iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
May 24, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #646 of 3,626
Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #647 of 3,626
Ok, then the Max is still smaller and thinner than Cube....but heavier LOL!

the one thing Max doesn’t have is the physical buttons =/. This will be problematic if you have screen off to preserve battery....unless you have it always on at minimal brightness

Max is also higher pricing as well....hugely competitive eh ? Max is flagship where as Cube isn’t

Cube will have it sells at the 9038Pro x2 where as Max is 9028Pro X2

Max will have it sells at 5 batteries packs and no DC-DC conversions, with Class A discrete amp and 4.4

While Ibasso allow full open android, Cube is following A&K motivations I believe ? Like not allowing digital filters ?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #648 of 3,626
Ok, then the Max is still smaller and thinner than Cube....but heavier LOL!

the one thing Max doesn’t have is the physical buttons =/. This will be problematic if you have screen off to preserve battery....unless you have it always on at minimal brightness

Max is also higher pricing as well....hugely competitive eh ? Max is flagship where as Cube isn’t

Cube will have it sells at the 9038Pro x2 where as Max is 9028Pro X2

While Ibasso allow full open android, Cube is following A&K motivations I believe ? Like not allowing digital filters ?

Frankly I seldomly use the physical buttons and sometimes they are more problems than useful. For example buttons on SPx000/M devices the buttons are useless - too small and (especially with the case) pressing on the right one is just a matter of luck. I normally only 'pause', and that can be implemented as double click on the power button and the problem solved. At least for me.

I also prefer the SW platform of iBasso to AK. Most importantly, iBasso supports BT receive mode, which AK does not even with SP2000. I use it a lot, especially when I am at my desk and want to quickly switch to e.g. my computer.

For the weight: They are both bricks, 100g more or less, does not really matter. :p

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #649 of 3,626
Plus needing to plug into a wall socket really takes away it's portability. It'll be interesting to compare the battery life as well. Really hope the combined battery lasts close to the 14 hour mark

May 24, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #652 of 3,626
Bit of a strange beast; portable-ish size, but definitely not portable weight - 200g more than a KANN CUBE; what's its use case? Portable or desktop?
I would actually love something like this. A bit bigger than a DAP and more powerful to drive full size cans, so I can use it as a transportable desktop setup either in my office upstairs, working downstairs at the dinner table or kicking back on the sofa. Nice simple solution for a lot of uses without the need to get into a fixed desktop setup. Seems very practical to me.

May 24, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #654 of 3,626
Same slow processor (??), same dac chip implementation, same screen quality(??), only 128gb internal storage and only one sd slot. So basically a bigger battery and upgraded amp components for $1,000 over a DX220? Where is the value in this and where is the upgrade in technology to warrant $1,900?
I would like to add one more thing about the processor: I think one of the reasons why iBasso (and also A&K on SP2000) is still using the older (2015) RK SoC is DSD512. It was a question asked, why FiiO M15 is not supporting DSD512, and James from FiiO said that the I2S bus of the SoC is not supporting it, and it is a much stronger controller from Samsung. I don't know if there is any other DAP that supports DSD512 _and_ Android, but chances are that, switching to a new processor/SoC could mean losing the DSD512 capability.

(An open question for me is how Lurker's firmware works over the XMOS chip (pure USB access mode) - how it is connected to the rest of the system that this mode of operation is possible.)

But anyway... People complain a lot about things, about the size and features and heat and processor etc. etc. Unfortunately there is nothing that thicks all the boxes - all these parameters play against each other. And a new processor would most probably mean losing the DSD512 feature, which is a "one of its kind" feature for iBasso TOTL DAPs. The SoCs are not built really for such niche products, but rather for other mobile platforms like mobile phones, for which DSD512 is not an important point. DSD512 over USB did not sound any different for me on M15, but on DX220 the difference was quite obvious (and I had it confirmed with my wife - which she did not like, as she did not like hearing that much of details).

So...it is all about the preference, and today we are just spoiled with all those amazing products in the market.

If DSD512 is such a big deal, why not increase the internal storage to at least 512gb, or add a standard SD card slot for such a large device?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #655 of 3,626
Same slow processor (??), same dac chip implementation, same screen quality(??), only 128gb internal storage and only one sd slot. So basically a bigger battery and upgraded amp components for $1,000 over a DX220? Where is the value in this and where is the upgrade in technology to warrant $1,900?

If DSD512 is such a big deal, why not increase the internal storage to at least 512gb, or add a standard SD card slot for such a large device?
The screen is one the best looking on the market, much better than units costing even more. And there is much more (do some reading, I have), to the Max than what you mention. But then, no one is twisting your arm to buy it.

May 24, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #656 of 3,626
I would actually love something like this. A bit bigger than a DAP and more powerful to drive full size cans, so I can use it as a transportable desktop setup either in my office upstairs, working downstairs at the dinner table or kicking back on the sofa. Nice simple solution for a lot of uses without the need to get into a fixed desktop setup. Seems very practical to me.
And to add to that...out on the deck.

May 24, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #657 of 3,626
And to add to that...out on the deck.
Oh yes....
1590343164645.gif

May 24, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #659 of 3,626
It'll take some getting used to not having the side buttons to skip or pause music.

Good thing you guys had this discussion as I was about to pull a trigger on dx220 max. I tend to skip the songs a lot
in dark so need to have the skip button. I tried to work it out with R2R2K having no skip button in the past but finally I gave up.

May 24, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #660 of 3,626
Good thing you guys had this discussion as I was about to pull a trigger on dx220 max. I tend to skip the songs a lot
in dark so need to have the skip button. I tried to work it out with R2R2K having no skip button in the past but finally I gave up.

I hope and guess that it shouldn't be an issue to implement multiple actions for the power button, like single short press for pause, double short press for skip, single long press etc. Very long press for power off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back