iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Aug 6, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #6,738 of 6,795
Are any of you out there having issues with your DX80 battery draining really fast when initially using it after a full charge? I've had my battery replaced once already and now I'm finding that the meter on the DX80 is showing it draining about 40-50 percent in the first hour of use. When I then go to re-charge it again, it also shows the charge level at about 50 percent.

I haven't used it a lot since the battery was last changed out. Could it be some kind of memory effect going on? Should I try to deep discharge it to say 24 percent and back up a few times to see if it reconditions?

Or is this another bad battery? If so, I guess I will need to send it in for another battery replacement. Ugh........

I love the DX80, but hate the battery.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #6,739 of 6,795
Well now I want to get an optical cable even though I usually prefer coax, hah. I work in a chemical factory that has a lot of electrical crap going on, maybe the optical cable will insure that none of that gets into my signal chain.
I know this is years late, but I have dx80 and am sold on Toslink...it is way clearer and vibrant than usb and coax.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #6,740 of 6,795
Man am I having bad luck with my lightly used DX80. I am now sending it in for another bad battery with very little use. This is the second time in two years my battery has gone bad. Also, I noticed that I can no longer remove my Micro SD card from the second slot. I tried pushing on it and it would not spring back. The card seems lodged in deeper than normal and will no longer read.

Does anyone have a solution to getting the card out and back in again? I sent my DX80 to a guy in Tuscon that Paul recommended who did a great job of replacing my battery last time. He's not sure if he can fix the card problem. I figured someone out there has had the same issue with the card slots.

Any advice on sorting this out would be appreciated.

I'm very frustrated and disappointed with my DX80 - looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new player.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #6,741 of 6,795
Are any of you out there having issues with your DX80 battery draining really fast when initially using it after a full charge? I've had my battery replaced once already and now I'm finding that the meter on the DX80 is showing it draining about 40-50 percent in the first hour of use. When I then go to re-charge it again, it also shows the charge level at about 50 percent.

I haven't used it a lot since the battery was last changed out. Could it be some kind of memory effect going on? Should I try to deep discharge it to say 24 percent and back up a few times to see if it reconditions?

Or is this another bad battery? If so, I guess I will need to send it in for another battery replacement. Ugh........

I love the DX80, but hate the battery.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
No bad luck only for you but also for me. Yesterday my DX80 broken on the - level audio button: the microswitch is gone and don't work anymore. I have just changed my first battery... and today my PB3 dont' go on anymore: it's died... I'm very disappointed.... I love iBasso but all this for me is a really disaster....

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #6,742 of 6,795
No bad luck only for you but also for me. Yesterday my DX80 broken on the - level audio button: the microswitch is gone and don't work anymore. I have just changed my first battery... and today my PB3 dont' go on anymore: it's died... I'm very disappointed.... I love iBasso but all this for me is a really disaster....
Please email me. If the PB3 requires repair we will get it done. For the DX80 as well. The micro switches have an extremely low failure rate but it can happen.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 20, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #6,744 of 6,795
Man am I having bad luck with my lightly used DX80. I am now sending it in for another bad battery with very little use. This is the second time in two years my battery has gone bad. Also, I noticed that I can no longer remove my Micro SD card from the second slot. I tried pushing on it and it would not spring back. The card seems lodged in deeper than normal and will no longer read.

Does anyone have a solution to getting the card out and back in again? I sent my DX80 to a guy in Tuscon that Paul recommended who did a great job of replacing my battery last time. He's not sure if he can fix the card problem. I figured someone out there has had the same issue with the card slots.

Any advice on sorting this out would be appreciated.

I'm very frustrated and disappointed with my DX80 - looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new player.

The battery on my DX80 has, for a while now, behaved very strangely, too.. The battery will drain slowly.. and then suddenly drain fast.. and then go back to slow. I wonder if it's a software issue.. Or maybe the battery is about to blow up.

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #6,745 of 6,795
The battery on my DX80 has, for a while now, behaved very strangely, too.. The battery will drain slowly.. and then suddenly drain fast.. and then go back to slow. I wonder if it's a software issue.. Or maybe the battery is about to blow up.
They don't blow up unless you puncture them and then they don't blow up but will ignite, which is true for any of these types of batteries. You might want to try a factory reset. And batteries are good for X amount of cycles. I know that I have gone through 5 batteries with my Samsung phone, so there is a life to these this is finite.

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #6,746 of 6,795
They don't blow up unless you puncture them and then they don't blow up but will ignite, which is true for any of these types of batteries. You might want to try a factory reset. And batteries are good for X amount of cycles. I know that I have gone through 5 batteries with my Samsung phone, so there is a life to these this is finite.

Sorry, I was exaggerating about the battery exploding.. :k701smile: Nonetheless, the DX80 has generally been good to me but the battery has always been a bit erratic. For example, right before I wrote my previous post, I was using the DX80 when I noticed that it had gone from 30% to 10% in less than an hour. Oddly, it took almost 3 hours to go from 40% to 30% . I think the cycles are still OK; I rarely fully charge my devices (I have an iPod from when I was kid that still holds a decent charge as a result, I think). But, I'll do a factory reset on the DX80 once it's charged a bit and then see what happens.

Thank you for the advice :smiley:

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #6,747 of 6,795
I'm also having battery issues with my dx80. Mine is 2 1/2 years old or so. The battery life did seem to slowly decrease over the time I've owned it, but this week, it has suddenly gone really bad. I've been using it as a DAC with my laptop for the past few months, and it has had a lot of use in that way - up to 6 or 7 hours per day, every day. I just used it as a DAP again on a plane journey, and the battery went from 100 percent to 0 percent in just over one hour! I charged it back up to 100 percent with my power bank, and again, back to 0 in about one hour of playback time. Any ideas why my battery would suddenly become next to useless?

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #6,748 of 6,795
I'm also having battery issues with my dx80. Mine is 2 1/2 years old or so. The battery life did seem to slowly decrease over the time I've owned it, but this week, it has suddenly gone really bad. I've been using it as a DAC with my laptop for the past few months, and it has had a lot of use in that way - up to 6 or 7 hours per day, every day. I just used it as a DAP again on a plane journey, and the battery went from 100 percent to 0 percent in just over one hour! I charged it back up to 100 percent with my power bank, and again, back to 0 in about one hour of playback time. Any ideas why my battery would suddenly become next to useless?
Your battery needs to be replaced. You can email me at paul@ibasso.com. I would not continue to charge your DX80 until you have a new battery.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 31, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #6,749 of 6,795

Your battery is toast. I've had to send mine in twice now in two years to be replaced. Contact Paul at Ibasso and maybe he will do something to help you out. The problem is the only place you can get a new battery is from Ibasso. You can't buy them on the open market. Here is what I found after doing some research. The DX80 uses a Lithium Polymer battery, not a Lithium Ion. Lithium Ion batteries love to be topped off, in fact, I keep my LION batteries on chargers all the time and never have battery problems with them prematurely failing.

Lithium Polymer batteries don't like to be topped off or left on the charger. They also should not be put on rapid chargers. The heat of rapidly charging them kills them. They made LP batteries to be lighter than LION, but they don't have the same amount of charge/recharge cycles. (About 200 discharge/recharge cycles vs. 400) They should be charged up to 100 percent and very soon after used. When not using them for long periods of time, they should be stored at an 80 percent charge. They also should be allowed to cool down after use before you charge them up again. In other words, they have an advantage of being lighter, but they are finicky on how they need to be cared for. There is a lot of documentation on the internet about this.

I'm not sure why Ibasso decided to use this battery technology instead of standard LION batteries. I know Ibasso paid a lot of money for these batteries and has been just as frustrated with them failing for so many of their customers.

The real shame is we should be able to replace these batteries ourselves instead of having to send them in when they fail. I didn't buy a $400 DAP to have to send it out to be replaced every two years. I didn't buy a $400 DAP to be a disposable product after two years of use. I just don't have that kind of money.

I won't be buying anymore expensive DAPS that don't allow you to replace the batteries yourself. If people stop buying these expensive DAPS that don't have user replaceable batteries, manufacturers will start making them user replaceable. (I know, Ibasso isn't the only manufacture guilty of this) This is simply done as it is cheaper to manufacture products this way. Take a look at modern laptops these days. Very few of them have user replaceable batteries. Even $1000+ Apple laptops have non-user replaceable batteries.

Once again, contact Paul as he has been very good in taking care of his customers with issues.

I hope Paul will figure out a way for us to source these batteries for the DX80 when they fail. I love the DX80, but hate the battery problems it has.

Thank you Paul for taking care of us with these battery issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back