iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 13, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2,026 of 6,795
so good with fw 1.2.1 via line out I couldn't hear any delayed playback and magically via HO doesn't shown any thump noise between track yea <-- I started to think that dx80 has to be in a colder environment ( you know in tropical country its hot every day lol )
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #2,027 of 6,795

Btw, I did more critical listening last night, analyzing FW 1.2.1 sound with different headphones, and do hear a more reference quality brighter sound in comparison to 1.1.4.  I guess it all depends which pair of headphones you are using.  With brighter signature headphones it's less noticeable, while with warmer/neutral ones it will be less subtle.  Can't explain this phenomenon, but I have experienced it with a lot of my other DAPs (FiiO, Cayin, L&P, etc) as well.  Perhaps it's related to some optimization which inadvertently changes the sound, who knows.  A theory was thrown up in the air about change of current/voltage in amp section.  That is rather a drastic change, in my opinion, which going to affect spec of the DAP.  Not sure they will go for that, but who knows...

Same here, and I like the SQ of FW 1.2.1 more than 1.1.4  I think it's not only the brightness,  channel separation improved as well IMO

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #2,029 of 6,795
MICRO SD CARD ORIENTATION:
The card closest to the screen is inserted with the lettering on the card up, toward the screen. The card for slot two, furthest from the screen goes in with the lettering down, the opposite of the card in slot 1. If a card does not go in easily and click into place, do not force the card as you can cause damage to the slot as the card is most likely being inserted in the wrong orientation.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 14, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #2,030 of 6,795
  MICRO SD CARD ORIENTATION:
The card closest to the screen is inserted with the lettering on the card up, toward the screen. The card for slot two, furthest from the screen goes in with the lettering down, the opposite of the card in slot 1. If a card does not go in easily and click into place, do not force the card as you can cause damage to the slot as the card is most likely being inserted in the wrong orientation.

Maybe we can have @jamato8 add this to the OP.

When I insert a micro sd card for the first time on a new player I treat the procedure very cautiously. Usually you will know when a card is the wrong way because 1) it does not like to insert dead straight and 2) there is a certain amount of resistance that tells you "this is wrong do not proceed"

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #2,031 of 6,795
In terms of a sound difference, I talked about it in my review, toward the end in the comparison section: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-dx80-high-resolution-audio-player/reviews/14737

Regarding everything else, it's up to you if you are more comfortable with a touch screen interface vs scroll wheel (and FiiO style UI used in Cayin) navigation.  2.5mm TRRS output of N5 is great as long as you don't have sensitive IEMs/CIEMs, otherwise too much hissing.

Great thanks! What about SE hissing? Which is better?

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #2,033 of 6,795
  Does anyone know if this unit or any Basso portables offer balanced out audio configuration please?

Ok Basso themselves just answered this question for me so I can share here...currently they don't have any. 

They tell me they are working on a new product the DX200...that will have this option. Groovy if I might say so...

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,036 of 6,795
OK some problems with the new firmware:

1. When connecting USB it will automatically change to card reader mode and you cannot pull down the top bar in card reader mode, only if you change the volume and instantly pull it down the bar will appear for me so i can change to DAC
  2. When a file already is playing and you switch to DAC it will play on full volume (i almost damaged my IEMs and busted my ear drums) the volume was set to 50.. but it must have gone all the way up, i just throwed the IEMs out of my ear out of a shock reaction
  3. When no sound is playing in DAC mode there are popping/crackling noises that repeat themself every 10-20 seconds
  4. Sometimes when in DAC mode the DX80 will not "wake up" anymore. i can press whichever button i want, the display will not come up again, also the volume controls dont work. but the sound still plays (you have to hold down the power button to switch it off and turn it on again for it to work)
  5. When nothing is playing in DAC mode i have a white noise like subtle sound all the time, i have the same sound also when in DAP mode only less loud (the volume setting does not change the volume)

Please clarify if this is "only me" - Thanks

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,038 of 6,795
Hi Paul, here's what I've experienced after 2 days on FW 1.2.1 with a single SanDisk Ultra 128GB (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA) formatted to FAT32. Music files & format are identical to my previous cards.

1. Random stuttering is still occurring. It's very random, twice on day 1 & once on day 2. When it happened, I just replayed the track & it was fine thereafter.
2. Now this is new, heard it once yesterday, a slight thump on left channel in between tracks.

The rescan library issue has been resolved, it's 100% now.

In my first highlight with FW 1.1.4, I've experienced stuttering with the Lexar card. Second Strontium card was worse, playback just halted randomly. Kindly verify this phenomenon with your team & advise if it is hardware related & if I should send it back for a post mortem.

I think the bass is now awesome - tight & precise.

Thanks & cheers.

iBasso, I believe

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2,039 of 6,795
Those who compared with X3ii, is this worth the extra £140 for more 3d soundstage and better bass?
Would a < £100 DAC achieve this connected to LO of X3ii?

For me personally, using it as a standalone DAP through the Headphone out, the DX80 is worth twice the price of the X3ii.. That's me personally. I noticed the jump in sound. As far as using it as a line out to your car, it's barely noticeable. Honestly.. They sound exactly the same to be truthful to myself. Lol..

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #2,040 of 6,795
  OK some problems with the new firmware:

1. When connecting USB it will automatically change to card reader mode and you cannot pull down the top bar in card reader mode, only if you change the volume and instantly pull it down the bar will appear for me so i can change to DAC
  2. When a file already is playing and you switch to DAC it will play on full volume (i almost damaged my IEMs and busted my ear drums) the volume was set to 50.. but it must have gone all the way up, i just throwed the IEMs out of my ear out of a shock reaction
  3. When no sound is playing in DAC mode there are popping/crackling noises that repeat themself every 10-20 seconds
  4. Sometimes when in DAC mode the DX80 will not "wake up" anymore. i can press whichever button i want, the display will not come up again, also the volume controls dont work. but the sound still plays (you have to hold down the power button to switch it off and turn it on again for it to work)
  5. When nothing is playing in DAC mode i have a white noise like subtle sound all the time, i have the same sound also when in DAP mode only less loud (the volume setting does not change the volume)

Please clarify if this is "only me" - Thanks

What music player are you using and what are you using the DX80 with in DAC mode?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back