kingston 128gb class 10).

What should I try? Is there a list of common issues to go through and see if there are any other problems?

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #2,363 of 6,795
My stuttering issue is caused by card compatibility problems. Tried a Kingston 16gb class 4 card and there are no issues. The card problems are fixable with firmware updates right? And it's likely to be fixed in the near future?

Card which doesn't work: Kingston SDC10G2/128GB, microSDXC class 10
Working card: Kingston SDC4/16GB, microSDHC class 4

Both FAT32.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,364 of 6,795
So, I have a mojo and DX80, I cannot seem to get the DX80 to output DSD over PCM. Is this something it cannot do?

I believe dx80 can only Play dsd natively and it cannot feed it to an external dac

I also have a mojo and use dx80 to Feed it, you get clicks and pops and painful noise when switching songs?

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,365 of 6,795
My stuttering issue is caused by card compatibility problems. Tried a Kingston 16gb class 4 card and there are no issues. The card problems are fixable with firmware updates right? And it's likely to be fixed in the near future?

Card which doesn't work: Kingston SDC10G2/128GB, microSDXC class 10
Working card: Kingston SDC4/16GB, microSDHC class 4

Both FAT32.

the new FW1.30 i suppose to resolve card issue... have u tried it??

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,366 of 6,795
I believe dx80 can only Play dsd natively and it cannot feed it to an external dac

I also have a mojo and use dx80 to Feed it, you get clicks and pops and painful noise when switching songs?

Is there no plans to change this? have people been requeting this be changed if possible in future firmware updates?

Also, are there any custom firmwares that have this capability? Otherwise I will have to return and get a FiioX5-2nd gen even though I really liked the form factor of the DX80 with the large physical buttons. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #2,367 of 6,795
Comparing 1.1.4 & 1.3.0 (didn't stay with 1.2.0 due to SQ sounding too bright to me), latest FW sounds darker & cleaner, but details seem to be reduced slightly & treble less sparkle.
Will spend more listening time to see which FW I like more.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #2,368 of 6,795
Is there no plans to change this? have people been requeting this be changed if possible in future firmware updates?

Also, are there any custom firmwares that have this capability? Otherwise I will have to return and get a FiioX5-2nd gen even though I really liked the form factor of the DX80 with the large physical buttons. 

I've mentioned the clicks and pops alot,, I too Hope It gets resolved, buy I have no idea. The dsd is likely to stay native,

I have a 4th dx80 to come today and will report if it's a good product compared to the previous dx80s I've had

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #2,369 of 6,795
I've mentioned the clicks and pops alot,, I too Hope It gets resolved, buy I have no idea. The dsd is likely to stay native,

I have a 4th dx80 to come today and will report if it's a good product compared to the previous dx80s I've had

I have the DX80 already, I am upset that it does not support DOP but hope for the future. Its really the best option for an at work transport with the mojo so i dont have to have software running on my workstation most of the time and when someone comes to my desk it has a large pause button which is nice. I will wait until the last time I can to return unless I find a better option

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #2,370 of 6,795
I have the DX80 already, I am upset that it does not support DOP but hope for the future. Its really the best option for an at work transport with the mojo so i dont have to have software running on my workstation most of the time and when someone comes to my desk it has a large pause button which is nice. I will wait until the last time I can to return unless I find a better option

I wish it did digital out to mojo, but I doubt it will ever happen, I too and seeking a different device

Users who are viewing this thread

Back