iBasso DX200 (2016) Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

faw88

100+ Head-Fier

Retail : $869, The Latest iBasso DX200 will definitely give the best DAP's out there a run for their money. I'm hard pressed to find anything out there which has better specs and is even near this price range. It's the only DAP out there with android 6.0, and Dual ESS Sabre 9028Pro DACs. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this wonderful DAP. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 40
Pardon me, but what's the difference between this DX200 and the one people have been talking about since 2015?  How would someone know which one they were buying?  There's one on Amazon which is being offered for $949USD, would that be this one or last years?

Thanks,
pat----

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 40
  Pardon me, but what's the difference between this DX200 and the one people have been talking about since 2015?  How would someone know which one they were buying?  There's one on Amazon which is being offered for $949USD, would that be this one or last years?

Thanks,
pat----

The thread from 2015 began with discussion of possible specifications for the DX200. Now it has been released early this year 2017 with finalised specs. There is only one iBasso DX200 on the market. So the Amazon listing is for the one DX200 released for sale officially and no other.

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 40
I had just tried the dx200 (on amp 1) for a short while (1.5 hrs). I come from Onkyo Dp-x1 (and fiio x3 before that). Here are my thoughts. Note that one man's meat is another's poison, you have to listen and judge the sound personally before you purchase.
IEM1: Empire Ears Arthur + Excalibur cable
IEM2: Zeus XR Adel + plussound silver-gold litz (yes, unusual pairing, but it is my favorite combination for acoustic tracks)
Output: 2.5mm trrs
Impressions: (all equipments I used were fully burned-in.) Dx200 has an airy and transparent sound. It's bass quantity is controlled and textured. It is also slightly bright.
It didn't pair well with Zeus XR, but is awesome on Arthur. Both are very sensitive iem, and has some hiss when plugged into the dx200. The hiss is negligible on Arthur but quite significant on Zeus.
Compared to Onkyo DP-x1 (ACG mode), dx200 has a more extended treble and slightly wider soundstage. Imaging is equally precise. DP-x1 sounds deeper has thicker mids and somewhat looser bass. The DX200 is faster and has a more textured bass. I know this might be a preferred sound more many, I didn't like it, especially on the Zeus R + Plussound silver-gold combo, which is already very bright and lean.
As for Arthur, it sounds better than Zeus on dx200 in terms of bass quantity, but it still sounds marginally better on Dp-x1 to me.
This is not to discredit the highly anticipated dx200, it's simply that I don't enjoy the sound when it is paired with the particular IEMs I happened to pair with. However, I guess the dx200 would sound very good with Noble K10, Lime Ears Aether and Custom Art Harmony 8.2, all of which sound less analytical and have more mid-bass impact than Zeus.
As for the software, I found the Android UI responsive and sleek. The stock music player has 6 (or is it 8?) digital filters to choose from, much like the Dp-x1. Each filter yields a slightly different sound texture without altering the overall sound signature and presentation. However, the filter settings seems to be exclusive to the stock music app, as opposed to the global implementation in DP-x1, so one may not be able to choose the filter when usong third party music apps or streaming services. Hopefully they can implement the digital filter as a global setting in the upcoming firmware updates.
I didn't have the time to test out the Mango system so I can't comment on that. On a side note, the battery life dropped by around 10% during my period of usage, and there's a significant amount of heat produced by the DAP.
Personally I don't see it as an upgrade from the Dp-x1. It is definitely a boon that it has a swappable AMP unit, and I would like to see more amp modules with different sound signatures. The Android system also needs to be improved to make the dap more power efficient and utilise the sound chips optimally.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 40
Can the DX200 be used as a DAC/headphone amp for an iPhone 7? If yes, does it need the camera connection kit? If no, will this feature be added via firmware? Thanks

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 40
I think I need this 
blink.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 40
Very tempted by the DX-200...But as I have a dx-90 and pair it with a Chord mojo....Not sure I can justify. The interface would be a huge improvement over the dx-90, but overall would the sound of the dx-200 be any better than the dx-90/mojo combo?

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 40
As the dx200 uses Android 6.0, is it possible to load other music apps like Pandora on it?

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 40
Oooooh, being able to play from some streaming sources like Pandora or Tidal with the additional quality really makes this a game changer for me.  I listen to mostly carefully ripped Flac files, some hi-rez and some DSD when I can find them, but rounding it out with streaming sources is excellent.  

Does it take just one Micro SD card?  I have the DX80 and it takes two.  What's the capacity?

Any feedback on battery life?

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 40
Just received mine. Had about 6hrs of burn in. Love it so far. Only issues I have are what seems to be the amp could use a little more power. And when in mango player I cannot seem to get it to play genre through. But that is probably user error. But the sound is amazing and it is extremely well crafted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back