iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 11, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #1,922 of 6,795
New Firmware !!  FW 1.2.1

I should have done a proper A/B before . . . - But, 1st impressions... In a word - !!WoW!! Super impressed

Ive been listening mostly on PM3 (warm planer over ear cans) recently - I'm pretty amazed at the 'new' extra micro detail / separation / treble energy and how
the voices seems to float beautifully in their own place within the sound stage

Going over to A83's IEM - Same basic impression... but maybe a tad too much high end energy :)

The only niggle [and it is relative] is that bass is sometimes lacking. If your a treble head or have warm cans this FW may well be a keeper
If your a lover of bass you might want more??

Its not that the bass isn't there - Reminds me of Single Armature Driver sound signature - possibly on some  tracks
there may some 'more than wanted' extra details in the Highs but Im finding it a worthy trade off.

Anyway, it was great to have different sounding sound signatures with the DX90 - I changed a few times with headphone changes  

BUT by gum does it sound good :D
Its certainly raised my respect and expectations of what this DAP can offer... Wonderful !  
L3000.gif

Interested to hear others thoughts...? 

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #1,923 of 6,795

So as i understand it, there is a change in sound with this new FW?

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #1,924 of 6,795
@Splutje- Peoples hearing & experience in this area does vary, but for me... Yes... a huge change - Its brought a whole new level to my enjoyment with the Planer's. Just feels a lot more detailed and punchy in the mids, high mids & the highs. Better clarity and air. I don't know if its technically the mids that have done this but i find vocals are far clearer now...in some cases, exceptionlly so. Also the details and the seperation of the details I find delightful. 
With my current listening set up Im 95% satisfied !!
if I was currently listening with IEM's, more, especially Armature based, i might be wanted some more bass. 
Its just my own experience with my current set up. I sure hope others have the same joy Im getting right now with this new FW ! :D

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #1,926 of 6,795
Just installed the latest firmware and to my ears the soundstage is a tad wider. Listening to Mark Knopfler's Shangri-La album in 16 bit flac and my smile is huge. Have my custom Unique Melody Miracles plugged in at a volume of 68 on low gain and the bass is very clear, punchy but enough to me. Vocals are exceptionally clear as is his guitar. Will try with different iem's and cans tomorrow

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,927 of 6,795
  Just installed the latest firmware and to my ears the soundstage is a tad wider. Listening to Mark Knopfler's Shangri-La album in 16 bit flac and my smile is huge. Have my custom Unique Melody Miracles plugged in at a volume of 68 on low gain and the bass is very clear, punchy but enough to me. Vocals are exceptionally clear as is his guitar. Will try with different iem's and cans tomorrow

Hi, did you install the fw based on prior instructions:  Removing both sd cards > installing fw onto a fat32 formatted card > insert into slot 2 > load...?  Thanks.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,928 of 6,795

If your DX80 is still new give it some time. The battery needs to be discharged and charged several times before it gets the full load capability.

Not in a million years.

Like almost any other device these days - it's a Lithium battery. Li-Ion, Li-Mn or Li-Poly it makes no matter. They have no memory effects whatsoever. No burn in. None of that.
The capacity, however, varies a little bit. ~50mah plus/minus. Other than that it is what it is.

Cheers.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,929 of 6,795
Yes I removed both micro sd cards with my music and put the firmware on a 32 gb fat32 card and put it in the slot furthest from the screen. Updated did a factory reset, turned off and installed my 2 128 gb cards. Rescanned library and turned gain to low and gapless on

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,930 of 6,795
  Yes I removed both micro sd cards with my music and put the firmware on a 32 gb fat32 card and put it in the slot furthest from the screen. Updated did a factory reset, turned off and installed my 2 128 gb cards. Rescanned library and turned gain to low and gapless on

Thanks panda!  That is exactly how I have done my previous fw updates, so I will continue to do the same. I also have a dedicated ibasso fw micro sd card.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #1,932 of 6,795
Based on memory right from 1.1.4 so may not be entirely accurate. (Will update after longer listening)
Have to say it's quite a huge change.

Less fatiguing.
Lesser but tighter bass. (To me this is more accurate. Takes a while to brain burn-in)
Sound is less congested.
Better detailing, and transparency.
Overall Balancer Sound.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,933 of 6,795
Just wondering, any of you guys compared the USB DAC capabilities with other DACs ?

Is there an official firmware changelog ?
Thanks

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,934 of 6,795
yes it is in a text file inside the firmware rar:

Improvements with this firmware:
1. Line output bug fixed when the DX80 is used as a USB-DAC.
2. Enable sorting function on Now Playing.
3. Change from file name to title name on All Music view.
4. A more accurate battery indicator on low battery.
5. Improved M3U playlist import function, allows an apostrophe on file name.
6. Improved WAV ID3 support.
7. Allow custom wallpaper to be read from either SD card slot.
8. Allow the player to display Hebrew.
9. Scroll bar added to all of My Music views.
10. Improved OTG storage support.
11. Updated WAV decode engine.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,935 of 6,795

On the DX90 this was possible by changing the JPG file into a 320x240 PNG file and rename it as: wallpaper
When you stored the PNG file in the rootfolder, it was recognized by the DX90 and became the actual wallpaper
Might also work with the DX80 (which I don't have)

The DX80 manual says you can save new wallpaper file as 480x800 png, then copy and paste it into a Micro SD card's root folder. Insert the Micro SD card into the DX80's card slot. Go to Settings/Display and you will find your wallpaper there. I am going to try that.

Update: that worked! You can put your wallpaper file on either SD card but I tried to load a couple, naming one wallpaper.png and the other one wallpaper 2.png but only the one named wallpaper.png will be recognized. Next time I inserted that SD card, I did not even have to rescan, the new wallpaper was one of the options in Settings/Display. There is probably a way to load more than one new wallpaper image but I haven't figured it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back