iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Mar 30, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #1,606 of 1,635
Yes! It is totally crap.

I can't figure out if it's a file number or size limit, but I added a few albums to download on the SD card and it failed to play all. Would just crash my app. Deleted a few albums and back in service.

I cannot imagine a slower device than this. It takes a long time just to long press an album to delete, or scroll a list from the under powered graphics.

Unless you find your equilibrium this isn't going to be a nice experience for general use. I would not recommend this device for the average person after a few months use. I'm already dreaming of something that isn't totally underpowered on the OS.
I use 1tb cards and no issue. It is fast, well as fast as my iPhone, so couldn't ask for much more. Maybe a tagging issue.

If you are having issues with scanning I would email Paul if it was different on a previous firmware or check your files.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #1,607 of 1,635
Fired up my dx170 today to sit down and relax to some music via Apple Music only to be given a screen “Apple music no longer runs on rooted android devices”

I don’t remember rooting mine. Rebooted and now the app just refuses to load at all.
Happened to me this morning.

Both Apple Music and Apple Classical are not working. @ibasso can't say I'm very impressed

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #1,609 of 1,635
I can't figure out if it's a file number or size limit, but I added a few albums to download on the SD card and it failed to play all. Would just crash my app. Deleted a few albums and back in service.

I cannot imagine a slower device than this. It takes a long time just to long press an album to delete, or scroll a list from the under powered graphics.
What kind of file number or size limit are you talking about in your case? And what player app are you using that just crashes when a few more are added?

The built-in Mango Player I find uses a very hungry database file, especially if you have large album art embedded. Perhaps this library file has reached some kind of limit in the OS. And I also find this same app takes an incredibly long time to scan. I abandoned this long ago.

Other players like Neutron, Poweramp, Foobar, and GoneMAD scan much faster and don't seem to have such large database files in their folders. I tend to use Neutron most often, although I have found that each app has its own merits.

EDIT: For reference I have about 26k song files, mostly lossless ALAC and FLAC, on a 1TB SanDisk card. The card is about 65% full at this point. Other than Mango, the other apps I use tend to scan through this in about 10-12 minutes from fresh. When just adding new tracks scans are much faster than that.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #1,611 of 1,635
Fired up my dx170 today to sit down and relax to some music via Apple Music only to be given a screen “Apple music no longer runs on rooted android devices”

I don’t remember rooting mine. Rebooted and now the app just refuses to load at all.

Happened to me this morning.

Both Apple Music and Apple Classical are not working. @ibasso can't say I'm very impressed

This will help you. Uninstall the latest Apple Music app 4.7.0 and install the 4.6.0 from Apkpure until the firmware will be released to fix this issue.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...d-portable-player.965428/page-7#post-18046788

@Paul - iBasso Are you working on it? (Possible solution is to delete "SU binary" from the current firmware.)
FYI: https://twitter.com/AssembleDebug/status/1764191626564604087

EDIT: I've confirmed iBasso is working now on this issue.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #1,614 of 1,635
Hello!!

Is the Ibasso dx170 a good dap in 2024, or are there better options available today?
To play streaming a local files.
I use it often portable as it is light in weight, sounds good and I have no issues with it. I use a 1tb card with it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #1,616 of 1,635
Good morning,

It all depends on your budget and your way of listening to music.

The DX170 for a budget of less than €450 is a very good choice for the following reasons:
- very good balanced sound which is equally suitable for Pop, Jazz, Classics, Electronic…
- much smaller than an iPhone 11 but a little thicker. It is one of the smallest DAP but is not low-end either in its manufacturing quality or its sound quality.
- Android system v. 11 relatively recent (for a DAP). There is only one DAP under Android 13 (to my knowledge) and very few Android 12. And DAPs released after the DX170 are under Android 10.
iBasso is a serious brand according to the sponsors of those who have needed after-sales service, they are responsive, efficient and very reasonable prices.
The system update is approximately between 2 and 3 years. the DX170 is released in 2022.
- For use in local playback (SD card) with wired headphones, there is no problem. the system is slow but when you are in your Player to listen to the music no worries.
- Mango Player is (for me) one of the most beautiful players and easy to use.
- The protective shell supplied with it is transparent, not as pretty as the "leather" cover but with this one, it is not necessary to remove the cover to change the SD card.
- For installing updates or music, I recommend putting the SD card in a computer (Mac or PC) it's faster...

Do not take DX 170 for the following reasons:
- If you have a budget of €900 to €1000, take the DX 260 instead, it outperforms it in all areas.
- There is also the Hiby R6 III, a little more expensive than the DX170 but more powerful. the sound is less balanced but the different system equalization systems allow you to rebalance the sound or define it to your liking. Be careful: when you can configure something in a very specific way, you can take it to the best or worst!!!
- the DX170's battery is quite small, for local listening, I recommend deactivating WiFi which in this case is useless.
- For the same reason the DX170 is unsuitable for streaming listening, moreover the little RAM means that navigation in this case is slow and music downloading takes quite a long time.

NB: the DX260 and Hiby R6 III are 2 recent DAPs (end of 2023 - beginning of 2024). Not all manufacturers have firmware updates after 2 years.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #1,618 of 1,635
i have the ibasso 170 and the sony walkman a306. the walkman is much better in terms of performance and support from sony. they sound about the same.

i would take the aune m1p over both of them, however you want streaming so not for you.
I have a few Sony products from less expensive to expensive and I never got very good customer support. Emails not answered and slow to update firmware and little of it. Only my Sony pro service for all my cameras is good but I pay for that.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #1,619 of 1,635
I just wanted to mention I've been very impressed with the Ibasso customer service related to my DX170. I found an issue with the parametric EQ distorting the bass to the point I couldn't use it. I emailed back and forth and Ibasso was able to recreate the issue and said they are releasing a firmware update to fix it. Not sure when but so far I'm impressed.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,620 of 1,635
I have a few Sony products from less expensive to expensive and I never got very good customer support. Emails not answered and slow to update firmware and little of it. Only my Sony pro service for all my cameras is good but I pay for that.
a306 has already had about 4 updates and an upgrade to android 13

the dx170 is still on android 11 and can't display ui elements properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back