IBasso DX170: convert AKG 701 to balanced?
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

grbwitt

Head-Fier
I'm about to buy an iBasso DX170 probably from Moon Audio, because they have them in stock for the usual $449 asking price.

My go-to headphones for many years have been the AKG 701.
My budget doesn't allow me to spring for another set of high-end cans, and I am hopeful that I can get the best possible sound out of my 701s by purchasing some kind of reasonably-priced adapter to adapt my 701s to balanced for use with the iBasso DX170.
MY QUESTIONS: Is that possible? If yes, how?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 5
I believe the k701 has the non detachable cable? If so, it just requires a retermination of the 3.5mm jack to the connector of your choice. Otherwise you'll need to swap out the 3pin mini XLR for a 4pin with a kit like this

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you Nolbert0! Of course I have follow-up questions:

Yes, the AK701 has the non-detachable cable.

My Question: Is there any way I can just buy a non-permanent plug-on adapter that would fit over the existing 1/4 inch male plug at the end of the AKG701's non-detachable cable? That would make it possible for me to use the cans in various applications, a flexibility I value. If that is possible, could you suggest places to buy the non-permanent plug-on adapter? Sorry to keep pestering you, but this is important to me. And you made the mistake of being super helpful!:relaxed::relaxed:

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you Nolbert0! Of course I have follow-up questions:

Yes, the AK701 has the non-detachable cable.

I'm hoping that there is some kind of an adapter I can fit over the 1/4 inch RCA male plug on the 701s. That way I could continue to use the 701 in a variety of applications including those with 1/4 inch female plugs. This flexibility would be important to me.

Is there any such adapter? If yes, where can I find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back