iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Mar 2, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #2,252 of 3,129
Hi guys,

Is it possible to do a HARD Reset to my dx150?

Push and hold the power button down.

You can push the power button and play button at the same time to go into the directory, when the player is off, and as soon as you see DX150 on the screen, release both and a menu will come up for a number of different functions.

Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 2, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #2,253 of 3,129
Thank you Paul.

But i ve make the upgrade to the V 1.03 and now it's impossible for me to apply the last dx150 firmware (v2.11.293) .
During the installation I have an error message: E: error in /cache/update.zip (status 7). Aborted installation...
i m on Android 8.1.0

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,254 of 3,129
Thank you Paul.

But i ve make the upgrade to the V 1.03 and now it's impossible for me to apply the last dx150 firmware (v2.11.293) .
During the installation I have an error message: E: error in /cache/update.zip (status 7). Aborted installation...
i m on Android 8.1.0
2.11 is an old version for Android 6.1. 1.03 is the latest version for Android 8.1. You can also look at the date that is on the firmware version on our webpage.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 3, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,256 of 3,129
Posting some hands-on impressions I shared with a fellow Head-fier:

Upgrading from Amp 6 to Amp 7

I like the DX150 + Solaris combo a lot - it's very lively and dynamic, really makes my music collection come alive (I am stepping up from DX90 + 1more Quads). Especially on the Amp 7 SE vs stock Amp 6 SE, it's like removing another veil from the music with more energy and headroom throughout the entire music range.

Differences between DX90 and DX150 when paired with sensitive IEMs (CA Solaris)

Unfortunately like what many others have reported, there is audible hiss on the DX150 with either amp card - compared to the almost black background of the DX90. However, this is only noticeable on really quiet passages or when i pause the music. On the 99% of music that I listen to (Jazz / Classical / Pop / Acoustic / Rock) this does not bother me. To me, the enjoyment factor of the combi trumps the hiss issue - then again, I am obviously not a technical listener :)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,257 of 3,129
So I ordered a DX150 yesterday from Amazon. Should be here later today. I decided to return my Hiby R3 and upgrade to this as I like the idea of being able to swap out the amp cards. I have a couple of questions. Does the DX150 get OTA updates or do you have to download them manually and load them to the SD card? Also has anyone here used the DX150 and the R3? What were your thoughts on the differences in sound between the two?

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,258 of 3,129
So I ordered a DX150 yesterday from Amazon. Should be here later today. I decided to return my Hiby R3 and upgrade to this as I like the idea of being able to swap out the amp cards. I have a couple of questions. Does the DX150 get OTA updates or do you have to download them manually and load them to the SD card? Also has anyone here used the DX150 and the R3? What were your thoughts on the differences in sound between the two?
You need to load the software onto an SD card or update with the Android tool they provide. It's a little more complicated but not a big deal. I haven't heard the R3 so maybe someone else can comment. For the money, the DX150 is VERY hard to beat IMO.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #2,259 of 3,129
You need to load the software onto an SD card or update with the Android tool they provide. It's a little more complicated but not a big deal. I haven't heard the R3 so maybe someone else can comment. For the money, the DX150 is VERY hard to beat IMO.

I have heard the DX150 is great for the money. I recently got a pair of HE560s and while the R3 is able to drive them I know it isn't doing them justice. I eventually want to get a nice home setup for them but that isn't in the cards right now as I do use the DAP a lot in my car as well and like the portability if going places. So I figured the DX150 with the swappable amp cards made more sense than the R6 as an upgrade. I also wasn't thrilled about the high output impedance of the R6 either. I will see what I think of the difference between the single ES9028Q2M and the dual AK4490EQ.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2,260 of 3,129
I have heard the DX150 is great for the money. I recently got a pair of HE560s and while the R3 is able to drive them I know it isn't doing them justice. I eventually want to get a nice home setup for them but that isn't in the cards right now as I do use the DAP a lot in my car as well and like the portability if going places. So I figured the DX150 with the swappable amp cards made more sense than the R6 as an upgrade. I also wasn't thrilled about the high output impedance of the R6 either. I will see what I think of the difference between the single ES9028Q2M and the dual AK4490EQ.
The swapable amp cards is huge IMO. It gives you a lot of flexibility. I had the R6 and it didn't play well with some IEMs. I wasn't going to work for me.

I tested the DX150 (with AMP6) against the ES100 with the ES9038. The AK dap has a little more detail and a little more layered but the difference is not night and day. I like the smoother sound of the DX150 and I'm never left with the feeling of missing detail. The dual 4490s was the setup for their flagship AK380 not that long ago.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,261 of 3,129
So is there really any difference in a player that is MQA certified like the R3 was and one that will play Tidal Masters like the DX150? Is it just a certification and really doesn't mean anything for sound quality or playback of the files?

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #2,262 of 3,129
So is there really any difference in a player that is MQA certified like the R3 was and one that will play Tidal Masters like the DX150? Is it just a certification and really doesn't mean anything for sound quality or playback of the files?
Doubt it! I'm guessing iBasso doesn't feel like coughing up the cash to be certified. It's probably a lot like the HiRes cert.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,263 of 3,129
Doubt it! I'm guessing iBasso doesn't feel like coughing up the cash to be certified. It's probably a lot like the HiRes cert.

That's what I thought.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,264 of 3,129
Okay, I posted a while ago about how I ran the battery on my dx150 down while using it as a usb dac. I did it again, and now, I can't get my computer to detect it to reflash the firmware. I might ask for the solution to my problem right now, but I also want to ask if theres a way to get the dx150 to warn me that it's about to die before it dies and puts me in this position.

edit: i think my player is not charging anymore either. help. I'm not too technical, please use layman's terms

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #2,265 of 3,129

I'm assuming you ordered the Hiby R3 from Amazon too? Why don't you just hold on to it so you can ABX them? I kinda went the other way. Got the DX150 first and then needed something a little more portable. Even with stock AMP6, the DX150 will be a noticeable upgrade from the R3.

The swapable amp cards is huge IMO. It gives you a lot of flexibility. I had the R6 and it didn't play well with some IEMs. I wasn't going to work for me.

I tested the DX150 (with AMP6) against the ES100 with the ES9038. The AK dap has a little more detail and a little more layered but the difference is not night and day. I like the smoother sound of the DX150 and I'm never left with the feeling of missing detail. The dual 4490s was the setup for their flagship AK380 not that long ago.

Wait, sorry if maybe I misunderstood, but are you suggesting that you heard a difference between the DAC chips of these two devices?

The official statement is that you need MQA Certification to fully 'unfold' Master Quality files (like Tidal Master for example) and reach that extra level of listening pleasure, but a lot of people think it's just culty snake oil. For me, with MQA Certified devices and Tidal Masters, you can definitely tell a "difference" but I'm not sure it's an improvement in sound quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back