iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 15, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2,057 of 6,795
  I have been loading music in preparation for a trip this weekend, but as I was listening to music I started to notice pops in the music moving from left side to right side of my iem's (shure 535).

What card (also card format) and file type are you using?
Did you perform a factory reset after updating to the latest FW?

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #2,058 of 6,795

What card (also card format) and file type are you using?
Did you perform a factory reset after updating to the latest FW?

I am using sandisk 128gb and sandisk 200gb.  I using them in exfat format but am currently going through the process of formatting to fat32 and recopying my music.   That process takes quite awhile to perform

Also, Yes I did a factory reset after doing the latest firmware upgrade but only tried it with the cards in exfat not in fat32.   I'm hoping the fat32 format fixes the playback issues.   My 128gb card will be done copying in a couple hours so I should know something soon.

Thanks
Mike

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,059 of 6,795
@mld218

What file format is your music that causes these issues stored in?

I know there were some reports from users who experienced issues like you do with 1.1.4 and DSD files.

So far 1.2.1 works fine for me (as did 1.1.4) except for the slower/laggier UI and the less responsive physical play control buttons (both issues have already been mentioned though).

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2,060 of 6,795
  @mld218

What file format is your music that causes these issues stored in?

I know there were some reports from users who experienced issues like you do with 1.1.4 and DSD files.

So far 1.2.1 works fine for me (as did 1.1.4) except for the slower/laggier UI and the less responsive physical play control buttons (both issues have already been mentioned though).

My cards are mostly filled with regular flac files.   I have a few high res flac's, some albums in dsf format and some at 320mp3 but very few.   Most of the samples I was having problems with were regular flac files.

Thanks
Mike

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #2,061 of 6,795
I got my dx80 a few days ago.  Out of the box, my first impression was not that great.  So, thought I'd give it some burn in time.  After about 25 hours it's a different unit, and I'm quite impressed.  I'm happy to report that, so far, I have no issues (I'm running FW 1.2.1) -- no pops, thumps, crackles, whistles, skips, or anything.  No sd card problems at all (sandisk ultra).  If the prospects are that FW will only improve the sophistication over time, then I'm a happy camper.  I appreciate all the help conversation on the thread that helped me navigate some decisions.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #2,062 of 6,795
Yes and to my ears the DX80 sounds better on its own. The DX80 is stronger all around when compared to the X3ll.

thanks, i have the dx80 (my first DAP) and i really enjoy it with my trinity atlas and with my hd 380 pro, i consider to purchase one pair of hd 25 (70ohm) or other full size headphone, and i tought that an amp would help the dx80 drive it, but if the dx80 handle well even higher ohm headphone i'm happy with non stacking option :D   

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #2,063 of 6,795
I still can't believe how good the Koss Porta Pros sound with the DX80. Great sound and for a very reasonable price, considering that the PP's are around 40 dollars. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #2,064 of 6,795
Just a few raw, unedited pictures of the DIGNIS FOVEO leather case (Camel colour) for the DX80 

​
Beautiful, isn't it? Really soft, high quality premium leather case. Sits tight and securely on the DAP, just like a second skin.
Nice soft, smooth surface.

More (pitures, impressions, comparisons) to come in some days.​

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2,066 of 6,795

Yes, I tried all possibilities and it seems the usb connector of my dx80 is not working. Sent it back.

Mine also is not recognized. Charging is fine and Win 7 seems to find a driver for it, but not showing up to browse files. But certainly detecting that it's plugged in and defaults to Card Reader when plugged in.This is on 1.21 and haven't tried going back in firmware. Is there a driver I can download somewhere?

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #2,068 of 6,795
Got a great deal for a "not wanted", but new DX80, for £200 (opened box, but unit wasn't even burnt in). I thought, I share my first impressions after 40hrs of burn in.

I am coming from Fiio X3II, and recently I also used iFi Nano iCan. (Never really listened to Fiio's hp out, I just did it for the comparison.)

DX80 is a clear step up from X3II. (Which actually shouldn't be unexpected, as RRP is almost double for the iBasso.) But still, it is a pleasant surprise. First impression is its size. Feels like a nice piece of brick after the Fiio. But a very well made brick, quality built. Doesn't feel cheap at all.
First I tried to upgrade the firmware, which failed a few times. Eventually I left only one sd card in, and rescanned the library. Then it worked.
UI is very straight forward. Didn't need to 'learn' anything, I could use it from the first second. I find the touch screen much better than scroll wheel on Fiio, however it doesn't always work for the first touch. Sometimes I have to tap 2-3 times for menu or song list, which is just a bit annoying at times. Hopefully this will improve with a future fw.

DAC section sounds much better than the X3II's DAC in every aspects. I wouldn't go into details here.
Lets have a few words about hp out sound differences: (using my Fidelio X2) the overall sound quality jump is obvious for the first try. DX80 has a more neutral and more natural sound. More refined with more details. Also more 3D without being artificial. Background is darker. Layering and imaging is also noticeably better. Sounds more transparent, with slightly bigger soundstage. Bass extension is better, more refined. DX80 sound presenting is less forward. Vocals are more natural. Also less forgiving with the recordings. You hear, what you have. If it is a brilliant recording and good bitrate, it sounds truly amazing. But bad recordings and mastering is also revealed. If I had to use one word to describe DX80's sound, I would say "delicate". It is a really hi-fi sound with refinement and details. Not intrusive, not "into your face" kind of sound, just everything is nicely there to be discovered.

X3II sounds much more forward, less refined, almost sounds coloured, and while basically everything is there, everything sounds a bit artificial. Extension is slightly worse, especially the low end. Low end is also less articulate. Bass quantity is more though. (Which I don't find to be a good thing anymore.)
DX80 is more engaging, absolutely gives "hi-fi" experience. I would put X3II sq somewhere half way between a higher quality smart phone and the DX80.
I would still recommend X3II for its price, but if someone can afford DX80, don't hesitate. (EQ is also much more usable on the iBasso.)

I might going to write some more impressions compared to the sound with the Nano iCan, but now I need to sleep. :)

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,070 of 6,795
I tried to listen closer to my noises on my DX80.. when i connect my headphones to Line out it is silent, as soon as i connect to the headphone out it seems that i am picking up a Radio Station or something just very distorted. I could hear some percussion, drum sounds in a very harsh distorted way when nothing is playing on the DX80 ?
I tried three different headphones.. all pick up the same noise so it must be the DX80.

Should i return it ? what could be the cause ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back