iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Jul 21, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,411 of 1,665
Has anyone else found the DX-170 to be unstable? When it works, it surpasses the performance of other DAPs in its class. But like Hamlet or other tragic heroes, the DX-170, for me, is plagued with the tragic flaw of … unreliability.

I started my journey with the DX-160, which introduced me to these same tragic flaws. I had to return the first DX-160 because after working for a couple of weeks, it froze and would not exit the startup routine. The second DX-160 did not have that flaw, but it would frequently (more than once per song) stumble upon the internet connection and interrupt its streaming play. I returned it. (No other DAP that I had experienced this problem on my internet). IBasso, throughout all of these experiences, was of utmost help and most responsive.

When the DX-170 came out, the first one worked most of the time, but then again froze up within the Amazon return period. It also developed an intermittent connection in its output. Like the DX-160, I returned it for replacement. The second one, for a particular charger, would not show that it was receiving a charge, leaving the charge indicator low. It worked OK on other chargers, so I kept it after first requesting yet another return.

Now, the DX-170 keeps dropping my internet connection, which of course keeps it from streaming music. If I reconnect it, it works for a while, but then drops it again.

Like a Shakespearean tragic figure, the DX-170, for me, has some exceptional qualities but exhibits the tragic flaw of unreliability. My Sony ZX-507, on the other hand, always, ALWAYS works, but not with quite the exciting sound quality nor the great user interface of the DX-170.
Sorry you are seeing these issues. Mine has been, knock on wood, very reliable. I don't get any freezing or interruption of play. My output jacks are also rock solid so far. The only issue mine has is if I leave it in Standby i.e. not shutdown but not being used, the battery drains fairly quickly. I now just shut if down completely after each use and the battery life has been more than adequate.

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #1,412 of 1,665
I still have my DX160 and have seen the same issues. The supplied Mango player is a crutch, it never convinced me, I'm not be impressed by the operation and the functions. For this reason I gave the Windows program "ADBAppControl" a chance to edit installed apps and that was the breakthrough. Since I don't use Google and therefore also not the App Store, I virtually deleted all relevant Google files and the Mango player. These apps will no longer load, no longer appear in the system and no longer take up memory space in RAM. I installed an app tailored to my needs and am satisfied. As far as the connection with WiFi is concerned, I only use the 5GHz frequency. No crashes since the change, totally stable.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #1,413 of 1,665
Never any issues with the DX170. BT and Wifi work well and reads and plays saved music without problems.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #1,414 of 1,665
My biggest issue is battery life. When streaming Apple Music I get somewhere between 2-3 hours, Plus the device gets very warm - this is most definitely due to the screen being on. With the screen off, I get about an extra hour.

Still pretty bad for this day and age.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #1,415 of 1,665
My biggest issue is battery life. When streaming Apple Music I get somewhere between 2-3 hours, Plus the device gets very warm - this is most definitely due to the screen being on. With the screen off, I get about an extra hour.

Still pretty bad for this day and age.
There is a lot going on when you stream and have the screen on. Even my iPhone will lose a lot of battery doing that. Use it then with a charger or external battery.

Jul 23, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #1,417 of 1,665
im going to sell my ibasso. i bought it 25th november here in the uk. i used it not much at all because i bought the new little sony in the march. any uk buyers interested? was thinking around 300£

also have the miter case which id send with it included.
sony a306 is a toy. it is not hi class player... ibasso MUCH, MUCH better power, sound, and quality. Don`t sell it you will regret, 100%

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #1,418 of 1,665
I hadn't used my DX170 for a while, was going to listen to some music, but alas the battery was really low and wouldn't boot.
Charging it up, but battery drain with the unit off, is a bit disturbing. Anybody else come across this?

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,419 of 1,665
I hadn't used my DX170 for a while, was going to listen to some music, but alas the battery was really low and wouldn't boot.
Charging it up, but battery drain with the unit off, is a bit disturbing. Anybody else come across this?
Is the unit "OFF"? Did you hold the volume button down actually Power the unit OFF? If you just stopped listening and shut the screen down the unit is in Standby mode and not really off. I had the same issue until I started powering the unit all the way off. Now my battery will hold firm between sessions.

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,421 of 1,665
sony a306 is a toy. it is not hi class player... ibasso MUCH, MUCH better power, sound, and quality. Don`t sell it you will regret, 100%
nah. i played them next to each other and they sound the same.

plus the ibasso doesnt integrate with Chromecast for most apps, which for me is an important thing.

as i have both, comparing them next to each other, i think the sony is better.

cheers

Jul 24, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #1,422 of 1,665
I've been waiting for this new firmware update 1.05 on the wifi through the DX 170 and still after almost 4-5 days it still hasn't appeared, this is the only way I know how to update it as I'm not too smart on doing it any other way, it's a little frustrating waiting as my DX 170 has been really slow/sluggish and I'm hoping this new firmware will improve the user experience.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #1,423 of 1,665
Jul 24, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #1,425 of 1,665
Download the latest firmware. Then unpack them. It contains the update file and instructions on how to perform the update. Update and rejoice... All very simple. I've already updated to version 1.05...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back