iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Aug 4, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #183 of 1,635
The
How is the BT dac SQ of dx170?
I have the Sony BT headphones and the sound quality is very good. I also have the Koss BT, which are the Koss PortaPro in BT and it is all a light package and enjoyable. Also, extremely good range in the house and outside even more range with out the wall etc.

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #184 of 1,635
How is the BT dac SQ of dx170?
Now that I've learned to read, and operate an iBasso device (it's not like I haven't spend 100s of hours with a DX160), I can attest that the quality of Bluetooth receiving as a DAC is also quite good. I'm using my iPhone for testing, so I can only connect with AAC, but after listening to a few tracks, it doesn't sound compressed or like I'm losing much in terms of resolution. Bass is tight, treble is crisp. I wandered around the office a bit and didn't lose the connection within about 20-25 ft.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #185 of 1,635
Listening to the DX170 via 64 Audio U18S. The 170 seems to be a particularly good match for warm gear.

Liking what I hear so far. Will give my more complete thoughts in a few days when I’ve some more sessions under my belt.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #186 of 1,635
Still only available for pre-order at the only UK stockist I can find. The wait is killing me. We are really behind here when it comes to availability of Chinese audio brands :expressionless:

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #187 of 1,635
The DX170 soc spec has made me nostalgic of my first android phones, my first being the Sony xperia ion, with 1gb ram and Android 2, released in 2012, and my second android phone the LG g3, with 2gb ram and Android 4, released in 2014, good times.

I'm just busting balls. I know it is expected in this price range. I am more tempted by the DX240, but having yet another expensive android device in addition to my phone doesn't quite sit right with me either. I guess I just wish the DX170 had 4gb ram, the soc could stay the same.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #188 of 1,635
I love it! Comparison pics with N8ii because why not.

A03624D4-EEBD-4440-BBE8-12F2D9E62F02.jpeg2E421B1B-123D-49E5-827B-DDAE89EECA26.jpeg

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #189 of 1,635
@aaf evo curious if you had a chance to hear the N3Pro and how that compares to the DX170? I'm very curious / interested to see a comparison between these two.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #191 of 1,635
@aaf evo curious if you had a chance to hear the N3Pro and how that compares to the DX170? I'm very curious / interested to see a comparison between these two.

Will charge N3pro later tonight and let you know. Haven't used it in ages.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #192 of 1,635
Will charge N3pro later tonight and let you know. Haven't used it in ages.
Amazing, thanks, that would be appreciated!

I love the N3Pro for what it is but the BT performance is subpar and cuts in and out so much which makes it pretty much unusable. If I can find similar qualities of the N3Pro but with a solid BT connection, I'm in! The DX170 looks like it might be able to fit the bill, but not sure what kind of sound signature it has in comparison. I love the warmth and dynamic range of the N3Pro both in solid state and tube mode. It's pretty outstanding for the price point. The DX170 looks like it might give it a good run for the money.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #193 of 1,635
Amazing, thanks, that would be appreciated!

I love the N3Pro for what it is but the BT performance is subpar and cuts in and out so much which makes it pretty much unusable. If I can find similar qualities of the N3Pro but with a solid BT connection, I'm in! The DX170 looks like it might be able to fit the bill, but not sure what kind of sound signature it has in comparison. I love the warmth and dynamic range of the N3Pro both in solid state and tube mode. It's pretty outstanding for the price point. The DX170 looks like it might give it a good run for the money.

Got to it "earlier" than "later tonight", and turned out that N3Pro still had some battery left. As you aware, N3 Pro 4.4mm is SS only while its 3.5mm is switchable between SS/Tube. First of all, DX170 soundstage is a bit wider and imaging is more holographic than N3 Pro (both 4.4mm and 3.5mm). In terms of tonality, N3 Pro 4.4mm SS output sounds different with boosted mid-bass and brighter upper mids when testing and comparing using Jewel. When I compare N3 Pro 3.5mm tube output to DX170 4.4mm output, it is actually very close, didn't realize that DX170 output will be closer to Raytheon JAN6418 tube output of N3 Pro :) I still find DX170 to be more holographic, but tonality and dynamics is very close in that latter comparison.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #194 of 1,635
Got to it "earlier" than "later tonight", and turned out that N3Pro still had some battery left. As you aware, N3 Pro 4.4mm is SS only while its 3.5mm is switchable between SS/Tube. First of all, DX170 soundstage is a bit wider and imaging is more holographic than N3 Pro (both 4.4mm and 3.5mm). In terms of tonality, N3 Pro 4.4mm SS output sounds different with boosted mid-bass and brighter upper mids when testing and comparing using Jewel. When I compare N3 Pro 3.5mm tube output to DX170 4.4mm output, it is actually very close, didn't realize that DX170 output will be closer to Raytheon JAN6418 tube output of N3 Pro :) I still find DX170 to be more holographic, but tonality and dynamics is very close in that latter comparison.
Thanks for that!

I think you sold me on it. Gonna have to find a Canadian distributor and pull the trigger. Sounds really compelling and I would definitely value/appreciate the wider soundstage and more holographic imaging.

In terms of tonality and dynamics, if you had to tip the scale, which DAP would you say would do it better and give you the more relaxed upper mids/lower treble? I like em more relaxed on that front but appreciate a nice bass slam.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #195 of 1,635
Thanks for that!

I think you sold me on it. Gonna have to find a Canadian distributor and pull the trigger. Sounds really compelling and I would definitely value/appreciate the wider soundstage and more holographic imaging.

In terms of tonality and dynamics, if you had to tip the scale, which DAP would you say would do it better and give you the more relaxed upper mids/lower treble? I like em more relaxed on that front but appreciate a nice bass slam.

Splitting hairs here, and the scale might tip one way or the other depending on pair up synergy with your iems/headphones. In general, I do find Cayin DAPs to have a little more boost around low end and a bit more energy bite around upper end. DX170 seems to have a well tuned neutral/natural sound. Btw, thanks to @aaf evo for the reminder about NOS filter on DX170. Switching to NOS does exactly what you are looking for, more relaxed sound presentation and a bit less sparkle in treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back