iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 21, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #1,321 of 6,795

using pinset maybe can help, 

anyway are there silent when playing dsd file over spdif out can be fixed by firmware ? 

Thanks riodgarp.  Not sure what you mean by pinset; I am guessing tweezers.  I think the spring is either missing or broken, and while I have not tried the tweezers route, I will give that a shot after I finish my scanning.  I have moved my post to the "DX80 bugs" thread, and sent Paul an IM. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,322 of 6,795

Great, do you have a list of bug fixed and new features ?  I hope to add one options to select Optical Out  ( Native, DSD, 24/88.2 PCM ) .

Hi Paul, do you have a list of what we should expect in this new fw?

The fixes will be listed when the FW comes out. We are still working on a few things so the list is not complete at this time.

Thanks riodgarp.  Not sure what you mean by pinset; I am guessing tweezers.  I think the spring is either missing or broken, and while I have not tried the tweezers route, I will give that a shot after I finish my scanning.  I have moved my post to the "DX80 bugs" thread, and sent Paul an IM. 

I will look my messages but as always we will make sure you are taken care of.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 21, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,323 of 6,795

With all of the headphones I've tried, including sensitive IEM's, I hear no hiss on the DX80 if it is not in the recording.

I also don't have issues with hiss on DX80.
The thing that bothers me with the "hiss" discussion on DAPs is that some people probably report it without testing on a reference (zero signal) track.
I'm worried that people claim "hiss" when it's actually just the background noise of the recording itself.

If there is more audible background noise on a particular DAP, then that means it can correctly reproduce the subtle dynamics and high frequencies, which is a good thing.
Some people praise the DAP's ability to reveal the hidden subtle details in a recording, which also means they should hear subtle recording noise too.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #1,324 of 6,795
I also don't have issues with hiss on DX80.
The thing that bothers me with the "hiss" discussion on DAPs is that some people probably report it without testing on a reference (zero signal) track.
I'm worried that people claim "hiss" when it's actually just the background noise of the recording itself.

If there is more audible background noise on a particular DAP, then that means it can correctly reproduce the subtle dynamics and high frequencies, which is a good thing.
Some people praise the DAP's ability to reveal the hidden subtle details in a recording, which also means they should hear subtle recording noise too.

If you cant hear it. Then do not need to be worried about it.
I tried my friend set yesterday. There are hiss too. But to him it is not audible.
He use his player to played a zero signal track and I am listening to it and tell him when he pressed the play button and when he stop the track.
Everyone have different sensitivity to hiss, so some may hear it and some may not.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,325 of 6,795
I have taken my time to allow for a proper 250 hours burn in. My DX80 review is now live which includes a section using it with the Chord Mojo.

It's on my blog gavinsgadets dot com. If you read this later than today use the search box top right or menu, reviews to read it.

Ask questions on here if you have some :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #1,326 of 6,795
  The second part of a review:

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/ibasso-dx80-revival-of-the-hero-ii/

Paul, how could they write "Output Buffer: Dual LMH65 or BUF634"? Are there different hardware revisions (and they are aware of it)?

If the buffers are of LMH65 family, which one is used?

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #1,327 of 6,795
I have taken my time to allow for a proper 250 hours burn in. My DX80 review is now live which includes a section using it with the Chord Mojo.

It's on my blog gavinsgadets dot com. If you read this later than today use the search box top right or menu, reviews to read it.

Ask questions on here if you have some
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for this Gavin, having already bought a Mojo, this was enough of a push for me to go for a DX80 also - can't wait to get my hands on it!

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,328 of 6,795

Thanks for this Gavin, having already bought a Mojo, this was enough of a push for me to go for a DX80 also - can't wait to get my hands on it!

I'm the other way round. Have the DX80 and need Mojo. 
tongue.gif

Actually, I've been taking advantage of DX80 optical out these last two days to my Tralucent DAC.

Big kudos to iBasso for adding an optical out feature, its an awesome addition. (and working flawlessly here) 

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,329 of 6,795
I'm the other way round. Have the DX80 and need Mojo. :p

Actually, I've been taking advantage of DX80 optical out these last two days to my Tralucent DAC.

Big kudos to iBasso for adding an optical out feature, its an awesome addition. (and working flawlessly here) 

Go for it. Mojo is a cracking bit of kit, really can't say enough good things about it. Now I just need I find a short electrical coaxial cable with right-angle plugs to connect the two - can't stand sticky-out cables!

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #1,330 of 6,795

Thanks for the feedback on my review. The DX80 and Mojo are a fab piece of kit. All I need is a shorter cable now :)

I'm the other way round. Have the DX80 and need Mojo. :p

The DX80 is a marvellous bit of kit that improves after a decent burn in period.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,331 of 6,795
Got my DX80 yesterday.  No sonic impressions as of yet.  Some functional observations:

+  Love the build; sleek, polished and nice
+  Really like the larger screen and GUI compared to my DX90
+  Increased storage capacity with two card slots is fab
-   My micro sd slot 2 is little wonky in that the card needs to be removed with tweezers.  Not the end of the world, and I may send it back if it becomes more problematic.
-   I wish there was a modest amount of on-board memory (similar to DX90).

Questions:  

1.  Can one connect the DX80 into a PC and drag and drop music into the two drives?  I did this with the DX90, and am assuming that it is do-able for the DX80, but I don't know.  Seems easier than having to remove micro sd cards.
2.  Related to Q1, can one install a fw update directly to the device (to one of the two "drives"), after connecting it to a PC?  Can it work with a micro sd card formatted to Exfat?

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,333 of 6,795
Just bought my dx80 yesterday and so far im really happy and amaze by the detail, separation and spacious soundstage.

Finally i can really enjoy my ad900x with his full potential.

For the price and sq,this little baby has bought me to a new stage from listening quality recording.

Ps:finally i can feel my ad900x is singing lol.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,334 of 6,795
Can one connect the DX80 into a PC and drag and drop music into the two drives?  I did this with the DX90, and am assuming that it is do-able for the DX80, but I don't know.  Seems easier than having to remove micro sd cards.
2.  Related to Q1, can one install a fw update directly to the device (to one of the two "drives"), after connecting it to a PC?  Can it work with a micro sd card formatted to Exfat?

Thanks!

1.yes you can. Im using my macbook and i can copy/remove/delate between those drive from my finder. I think windows will do just fine.

2.i think paul has mention in different thread that u need format ur microsd to fat32 and put it on slot 2 on ur dx80

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #1,335 of 6,795
1.yes you can. Im using my macbook and i can copy/remove/delate between those drive from my finder. I think windows will do just fine.

2.i think paul has mention in different thread that u need format ur microsd to fat32 and put it on slot 2 on ur dx80

Many thanks, laks.  I am glad that #1 is still do-able (which I had figured), and maybe #2 becomes more seamless with future fw updates.  The idea of swapping out cards to do a fw update, if one uses Exfat for their music cards, seems a bit of workaround (yet, ultimately doable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back