iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** NEW Firmware: 1.06 Apple support and other additions! ***
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #136 of 1,635
Decisions, decisions; what colour to go for?

Finally decided it was time to pick up a dap to replace the LG V30 after listening to some of A&K's offerings (namely the SR25 MKII) at CanJam London. I'd always wondered if it would be worth it over a phone with a decent DAC, and it turns out that it is. The difference in sound quality was immediately noticeable. Although a large part of that is likely down to the amp stage, as the V30's DAC is still pretty decent, in my humble opinion.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #137 of 1,635
Finally received it and loving the looks. It is much much smaller than DX320 in person, currently planning to take a listen tonight :)
They are going compact with their recent devices. I got my hands on the DX240 for a small session at a friend's place. I was expecting it to be a little bigger hehe.

dx2230.jpg

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #138 of 1,635
Decisions, decisions; what colour to go for?

Finally decided it was time to pick up a dap to replace the LG V30 after listening to some of A&K's offerings (namely the SR25 MKII) at CanJam London. I'd always wondered if it would be worth it over a phone with a decent DAC, and it turns out that it is. The difference in sound quality was immediately noticeable. Although a large part of that is likely down to the amp stage, as the V30's DAC is still pretty decent, in my humble opinion.
I chose blue, combined with that fading silver effect would make a unique appearance among the dap crwods

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #140 of 1,635
if 2GB DAPs are potentially a problem for streaming then maybe the FiiO M11 Plus ESS. it is 250 USD (6 000 CZK) more expensive but has 4GB.
It was in my interest as well. With a better cpu. But again it's more than 50% the price of the DX170,

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #141 of 1,635
if 2GB DAPs are potentially a problem for streaming then maybe the FiiO M11 Plus ESS. it is $250 more expensive but has 4GB.

But then, why stop at M11+ (lower output power, higher output impedance) when you can add a few more bills and get something even better? :) Or go the other way, use your smartphone as a super fast streaming source and add a quality dongle at a fraction of the price.

The good thing is that we have a lot of different options, though with spec improvement expect to pay a higher price, you can't avoid it. I'm talking from a reviewer rather than consumer perspective, and I think it's probably one of the most important steps (I tell my readers) to figure out the budget and go from there to find the best price/performance ratio device.

And, tbh, replacing APKpure app with Google Play store on DX170 and turning off animation was enough for me to eliminate that "potential streaming" problem, making the device more responsive and enjoyable when streaming Tidal and Amazon Music HD.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #142 of 1,635
I'm back with personal notes about DX170

- It is SUPER SMALL, especially compared to DX320 and DX300. Will feel right at home for those who have a DX240 or DX220 or DX160.
- Sits very nicely in hand
- 100 volume steps, instead of 63 like DX320
- VERY quiet background, no hissing no noise. Very black background, super nice presentation for both headphones and IEMs
- Soundstage is HOLOGRAPHIC
- Softer presentation, not quite as forward as DX320
- Reminds me quite a bit of DX160, but wider, more holographic
- Very smooth OS, and as Alex pointed out, you can improve it further by installing google instead of APK pure, which also helps for streaming
- I honestly don't think the RAM is limitative. My smartphone kills apps that are not in foreground, all the other DAPs I have do. Having more RAM won't stop the DAP from killing apps in the background, this happens usually as per Android design
- No delay when using DX170 as a USB DAC, loving this.
- I was concerned about driving power, but it sounds awesome with both HIFIMAN He1000 V2 and Dan Clark Aeon Noire 2. Doesn't struggle. Also can get extremely loud.
- Overall, it has no glaring issues that I could notice, and it works as intended. Sounds really wide and airy. Loving the driving power and the USB DAC.
- The Display is much brighter than that of most other DAPs, it is about as bright as my smartphone's display, which is 600-700 nits. You can see it in full broad daylight.

1659476585799.png

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #143 of 1,635
Really torn between this and Hiby RS2.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #144 of 1,635
Really torn between this and Hiby RS2.
Get both. I haven't heard the RS2. Maybe they are different enough to make it entertaining?

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #145 of 1,635
Get both. I haven't heard the RS2. Maybe they are different enough to make it entertaining?
I do not have any experience with R2R, and I'd better demo one before the commitment, unless of course, if I can purchase with a free return policy.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #146 of 1,635
I do not have any experience with R2R, and I'd better demo one before the commitment, unless of course, if I can purchase with a free return policy.
I didn't even know it was an R2R. If you like DSD, R2R won't do it. Some really like R2R for PCM.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #147 of 1,635
If anyone could demonstrate how the PEQ works on the DX170, I'd be grateful. Does it work with Android only or with both OS?

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #148 of 1,635
IMG_20220803_110506.jpg

It is here. The effect of the glass back is eye candy and looks better in person.

Although, my preference is still with the 160 clear glass back. That blue tone is just so nice.

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #149 of 1,635
If anyone could demonstrate how the PEQ works on the DX170, I'd be grateful. Does it work with Android only or with both OS?
The Mango OS PEQ is explained in their manual. You can check the DX160 online manual on their website. It is only for Mango OS. To make it work system wide (no matter what player/streamer you are using) you will need a different PEQ software, new powerAmp PEQ is highly rated or connect to PC as USB DAC then use apo/peace program.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #150 of 1,635
So if I install powerAmp, its settings will be used in both Mango OS and Android? And I don't understand how I'm supposed to use the Mango OS PEQ. What's with the filters? The only one that makes sense is the All Pass Filter and it says: 'There is no effect, beside the central frequency. Gain setting is ineffective with all pass filter'. I see no information on how to actually put in info. In a regular PEQ you just add the frequencies, the Q-factor and the gain.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/p11xnu/android_just_gets_a_systemwide_parametric/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back