iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 14, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #421 of 6,795
I was set to get the fiio x3 ii Then I saw this... Only one question in my mind, does it read cue files? I almost exclusively listen to mixes and cue support is vital! Greatful if any of you owners out there can confirm this

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #422 of 6,795

Thats so bad its funny, all my album art that came over from iTunes (like 3 out of 10 albums) looks fine

Haha, I know right? I don't even recognize some of my album arts, I see mostly just blotches of colours here and there. It doesn't bother me that much and I'm sure iBasso is trying their best to iron out the kinks in their firmware.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #423 of 6,795
I was set to get the fiio x3 ii Then I saw this... Only one question in my mind, does it read cue files? I almost exclusively listen to mixes and cue support is vital! Greatful if any of you owners out there can confirm this

Reads cue file here, no problem.  Jamming cue mix from Future Trance vol 72 (3rd CD mix) now, I can skip tracks without a problem within cue file, reads and displays every track name and artist correctly, and the gap between track is very minimal.  It's not as smooth as gapless playback of a split mix file, but still pretty good within playback of cue file.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #426 of 6,795
Looking forward for the comparison to the ak240 too.and not to forget the dx80 has dual si times mems oscillator too..

The AK240 has the same DAC, but everything else is different. Would be quite the insult on the AK if the DX80 sounded better than the AK240. I doubt the DX80 would outperform it, but if it did, wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I always tell myself that I want an AK player, but always end up having to reconsider when I see the stuff that Fiio and iBasso put out. Anyone here have a chance to listen to the X7? reminds me of the DX100. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #427 of 6,795
  The AK240 has the same DAC, but everything else is different. Would be quite the insult on the AK if the DX80 sounded better than the AK240. I doubt the DX80 would outperform it, but if it did, wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I always tell myself that I want an AK player, but always end up having to reconsider when I see the stuff that Fiio and iBasso put out. Anyone here have a chance to listen to the X7? reminds me of the DX100. 

you are right..i doubt it too to beat AK240 by the big difference of the prices..but looking at the effort ibasso put into dx80  and the material used seems quite excellent and promising for fractions of AK240 retail pricing..on the other side,i found AK240 to be my most favourite of all AK players available including their own current flagship AK380..

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #429 of 6,795
Do you guys think the DX80 requires a portable amp even if the connected headphones aren't very hungry in terms of impedance?

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #430 of 6,795
you are right..i doubt it too to beat AK240 by the big difference of the prices..but looking at the effort ibasso put into dx80  and the material used seems quite excellent and promising for fractions of AK240 retail pricing..on the other side,i found AK240 to be my most favourite of all AK players available including their own current flagship AK380..

For sure DX80 has no way to beat AK240 in term of brand, product design, material used, build quality, user interface since the later is almost 8X more expensive.

However just compare the sound only, how much is DX80 behind AK240 since both players have the similar DAC chip?

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #431 of 6,795
Also I'm torn between the dx80 or the AK jr on which one to buy any comparisons yet between the two????

I had a chance to listen to them both, but I was only able to demo the dx80 for about 10 minutes only due to the many bugs I encountered. 
Mainly with freezes, not being able to read the memory card (64gb), not playing tracks that were selected.. Probably all initial things that could be fixed with firmware. 

Sound quality was good, but not enough to make a definitive comparison. One thing I can say is that the dx80 has noticeable hiss with my Ciems, which the AK Jr has none. I also find the dx80 pretty bulky and heavy, but then again, it does a lot more. Folder navigation is much easier on the Ak Jr, though it's a bit sluggish in comparison to the dx80. 

Cheers
James

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #432 of 6,795
For sure DX80 has no way to beat AK240 in term of brand, product design, material used, build quality, user interface since the later is almost 8X more expensive.

However just compare the sound only, how much is DX80 behind AK240 since both players have the similar DAC chip?

Why not include the FiiO X3 2nd gen as well while we're at it? Battle of dual CS4398 DACs! 
dt880smile.png

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #433 of 6,795
  Do you guys think the DX80 requires a portable amp even if the connected headphones aren't very hungry in terms of impedance?

Considering that the large bulk of DX80's internals is due to the big high voltage battery and the beefy analog amp section, I wouldn't say the DX80 "requires" a portable amp. It certainly drives my HD800 etc without any suffocation.

It might make sense to use it as a transport and hook it up to a big desktop amp (like Violectric V281 or something) if you want to drive HiFiMAN, Audez'e etc, but most portable battery operated amps wouldn't have much higher output power over DX80.

All amps sound different of course, so you might find something you prefer the sound of. You just have to be careful that sounding different doesn't always mean sounding better.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #435 of 6,795

I had a chance to listen to them both, but I was only able to demo the dx80 for about 10 minutes only due to the many bugs I encountered. 
Mainly with freezes, not being able to read the memory card (64gb), not playing tracks that were selected.. Probably all initial things that could be fixed with firmware. 

Sound quality was good, but not enough to make a definitive comparison. One thing I can say is that the dx80 has noticeable hiss with my Ciems, which the AK Jr has none. I also find the dx80 pretty bulky and heavy, but then again, it does a lot more. Folder navigation is much easier on the Ak Jr, though it's a bit sluggish in comparison to the dx80. 

Cheers
James

If this was recent the dealer should have updated the FW. From what you say it sounds like they had not done this. All of the dealers are supposed to have the latest FW now.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back