iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Mar 25, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #151 of 3,129
Definitely buying this! Told the wife I was buying just to get her blessing and she said your just going to do it anyways, what a smart women she is. Cant wait!
Was she right though?

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #152 of 3,129
Was she right though?

She's always right!
frown emoticon.png

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #154 of 3,129
Slightly off topic, I have only been able to demo the Onkyo DPX1-A I use Focal Elear, AT-Mx50x, and Shure 846, to be honest I'm not that impressed with the sound, sonically it's very clean and crisp but lacks a lot of mid bass and sub bass even when using the balanced output with the ELEAR and Audio Techs (my AT have a balanced mod) I know both headphones can reproduce, I also use the sam cans with an decent headphone amp, actually I think my Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver sounds best I run it flat (pure audio) mode and with either headphone or IEM and it produces a very pleasing soundstage with plenty of mid bass and sub bass. Is it the Burr-Brown DAC my ear loves? It seems so much more pleasing to my ear than the Onkyo DPX Sabre DAC, I also have read the the AK Dacs that the DX150 and 2000 are a bit warmer than the Sabre models in which the DPX1 and Fiio X7MKii have, they are different models of Sabre dacs though, and I am unable to compare them.

I'm thinking about making the switch to this, the the Fiio X7mkii, or DX200. Or anything in the 400-700 range.

I'm not to concerned about google play, although as a subscriber I have used it with the Onkyo, but whatever DAP I end up with will be used as for FLAC, Hi-Res, and DSD playback, I reserve my phone for Google Play Music and other streaming services and apps, I think my iPhone along with a Dragon Fly red is more than sufficient and ok sounding.

I guess I'm just looking for more punch, impact, and low end...

Any ideas ot thoughts?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #155 of 3,129
Slightly off topic, I have only been able to demo the Onkyo DPX1-A I use Focal Elear, AT-Mx50x, and Shure 846, to be honest I'm not that impressed with the sound, sonically it's very clean and crisp but lacks a lot of mid bass and sub bass even when using the balanced output with the ELEAR and Audio Techs (my AT have a balanced mod) I know both headphones can reproduce, I also use the sam cans with an decent headphone amp, actually I think my Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver sounds best I run it flat (pure audio) mode and with either headphone or IEM and it produces a very pleasing soundstage with plenty of mid bass and sub bass.

I'm thinking about making the switch to this, the the Fiio X7mkii, or DX200. Or anything in the 400-700 range.

I'm not to concerned about google play, although as a subscriber I have used it with the Onkyo, but whatever DAP I end up with will be used as for FLAC, Hi-Res, and DSD playback, I reserve my phone for Google Play Music and other streaming services and apps, I think my iPhone along with a Dragon Fly red is more than sufficient and ok sounding.

Any ideas ot thoughts?
Personally I'd just get the best I can afford which will be either the X7ii or DX200. The DX150 wouldn't be under my radar.

Unless Ibasso undercuts themselves and makes their DX150 sound better than their DX200 like how Cayin made their N5ii($369)sound better than their i5($499) that is.

Mar 25, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #156 of 3,129
Personally I'd just get the best I can afford which will be either the X7ii or DX200. The DX150 wouldn't be under my radar.

Unless Ibasso undercuts themselves and makes their DX150 sound better than their DX200 like how Cayin made their N5ii($369)sound better than their i5($499) that is.
I know it's using a previous version of ak4490 (EQ) which takes up more battery life than the EN variant. DX200 uses a sabre which will have different characteristics.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #158 of 3,129
So just to recap sorry i tried reading all pages but cant seem to get a clear answer, can i install spotify/tidal on this? Thanks in advance :)

You might need to wait @Lurker0 firmware if you want to install via Play Store, or You could install spotify/tidal via apk files.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #159 of 3,129
I know it's using a previous version of ak4490 (EQ) which takes up more battery life than the EN variant. DX200 uses a sabre which will have different characteristics.
Still, I'm pretty sure dual 9028pro chips will be better than dual 4490 chips if both are well implemented.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #161 of 3,129
Mar 26, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #162 of 3,129
Slightly off topic, I have only been able to demo the Onkyo DPX1-A I use Focal Elear, AT-Mx50x, and Shure 846, to be honest I'm not that impressed with the sound, sonically it's very clean and crisp but lacks a lot of mid bass and sub bass even when using the balanced output with the ELEAR and Audio Techs (my AT have a balanced mod) I know both headphones can reproduce, I also use the sam cans with an decent headphone amp, actually I think my Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver sounds best I run it flat (pure audio) mode and with either headphone or IEM and it produces a very pleasing soundstage with plenty of mid bass and sub bass. Is it the Burr-Brown DAC my ear loves? It seems so much more pleasing to my ear than the Onkyo DPX Sabre DAC, I also have read the the AK Dacs that the DX150 and 2000 are a bit warmer than the Sabre models in which the DPX1 and Fiio X7MKii have, they are different models of Sabre dacs though, and I am unable to compare them.

I guess I'm just looking for more punch, impact, and low end...

Any ideas ot thoughts?
Of all the DAPs I've tried, the DX90 and N5ii have the strongest bass response.

Maybe you can demo it and see if it suits your taste. These two DAPs have a very strong sub bass presence.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #163 of 3,129

@jamato8 and I have both tested the DX150. To me the sound is reminiscent of the iconic DX100.

Don’t get me wrong here. The DX200 is a whole different animal and sounds more vibrant and full. But this DAP is fantastic.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #164 of 3,129
LOL wait until you guys hear this. No joke. I heard the HiBy R6 at the CanJam and of course the Cayin...the DX150 sounded fuller and more rich.

The DX150 is a little longer about 10mm and wider, again about 10mm than the DX80. I got a lot of listening and playing with it and frankly, size was not an issue. Have a great quality screen and changeable amps is a big plus IMO. Also the sound is smooth, detailed and different compared to the DX200. They are like a different view of the music. I really like the looks of the DX150 also, very clean but with a good tactile feel. The play button even has a little nipple on it so you know by touch where you are. . . .Ok, back to the music. . .

@jamato8 and I have both tested the DX150. To me the sound is reminiscent of the iconic DX150.

Don’t get me wrong here. The DX200 is a whole different animal and sounds more vibrant and full. But this DAP is fantastic.
I think you wrote something wrongly in the latest post

- the DX150's sound is reminiscent of the iconic DX150? You mean DX100?

- you said the DX150 was fuller and more rich in your older post but now the DX200 is more vibrant and full? Please clarify

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #165 of 3,129
I think you wrote something wrongly in the latest post

- the DX150's sound is reminiscent of the iconic DX150? You mean DX100?

- you said the DX150 was fuller and more rich in your older post but now the DX200 is more vibrant and full? Please clarify

Thanks for pointing out my mistype. I’ve corrected it.

I’ve never said the DX150 was more rich and full than the DX200. I was comparing it to the Hiby R6.

The Dx200 is a different animal all together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back