iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 22, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,337 of 6,795
Many thanks, laks.  I am glad that #1 is still do-able (which I had figured), and maybe #2 becomes more seamless with future fw updates.  The idea of swapping out cards to do a fw update, if one uses Exfat for their music cards, seems a bit of workaround (yet, ultimately doable).

Yes.. I see what u mean :D. I think dx80 still can read exfat (only for music).although I haven't tried it yet :D

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,338 of 6,795
Thanks HiFiChris and lcaks.  Good news if we can update the fw on Ex-fat.  Plugging in the device to a computer is easier than card swapping and such.  I guess one could re-format in Fat32, too.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,339 of 6,795
I also don't have issues with hiss on DX80.
The thing that bothers me with the "hiss" discussion on DAPs is that some people probably report it without testing on a reference (zero signal) track.
I'm worried that people claim "hiss" when it's actually just the background noise of the recording itself.

If there is more audible background noise on a particular DAP, then that means it can correctly reproduce the subtle dynamics and high frequencies, which is a good thing.
Some people praise the DAP's ability to reveal the hidden subtle details in a recording, which also means they should hear subtle recording noise too.

Can I get a link to a reference (0 track) so I can properly test?

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,341 of 6,795
Dec 22, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,342 of 6,795
More important than if you are hearing hiss with empty audio files is if you hear any (distracting) hiss at your usual listening levels, playing music (of which you know that there is no band hiss from recording/mastering).
I am a low-level listener and for me the DX80 has some more hiss than I personally like (at low to moderate volume levels), in combination with very sensitive IEMs. Nonetheless, the DX80 is a good device.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,344 of 6,795
More important than if you are hearing hiss with empty audio files is if you hear any (distracting) hiss at your usual listening levels, playing music (of which you know that there is no band hiss from recording/mastering).

I am a low-level listener and for me the DX80 has some more hiss than I personally like (at low to moderate volume levels), in combination with very sensitive IEMs. Nonetheless, the DX80 is a good device.

I don't like hearing that, the dx90 is doing a decent job on hiss right now, only hearing mild pulsating noise, the dx80 (a successor) should not put out elementary problems like hiss... It's 2015...

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,345 of 6,795
@NaiveSound

DX90 is virtually hiss-free. Though, the DX80 has some benefits as well (in my ears its soundstage is deeper and has the better layering; overall sound is more organic if you are into that; UI and operation is a major improvement).
Pulsating noise on the DX90? Huh? I don't hear such a thing. Or are you referring to the relays' clicking when powering on and off?

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,346 of 6,795
With certain fits of IEM's you can often get all finds of weird and wonderful body related noises that can be heard, even sensed
- add a bit of music at the same time at low level i could well imagine some interesting impressions of the 'DAP Sound'
when actually...
Jus' a thought :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,348 of 6,795

I remember Rob Watts mentioning in the Chord thread that people are more sensitive to the dynamic changes in the background noise as opposed to the absolute amount.
His point was that some products have virtually silent background noise in null measurements, but have tendency for the noise floor to elevate along with the music signal dynamics.

It could be due to the DAC implementation, or overdoing the amplifier circuit, causing the audio signal to pass through too many components, generate more complex noise sources that follows the music. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,349 of 6,795
Se846 just pick a up the slightest sounds, I'm surprised the microphonics are so amazing, it's awesome, I'm exited for the dx80, gets here tomorrow and I'll report as soon as I can (but you guys know allredy) It's a keeper if it sounds the same as dx90 but no noise floor

Dx90 can easily be sold for 275 to 300 on many sites, and just to ad 50$ for the next gen thing just makes sense

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,350 of 6,795
Recently received a DX80, It's a gift for my wife and I'm setting it up for her. First thing I did was install firmware 1.4. Then I copied music to a 128 gb micro Sd card, scanned the card after insertion and browsed the library. I noticed that only part of the library appears. When I search by artist, many are missing. I can find the missing artists if I look in the directory.
I then reinstalled the firmware, wiped the Sd card, reformatted as exfat, copied the music to it again (multi hour process). Rescanned the card and the same thing happens. Only worse this time. Maybe 10% of the artists show up.
 There are in the neighborhood of 5000 tracks on the sd card, mp3's and FLAC files. Some of each show up in the library. Any ideas on what's wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back