iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 14, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,043 of 6,795
Oh.. Forgot to ask a question.. Is anyone having an issue where the songs are ending early? Or if you're listing to a song on repeat it cuts off the ending of the song.

By the way, I love how background vocals are now more upfront. Thank you iBasso for the amazing player. Even if it does cut off the ending to my songs.. Lol..

Hello, I have this bug when I reach the end of the last track of an album. I didn't try with repeat.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #2,044 of 6,795
Hi All,

I've made some progress on bringing Rockbox to the DX80, but have hit a bit of a roadblock. I have a process down for unpacking/repacking the update img and ADB is working on my DX80.  Additionally, I have a build environment setup and have successfully built Rockbox targeting the DX90 with modern-ish versions of the required tools (thanks [Saint]!). While the loader application is at a state where I can continue debugging it and get it fully working, Rockbox itself crashes instantly before I can actually collect any useful information.

I'm going to keep working on it, but as a web developer I'm a bit out of my depth here. If anyone has any expertise with Android NDK application or Rockbox in general, shoot me a PM and we can collaborate on this.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2,045 of 6,795
  Those who compared with X3ii, is this worth the extra £140 for more 3d soundstage and better bass?
Would a < £100 DAC achieve this connected to LO of X3ii?

i used to have x3ii line out with ibasso d-zero mk2. good combination.

OK some problems with the new firmware:

1. When connecting USB it will automatically change to card reader mode and you cannot pull down the top bar in card reader mode, only if you change the volume and instantly pull it down the bar will appear for me so i can change to DAC
  2. When a file already is playing and you switch to DAC it will play on full volume (i almost damaged my IEMs and busted my ear drums) the volume was set to 50.. but it must have gone all the way up, i just throwed the IEMs out of my ear out of a shock reaction
  3. When no sound is playing in DAC mode there are popping/crackling noises that repeat themself every 10-20 seconds
  4. Sometimes when in DAC mode the DX80 will not "wake up" anymore. i can press whichever button i want, the display will not come up again, also the volume controls dont work. but the sound still plays (you have to hold down the power button to switch it off and turn it on again for it to work)
  5. When nothing is playing in DAC mode i have a white noise like subtle sound all the time, i have the same sound also when in DAP mode only less loud (the volume setting does not change the volume)

Please clarify if this is "only me" - Thanks

i thought it was advised to put dx80 into dac mode first before connecting to pc/player. that's what i always do and i never encountered your problems except for the 4th. i agree that sometimes it doesn't wake up. still playing but no response from any button so need to force reboot.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #2,046 of 6,795
Those who compared with X3ii, is this worth the extra £140 for more 3d soundstage and better bass?
Would a < £100 DAC achieve this connected to LO of X3ii?

I really like the X3ll with the Fiio E12A. What I don't like is stacking so I bought the DX80 which I'm very happy with. It was worth it to me because I prefer the SQ, the Ui and I don't need to stack it.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #2,047 of 6,795
Anyone here with experience of the cayin n5 who could do a quick wright up of pros and cons? Would be much appreciated

In terms of a sound difference, I talked about it in my review, toward the end in the comparison section: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-dx80-high-resolution-audio-player/reviews/14737

Regarding everything else, it's up to you if you are more comfortable with a touch screen interface vs scroll wheel (and FiiO style UI used in Cayin) navigation.  2.5mm TRRS output of N5 is great as long as you don't have sensitive IEMs/CIEMs, otherwise too much hissing.

I have both as well. I use very basic functions of a DAP.... just play by folder or by playlist, no EQ, don't use as standalone DAC, no need for balanced. Hence it's not that difficult to meet my expectations heheh. However...

In terms of maturity, N5's latest v3.0 firmware probably made it "complete". Maturity in terms of bugs. N5 does everything that I expect it to do each time a button is pressed. Nothing less. Plays songs in completion. No thumps. No random suddenly-a-track-you-skip-to-plays-from-midway-instead-of-from-0sec. No press-skiptrack-button-3times-but-actual-trackskips-overshot-to-4to5. No having-to-reset-several-times-to-wake-up-some-functionality's-idea-somewhere (I mean, reset is reset, right?). None of all the nonsense that sometimes makes you wonder how can a company thinks it's ok to release a player with such glaring glitches. They are after all really basic, taken for granted functions. I'm still disturbed by those, and still harbouring the hope of future firmware resolving them. It's a love and hate affair lol!

The biggest draw for me is the sound. If I have to compare, I would still give the DX80 a very slight edge over N5, although it's still largely personal preference. To me, N5's mids are a bit more intimate. DX80 has better layering, better bass control, and is overall more natural sounding than N5. All are just a bit. Similar detail level, staging (may be perceived differently due to mids distance) etc. Both are enjoyable in their own ways. To me they are the best buys at this price bracket for now in terms of sound, built quality and UI/navigation (less the bugs). Not so "good" thing is, one is touchscreen, one is not. I am ok with both. And hence I'm still in a dilemma as to which to keep. I might just end up keeping both.

Hiss wise, it's probably gonna be a hit and miss. I'm not very sensitive to hiss, even with my ES5. I don't hear any on both. My friend who is sensitive to hiss says my N5 does not have it, but my DX80 has the hiss-during-play.

You probably will hate the N5 ports dust cover/flap. It's.... 

Lastly, DX80 has better battery life. Continuous play to run down the battery... both low gain moderate volume (rough volume match by ear) driving porta pro playing WAV... DX80 gets ~13hrs and N5 9hrs. Right on target per specifications.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #2,048 of 6,795

i thought it was advised to put dx80 into dac mode first before connecting to pc/player. that's what i always do and i never encountered your problems except for the 4th. i agree that sometimes it doesn't wake up. still playing but no response from any button so need to force reboot.

Hey wakokoboyz, the problem is that i mainly use my DX80 as DAC from Monday - Friday. So it stays connected to the PC. I only use it as portable player on the weekends.

Quote:

What music player are you using and what are you using the DX80 with in DAC mode?

Hello Paul, thanks for the quick response.

I tried it with foobar 2000 player using FLAC files and with VLC player using other formats (MP3, WAV).
I connected it to my Alienware Laptop running Windows 8.1.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #2,049 of 6,795
I really like the X3ll with the Fiio E12A. What I don't like is stacking so I bought the DX80 which I'm very happy with. It was worth it to me because I prefer the SQ, the Ui and I don't need to stack it.

have you tried dx80 with e12a?  there is a sound improvement? and the power output is higher?   

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,050 of 6,795

have you tried dx80 with e12a?  there is a sound improvement? and the power output is higher?   

Yes and to my ears the DX80 sounds better on its own. The DX80 is stronger all around when compared to the X3ll.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #2,051 of 6,795
Hi guys, will somebody please send an alternate link for firmware 1.14 download. Ibasso site seems to be down. Thanks

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2,053 of 6,795
I picked up a DX80 a couple weeks ago and have really only been able to start playing with it over the last day or so.   I have been loading music in preparation for a trip this weekend, but as I was listening to music I started to notice pops in the music moving from left side to right side of my iem's (shure 535).  I have also noticed songs getting cutoff at the end and hearing alot of artifacts at the end of songs that I have never heard on any other DAP i've used.   I 1st noticed it on the newest firmware, I wasn't able to use it much on 1.4 so I can't confirm that it is a new development or an old development.   I am using 2 samsung cards 1 128gb and 1 200gb both are in exfat mode but I am currently in the process of copying my music back to my computer and will format the cards to fat32 and recopy the music to the cards.

In addition, I reloaded the newest firmware and performed a factory reset afterwards.   I'm hoping this fixes the problem.   If it doesn't would this be considered a defective unit that should be returned?    

Oh, one more thing I noticed when I turn the DX80 on I hear clicking, my initial thought was that it was just the internal circuits turning on but with the other issues I'm starting to wonder.

Thanks for any information or help that can be provided
Mike 

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,054 of 6,795
  I picked up a DX80 a couple weeks ago and have really only been able to start playing with it over the last day or so.   I have been loading music in preparation for a trip this weekend, but as I was listening to music I started to notice pops in the music moving from left side to right side of my iem's (shure 535).  I have also noticed songs getting cutoff at the end and hearing alot of artifacts at the end of songs that I have never heard on any other DAP i've used.   I 1st noticed it on the newest firmware, I wasn't able to use it much on 1.4 so I can't confirm that it is a new development or an old development.   I am using 2 samsung cards 1 128gb and 1 200gb both are in exfat mode but I am currently in the process of copying my music back to my computer and will format the cards to fat32 and recopy the music to the cards.

In addition, I reloaded the newest firmware and performed a factory reset afterwards.   I'm hoping this fixes the problem.   If it doesn't would this be considered a defective unit that should be returned?    

Oh, one more thing I noticed when I turn the DX80 on I hear clicking, my initial thought was that it was just the internal circuits turning on but with the other issues I'm starting to wonder.

Thanks for any information or help that can be provided
Mike 

I don't think your unit is faulty, still a few bugs to be thinned out, a return isn't required at this stage.

The clicking noise on startup I can help you with. That's DX80's internal amp section switching on/off. There's a relay switch in the circuit which prevents any loud popping or thumping noises through your headphones on boot up and shut down. That clicking noise you hear is doing its job perfectly and completely normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back