iBasso DX320 vs. HiBy R6 Pro II (Gen 2)
Sep 13, 2023 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

babarrun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I hope this finds you all good.

I have an iBasso DX320 and looking to move to a HiBy R6 Pro II (Gen 2).

I am not all that well versed when it comes to the architecture of the system

My main plus would be to buy it for the MSEB. My main love of the DX320 is the massive screen size, and I do not envision ever changing the AMP cards.

My usage will be:
70% with TWS bluetooth headsets or adaptors (UTWS 5, Ifi Go-Pod)
10% Stellia
10% IEM's
10% docked and connected to an external amplifier (I still have the CR08)

thanks so much for any advise.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 16
Hi,

I hope this finds you all good.

I have an iBasso DX320 and looking to move to a HiBy R6 Pro II (Gen 2).

I am not all that well versed when it comes to the architecture of the system

My main plus would be to buy it for the MSEB. My main love of the DX320 is the massive screen size, and I do not envision ever changing the AMP cards.

My usage will be:
70% with TWS bluetooth headsets or adaptors (UTWS 5, Ifi Go-Pod)
10% Stellia
10% IEM's
10% docked and connected to an external amplifier (I still have the CR08)

thanks so much for any advise.
Looks like you sold the hiby. Can you tell me your experience? I have the dx320 as well, which is a great player, but not remotely portable, which is why I was thinking about the r6 pro ii.

Feb 12, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 16
I have both and I personally prefer the R6 Pro II. It suits my taste of sound better, more musical with a bit of warmth. Dx320 has a more reference tuning and in times the ROHM DAC sounds dull and lifeless to me compared to the AK4499EXEQ. Software is also way better on the R6P2. It’s more portable as well. Battery life is better on the Dx320. R6P2 has more than enough power to drive most stuff except the most demanding ones so never had the problem there either.

Given that, my daily driver nowadays is a Zx707. It beats the other two in almost every category except power which is low and sound where it’s pretty close.

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 16
320 is the better player. Why not just get the hiby app and try that 1st?
hi, I haven't sold it as yet. I didn't really use it other than to open the box and see if the MESM (Msem?) software worked its magic over Bluetooth. it didn't.
I love the screen of the DX320 and for me I was not going to carry it around. More for travel in the air or using it at the gym wirelessly. I almost never plug into it.
didn't exactly answer your question, sorry.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 16
hi, I haven't sold it as yet. I didn't really use it other than to open the box and see if the MESM (Msem?) software worked its magic over Bluetooth. it didn't.
I love the screen of the DX320 and for me I was not going to carry it around. More for travel in the air or using it at the gym wirelessly. I almost never plug into it.
didn't exactly answer your question, sorry.
Mseb does indeed work wirelessly as it is an EQ, but a DAP has no value wireless as a whole. Over Bluetooth, there is no advantage over a phone. An audio player only uses its hardware when you used with cables, as it converts the digtal signal to analog (hence the name DAC-- digital to analog converter). You won't notice an advantage over Bluetooth because one doesn't exist. If it's only for Bluetooth, sell your dap and get a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones. Momentum 4 and the go pods are both good options. Bathys and edifier stax are both good as well I hear. If you want to take advantage of having a DAP, plug your iems in, my man!

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 16
Mseb does indeed work wirelessly as it is an EQ, but a DAP has no value wireless as a whole. Over Bluetooth, there is no advantage over a phone. An audio player only uses its hardware when you used with cables, as it converts the digtal signal to analog (hence the name DAC-- digital to analog converter). You won't notice an advantage over Bluetooth because one doesn't exist. If it's only for Bluetooth, sell your dap and get a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones. Momentum 4 and the go pods are both good options. Bathys and edifier stax are both good as well I hear. If you want to take advantage of having a DAP, plug your iems in, my man!
Thanks.

I bought it to use the LDAC codec with my LDAC capable headphones. FiiO and Svanar’s.

My iPhone doesn’t support higher res codecs..

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 16
In my year I didn’t not see MSEB impact sound over Bluetooth. In fact it made no difference to being activated.

If you got it to work please let me know as then I probably won’t sell it.

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks.

I bought it to use the LDAC codec with my LDAC capable headphones. FiiO and Svanar’s.

My iPhone doesn’t support higher res codecs..
I see. Looks like you're in England. No idea what the phone situation is there. In the states, most phones do. I have a Samsung phone with ldac

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 16
In my year I didn’t not see MSEB impact sound over Bluetooth. In fact it made no difference to being activated.

If you got it to work please let me know as then I probably won’t sell it.
I didn't have any special tricks. I just clicked the "enable" button at the top and then played with the sliders until I got the sound I wanted. I enable the eq also so that I have even more options to play with. Mseb is just an eq in essence. If you didn't notice it, try changing the settings in mseb Near the top right to "excessive" . Photo below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216_074438_HiByMusic.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216_074438_HiByMusic.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 16
I didn't have any special tricks. I just clicked the "enable" button at the top and then played with the sliders until I got the sound I wanted. I enable the eq also so that I have even more options to play with. Mseb is just an eq in essence. If you didn't notice it, try changing the settings in mseb Near the top right to "excessive" . Photo below
Interesting. Will go play with it later. Then I can't decide which to keep if itnwoeks as the dx320 has grown on me.
And you've tested this on ldac?

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 16
Interesting. Will go play with it later. Then I can't decide which to keep if itnwoeks as the dx320 has grown on me.
And you've tested this on ldac?
Yep. Was doing it this am.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 16
SO , listening to these 2 daps right now back and forth. I don't know that I can tell the difference in terms of SQ, which is a huge compliment to the r6 pro ii, since it costs half as much. DX320 might be slightly wider, and might have slightly more refined treble, but not sure I could say that in a blind test. They are pretty darn close using Hiby music with the same mseb settings.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 16
Bass has a little more presence with amp 14 on the dx320, but it is close. DX is not portable though. Bigger than my phone. R6 pro is about the same size as a phone, so the r6 does represent a good solution for on the go with minimal compromise.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 16
I had the DX320x and now have the Hiby R6PII. Imo they are a bit different in tonality (the Hiby being a bit warmer) but equally good in sound quality. No reason to change from one to the other in that respect. Same goes for the usability as both are fast and snappy with the Hiby using a newer Android version.

If I had to choose between the two with money not being a factor I would choose the DX320x for two reasons:

1. a wheel to control loudness is much better in my book
2. the DX320x is Roon ready and allowed bit perfect or even upsampled playback via Roon & ARC, the Hiby is still limited to 24-48.

I have always had very good experiences with iBasso and only sold my DX320x because I had the chance to get an equally good sounding device and spare quite some cash selling the iBasso. I will not rebuy a totl device before DAPs will make use of Android 14 or higher. Quite likely it will be an iBasso again. Until then I will keep my Hiby as I am very satisfied it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back