iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 20, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #556 of 6,795

After researching the Fiio X7, the new Onkyo DAP and various other options I think I have finally chosen the DX80 as my DAP of choice to replace the X3ii. When does the DX80 hit UK retailers?

Should be a solid choice!  Really hard to argue against the DX80 especially because of its friendly pricing.

I would add, it's an easy choice if you don't care about Spotify/Tidal/Cloud streaming
wink.gif

Which also makes me wonder if iBasso is cooking something new/big, maybe DX110 with a full Android interface?
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #559 of 6,795
Well I return mine. The cowon plenue is the fastest UI I have used. But battery life is suspect

I almost gave up on the dx80 but then I saw you said "all music". How sluggish was it, also how fast is folder and album browsing?

On the x5 folder browsing is instant but albums have a 20-30 second lag each screen and I wouldn't dare do all music on it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #560 of 6,795
I almost gave up on the dx80 but then I saw you said "all music". How sluggish was it, also how fast is folder and album browsing?

On the x5 folder browsing is instant but albums have a 20-30 second lag each screen and I wouldn't dare do all music on it.
I think it was about 12 secs. Browsing folders didn't help either. I guess I stick with my fiio X1

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #563 of 6,795
Hey all, i noticed a small clicking when i change USB modes. Is it a relay ?

A short summary of my DX80 journey so far:

* Sound is amazing - not too harsh - bass has some punch to it but not over pronounced (burn-in for approx 30 hours - 70 more hours to go)
* User Interface is easy to understand, just like a smart phone with swiping left or right
* Software seems stable, had no issues so far. Response sometimes takes 1-2 seconds which is more than ok
* Design is very cool and i like the black silicon case that is supplied along with the DX80
* The display has a good resolution and nice colors
* Very solid feeling of the case and the buttons - very high quality grip feeling too
* Connecting via USB as Card Reader works like a charm - easy drag and drop of folders
* Even with Low gain setting my Shure SE846 are easily driven by the amp at volumes below 80
* The EQ is interesting to play around with even though i like a neutral sound (so i have it deactivated)

Way to go iBasso ! I think the other manufacturers will have a very hard time selling their overpriced products in comparison to this gem!

etysmile.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #564 of 6,795
  Hey all, i noticed a small clicking when i change USB modes. Is it a relay ?

A short summary of my DX80 journey so far:

* Sound is amazing - not too harsh - bass has some punch to it but not over pronounced (burn-in for approx 30 hours - 70 more hours to go)
* User Interface is easy to understand, just like a smart phone with swiping left or right
* Software seems stable, had no issues so far. Response sometimes takes 1-2 seconds which is more than ok
* Design is very cool and i like the black silicon case that is supplied along with the DX80
* The display has a good resolution and nice colors
* Very solid feeling of the case and the buttons - very high quality grip feeling too
* Connecting via USB as Card Reader works like a charm - easy drag and drop of folders
* Even with Low gain setting my Shure SE846 are easily driven by the amp at volumes below 80
* The EQ is interesting to play around with even though i like a neutral sound (so i have it deactivated)

Way to go iBasso ! I think the other manufacturers will have a very hard time selling their overpriced products in comparison to this gem!

etysmile.gif

How many tracks do you have loaded?

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #566 of 6,795
Hello everyone 

Has anybody compared the DX80 to Astell&Kern??

I am going to buy the AK100II but after DX80 is released I see that many people love it and some compared it to AK120II.

So I'm just wondering is the DX80 sounds that good to be compared with Astell&Kern??

How the DX80 compared to AK120, AK100II, AK120II?

While DX80 costs $359, $800 for AK100II and $1,400 for AK120II. I thought the prices tell everything

but since I have never heard any of those DAPs, I really cannot make my mind.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #567 of 6,795
For those who haven't seen this utube video yet, there's an unboxing and run down of DX80's user interface.

Will give you guys a good view of the players functionality and (current) features.

Applogies if its been posted previously, my mood to search through all current 38 pages is not terribly fond of the idea.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #568 of 6,795

While DX80 costs $359, $800 for AK100II and $1,400 for AK120II. I thought the prices tell everything

you said it yourself , the (overpriced AK) prices tell everything 
wink_face.gif

cheers

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #569 of 6,795
  Hello everyone 

Has anybody compared the DX80 to Astell&Kern??

I am going to buy the AK100II but after DX80 is released I see that many people love it and some compared it to AK120II.

So I'm just wondering is the DX80 sounds that good to be compared with Astell&Kern??

How the DX80 compared to AK120, AK100II, AK120II?

but since I have never heard any of those DAPs, I really cannot make my mind.

It basically comes down to your overall expectations of the brand. Is a Mercedes Benz an overpriced car just because it costs 3 times more than the Toyota Camry? I mean, both cars are roughly the same size, and the Camry isn't all that bad to drive. It certainly isn't 33% of what the Benz feels like to drive. It's a similar case here. The AK will no doubt be good, but whether it's worth paying for is something that only you can determine. And we can't call people who have actually bought AK players to be sheep either. 

AK is about the overall experience not just SQ. In terms of SQ, I don't think that the AK players are anything to laugh at. They're strong performing devices, but a large portion of their R&D is also dedicated to things that make a player more intuitive, look better or interface better. Ask anyone who owns an AK if he has a bad experience with the UI. The numbers are probably much fewer than those in the Fiio or iBasso camp. Even now I've seen several quibbles about Windows driver support and FW upgrades here. What iBasso prioritizes above all else is performance to price ratio, followed by device aesthetics and UI etc. AK values different things in their design pecking order so isn't purely aimed at just audiophiles, but also audio enthusiasts, who value different things. I consider myself to be an enthusiast, and that means that there are certain things I will not do or buy in the name of audiophilia, like 200 dollar cables, or lug around desktop amp/dacs as portable rigs or invest in headphones over 2000 dollars. And likewise, there are certain things I expect as a given in my DAPs. For example, I also own an IHIFI 770 player from Xuelin. And while the device is extremely competent sound-wise, it's a crapper when it comes to UI. One of the worst I've seen in a player. It sounds about 90% as good as a DX90 for far less than half the price. It should be an audiophile's best friend. But I wouldn't get another one because I hate using it. I love listening to it. But I hate dealing with it.

So everyone's mileage will vary and different priorities will be assigned to devices. If you are the sort of person who earns 80k or more per year, plunking down 2400 dollars on a AK240 for all the other reasons alongside SQ makes sense. But if you're like me, and feel that at this moment in time you can't justify that kind of money on a DAP and are willing to put up with the small issues with UI or ergonomics, then the DX80 makes a whole lot of sense.

Where I am, I can get the AK jr for 330 so definitely worth considering. But at 500? Yeah, I'd take the DX80 or the X5ii any day. I would get the DX80 over the X5ii because I love my DX90 and am an iBasso fan. Xuelin is also making huge strides in their DAPs. But aren't much good for anything other than their value ratio but not enough to make me pick one up again any time soon.

If I made even 60k per year, then I'd be able to consider players like the AK240 or at least the more mainstream stuff like the AK120ii. But that's neither here or now.  

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #570 of 6,795
Originally Posted by Kwangsun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ask anyone who owns an AK if he has a bad experience with the UI. The numbers are probably much fewer than those in the Fiio or iBasso camp.

I have an AK100 Mk2 and it's absolutely terrible in terms of UI. It's slow, buggy and prone to regular freezing. Ok, it's Astell & Kern's first effort and probably AK100II is a big improvement but this gadget is sometimes too close to being unusable. No idea about DX80 UI but I will give it a try when it's going to be available in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back