iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,981 of 3,129
But the official non beta is already out since the end of December 2018.

Ah, so it is. I had the beta on my laptop and was waiting for someone to publish a Mac-based method of installation. When Lurker posted his excellent write-up for flashing from an SD card, I didn't think to check if Ibasso had released a newer version. So my comments above are based on the beta. That said, my experience sounds very similar to that of others who installed the 1.0 (non-beta) version. I think I'll wait for an update before going back to Oreo.

Or maybe I won't go Oreo at all. I use my DX150 to play music from the SD card and memory. It's gone weeks without having the wifi on (usually because my phone's battery is dead and I want to check email or get a map). If Oreo doesn't improve sound or battery life, there's really nothing there for me. In that respect, the DX120 is probably the "right" player for me, but I bought my DX150 long before the DX120 came out.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,982 of 3,129
Oreo is working fine for me.

But @Paul - iBasso I've got problem with newest Tidal Master - files in "Master" quality aren't playing in a correct way - sound distorsion and hiccups. Online and offline. It occurs not in the same moment so it is software problem not problem with files.
This unfolds the MQA and then sends out the stream? I know that it requires a fast connection. Are you using 5ghz and a fast connection?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 8, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #1,983 of 3,129
This unfolds the MQA and then sends out the stream? I know that it requires a fast connection. Are you using 5ghz and a fast connection?

Connection is not a problem - 5GHz, fast enough for Netflix 4K. Connection is stable but sound is sometimes full of distortion. Even in offline mode when files are in internal memory and there is no connection via WiFi.

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #1,984 of 3,129
Connection is not a problem - 5GHz, fast enough for Netflix 4K. Connection is stable but

This seems to be the same problem the Fiio daps has after updating to the newest Tidal with masters support. Distortion in both offline and streaming. It seems to be a Tidal problem and not a dap problem.

Don't know how to fix this but I think Tidal has been informed.

Edit .Tidal just released a new update, try it and see if the problem is still there. I have only updated my LG G7 and don't have any problems with this.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #1,985 of 3,129
This seems to be the same problem the Fiio daps has after updating to the newest Tidal with masters support. Distortion in both offline and streaming. It seems to be a Tidal problem and not a dap problem.

Don't know how to fix this but I think Tidal has been informed.

I don't know where is problem - Tidal or DAP. But my LG V30 and Mi MAX works with Master without any sound problems.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #1,987 of 3,129
Update to the newest Tidal version. This should fix it, hopefully :).

This is happening to me on the latest Tidal version (2.11.1.883.1). At first I thought it was a network issue, because that's what it sounds like for me - not distortion, just stuttering where the sound rapidly cuts in and out. But then I noticed it happened with offline tracks too. Happens very randomly. Sometimes you can play a few tracks in a row without it happening at all, then other times it will occur two or three times in one track.

Hopefully it is a Tidal issue and they're able to get it fixed in an update soon.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #1,988 of 3,129
Hi I would like to ask is the AMP 8 alot better than AMP6?do you guys suggest on buying a new amp?if you are gonna rate the improvement from 1-10 how big is the difference?Thanks! please help me decide if I should buy it or not. I'm pairing it with IT04

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #1,989 of 3,129
Hi I would like to ask is the AMP 8 alot better than AMP6?do you guys suggest on buying a new amp?if you are gonna rate the improvement from 1-10 how big is the difference?Thanks! please help me decide if I should buy it or not. I'm pairing it with IT04

Same question.

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,990 of 3,129

Same question.
I don't have DX150 or AMP8 but according to the reviews and impressions AMP8 is definitely an upgrade over AMP6. It is a lot more powerful and technical than AMP6.
The difference is not huge but easily noticeable. If you are looking for a night and day difference, you will be disappointed.

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #1,991 of 3,129
I can't speak for the pairing with IT04s, but can comment on the difference between amps 6 & 8. 8 has a darker background, better separation and depth, better bass control and impact. It's a noticeable step up in sound quality. Because it takes time to go back and forth, it's not easy for me to put numbers on things. What I did was compare the IBasso with amp 6 against an Onkyo DP-X1, then with amp 8 against the DP-X1. This allowed me to go back and forth quickly and adjust to get volume levels really close, etc.

I'm glad I spent the $$ to move up to amp 8. For me, the $200 (USD) was justified by the increase in sound quality. And I'm a bit of a penny pincher when it comes to hi-fi. I buy used whenever possible and have never owned any company's TOL product. So a $200 upgrade on a $500 unit was a BIG commitment.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,992 of 3,129
I can't speak for the pairing with IT04s, but can comment on the difference between amps 6 & 8. 8 has a darker background, better separation and depth, better bass control and impact. It's a noticeable step up in sound quality. Because it takes time to go back and forth, it's not easy for me to put numbers on things. What I did was compare the IBasso with amp 6 against an Onkyo DP-X1, then with amp 8 against the DP-X1. This allowed me to go back and forth quickly and adjust to get volume levels really close, etc.

I'm glad I spent the $$ to move up to amp 8. For me, the $200 (USD) was justified by the increase in sound quality. And I'm a bit of a penny pincher when it comes to hi-fi. I buy used whenever possible and have never owned any company's TOL product. So a $200 upgrade on a $500 unit was a BIG commitment.

That said a lot, and honestly I agree with all that you said. I love Ibasso so much that my mind is blown.

There are ECHU capacitors inside the DX200, and to think that it was released back in 2017 was mind blowing. So for curious people, ECHU is a dedicated multi filmed capacitors made for sound quality in SMD for. Similar to Tantalum, the precision and frequency scalability of them is very respectable for high-end devices, and expensive components. Filmed SMD capacitors were limited to capacitance and current handling, ECHU is leap and bound from it. To think that it is being used in a sub $1000 device ? That is insane

36FAE90B-209F-4A38-AA04-4A8B4055764E.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,993 of 3,129
I don't have DX150 or AMP8 but according to the reviews and impressions AMP8 is definitely an upgrade over AMP6. It is a lot more powerful and technical than AMP6.
The difference is not huge but easily noticeable. If you are looking for a night and day difference, you will be disappointed.

This.

Don't expect night and day differences between the different modules. I didn't hear a noticeable difference between amp5 and amp6, except maybe the 5 was a bit warmer. But I do hear a noticeable difference with amp8. It's the amp to get, that is until the amp9 is released :)

That said a lot, and honestly I agree with all that you said. I love Ibasso so much that my mind is blown.

There are ECHU capacitors inside the DX200, and to think that it was released back in 2017 was mind blowing. So for curious people, ECHU is a dedicated multi filmed capacitors made for sound quality in SMD for. Similar to Tantalum, the precision and frequency scalability of them is very respectable for high-end devices, and expensive components. Filmed SMD capacitors were limited to capacitance and current handling, ECHU is leap and bound from it. To think that it is being used in a sub $1000 device ? That is insane

This is the DX150 thread, we consider the DX150 to be an upgrade to the DX200..:)

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,994 of 3,129
This.

Don't expect night and day differences between the different modules. I didn't hear a noticeable difference between amp5 and amp6, except maybe the 5 was a bit warmer. But I do hear a noticeable difference with amp8. It's the amp to get, that is until the amp9 is released :)

This is the DX150 thread, we consider the DX150 to be an upgrade to the DX200..:)
Roflmao, my bad, I thought I was posting in DX200 thread :wink:

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #1,995 of 3,129
I've had a pleasure to use Amp8 for more than a week and I'd say it did not convince me to spend 200 USD additionally. If Amp6 would be hugely flawed, then maybe, but it is perfectly fine. I know a person who prefers amp6 since it is more "reference" than laid back amp8. I will not deny amp8 has a better sound quality, I can describe it as more musical while amp6 as more analytical. Amp8 has blacker background (important for sensitive IEMs), more engaging, deeper sound with less accentuated high frequencies so it is less tiring. But in my opinion having only balanced output is very impractical, since majority of my headphones/iems use 3.5 mm jack. And having to change amp card every time you want to listen to unbalanced headphones is nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back