iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 26, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #736 of 6,795
  Given the more details above, do you still think my hiss issue is caused by a defective DX80?

A "normal" hiss on a device is typically constant if it is there at all.  Being able to affect the hiss by gripping the cable and wiggling/spinning the jack is the suspicious part of your description. 

Your description sounds very close to what I experienced.  So in short, yes, your DX80 may be exhibiting this problem. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #739 of 6,795

That's nasty.
Maybe you can try a factory reset: use the bootup menu by pressing power+volume up.  In that menu you navigate with the buttons in stead of the touchscreen. Or retry an install of the firmware. Use a new download of the firmware. Maybe the old download you got was corrupt.

Hope it helps!

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #741 of 6,795
What kind of transfer rates are you guys getting?

I'm quite happy with the DX80 transfer rate whilst connected via my laptop. 2.0 USB - 64GB Class 10 card.

16 MB / second. I've noticed its quite a bit faster than both DX50 and DX90.

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #742 of 6,795
... 16 MB / second. I've noticed its quite a bit faster than both DX50 and DX90.

I've never measured it, but judging from this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786443/ibasso-dx80-impressions-and-reviews-and-discussion-new-fw-1-1-4-link-1st-page/195#post_12059118

16Mbps seems about right, but 1/5 the speed possible if using a USB3 card reader.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #743 of 6,795

I'm quite happy with the DX80 transfer rate whilst connected via my laptop. 2.0 USB - 64GB Class 10 card.

Mine is around 15~22MB/s
That's the normal usb2.0 file transfer rate.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #744 of 6,795

My DX80 caps out about 16MB/s

The important thing about SD cards for DAPs is the write speed, so often the "Read" speed indicated on the packaging is not useful.

So far the best I have is Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB, which does 90MB/s write if I use a good USB3.0 card reader (Kingstone MobileLite G4 is good).

Unfortunately they don't make a 128GB version yet, so I'm using the Sandisk Ultra 128GB, and that only goes to around 16MB/s.

It makes hell of a difference, say a 2.5GB DSD album takes less than 30 seconds to copy on the Extreme Pro, but 6 minutes on the Ultra.
Imagine how long it takes to fill up the 128GB worth of music.

The amusing thing is, Sandisk is aware of this, so the advertisement page for Extreme Pro mentions the 90MB/s write speed, but the page for Ultra has absolutely no mention of the write speed at all.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extremepro-microsd
https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/ultra-microsd-for-cameras

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #745 of 6,795

Got my DX80 already today in the Mail. The first impressions are good. Happy with the way the UI is working. No lag, pretty fast and responsive. Something that Astell&Kern can learn
from iBasso for their AK Jr. Will need a few hours or days to figure out how the sound is compared to the DX90. So far i am not disappointed at all. Nice work iBasso.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #746 of 6,795

Got my DX80 already today in the Mail. The first impressions are good. Happy with the way the UI is working. No lag, pretty fast and responsive. Something that Astell&Kern can learn
from iBasso for their AK Jr. Will need a few hours or days to figure out how the sound is compared to the DX90. So far i am not disappointed at all. Nice work iBasso.

OT - could you please answer my PM concerning the non-arrival of cable bought from you 20 days ago.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #748 of 6,795
I finally got the screen working after installing the update a couple of times but now I have a new problem. I remember reading about the hiss people had with some units and I want to know what they did. My hiss is unbearable as its audible during song play back and with no playback at all also I get the pressure pops when chaining tracks.

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #749 of 6,795
Just wandering how many of you have a hiss-free DX80? Hearing all this talk about hiss has me paranoid. I have been playing various tracks from my 5500+ music library (FLAC files - Lossless) that is loaded on my DX80 trying to listen for the hiss, using Shure SE535 IEM's. Only of a few tracks can I hear any hiss (very little) and I am thinking it is more from the recording than the DX80. Most of my FLAC files when played through the DX80 presents a black background. I even tried to moved my cable around and moving the connection around on the headphone output and still no hiss. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones that got a good device or my ears are not that sensitive to detect the hiss (which I don't believe, because my hearing is really good). I ordered my DX80 from B & H Photo on November 19 and it came with fw 1.0.0 (which I immediately updated to 1.1.4).

Anyways just wandering how many of you are enjoying your DX80 without any complications, hiss, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back