iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
May 13, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #721 of 3,129
Agreed. It would be interesting. To really do it justice though I think you'd have to have 2 of the same AMPs. I think it would be very difficult to go back and forth given the time it takes to swap out amps. I guess you could do it by just sliding the amps in versus connecting them completely. Might be worth a try. Another approach would be to listen to one setup for several days and then document impressions of what sounded different upon switching to the other. And then do the reverse, for consistency. That's fraught with challenges too. Would be fun though.
I tried to do this by swapping out amps within 1-2m of listening to each to compare but agree it's not ideal. I noted some thoughts earlier in the thread, but overall, the DX200 sounded noticeably better than the DX150 across all the amps (Amp1, Amp6, Amp4s). However, agree with many folks on the thread that it's probably not $400 better and after listening to the 150 for extended sessions without comparing to the 200, I decided to keep the 150 and return the 200 (flip flopped a bit on this decision but happy with my DX150 + 4S for now). =)

May 13, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #722 of 3,129
I got both but not same amp. Like the 150 more than 200
Fleetwood Mac - Gold dust woman

Guitar and vocals sound more realistic on 150 stock amp than DX200 with stock amp
Like sound on WM1a better on same track but 150 is pretty nice and it is the absolute ideal design for a DAP.

Indeed, Chris, based on your sound preference DX200 with its default AMP1 was too reference, too analytical. In comparison, DX150 with AMP6 and different set of DACs is warmer and smoother. Actually, AMP6 reminds me a lot of AMP3, but based on your preference AMP5 would be ideal since it's the smoothest and the most organic/natural in tonality. Modular design with interchangeable amps has its big advantage to fine tune the sound, as you know from FiiO experience. Btw, also maybe try to play with filters, with some IEMs I really like slow or super slow roll off to take an edge off the top end.

It feels stout and solid. 2nd slot would be nice. My only gripe is i just listened to a DSD and went from 93% battery to 88% during one track.
It's 6 minutes, DSD, and volume around 85 using EX1000. That would eat about the whole battery if I played through Thriller album. I don't think that much drain has happened on any other DAP and WM1A uses less than 10% of battery for entire album.

Maybe i need to kill something in background but I have not downloaded anything yet.

In reference to this battery issue and per your DX150 first impressions video mentioned above, I do feel your pain and not gonna be dismissive like I was in N5ii thread where some people had real issues while I suggested that it "can't be" because I don't have it. But as you know, after the initial release of any product, corresponding thread gets filled up with complaints, and unless I missed something, don't think there has been too many about battery or performance lag. Maybe a few more full charge/discharge cycles to calibrate the battery? I just played hi-res FLAC file, 3x times in a loop with a screen on, high gain set, and using 2.5mm bal output while messing with Mango app and Android settings. It went from 93% to 91%. Also, Play/Pause is nearly instanteneous, no lag in volume, and no lag in swiping between the screen within Mango app or in Android UI. I'm not discounting that something could be wrong with your DAP, but it really does sound like you would benefit greatly from a Factory Reset. Can you please try that? I think it should help, assuming you are on the latest V2.9.250 firmware. If it still behaves the same, I think something is wrong with your DAP for real, otherwise I would have expected to hear a lot more complaints here about an excessive battery drain or a very noticeable lag in GUI or touch button response.

I thought at first to ping you in PM with a reply, but figured there could be others with similar problem or maybe others who can benefit from my reply. I know you are frustrated and you have video to prove it. If it's a widespread problem, iBasso is reading this thread and should take a note to add it to their list of reported bugs. If there are no other similar complaints, I would be curious if Factory Reset could fix your problem, because I had similar issues with DX200 and did resolved them with Factory reset in the past.

May 13, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #723 of 3,129
I tried to do this by swapping out amps within 1-2m of listening to each to compare but agree it's not ideal. I noted some thoughts earlier in the thread, but overall, the DX200 sounded noticeably better than the DX150 across all the amps (Amp1, Amp6, Amp4s). However, agree with many folks on the thread that it's probably not $400 better and after listening to the 150 for extended sessions without comparing to the 200, I decided to keep the 150 and return the 200 (flip flopped a bit on this decision but happy with my DX150 + 4S for now). =)

I can definitely understand this. The DX150 is a fantastic DAP, in any price range. Like most iBasso products it seems to punch way above its weight. And there are several things I like more about the DX150 than the DX200. The volume wheel and physical buttons being the most prominent. I've also found the UI to be a bit snappier overall. I've got no complaints about the DX150, to be honest. I could maybe make an argument for an additional card slot, but I'm using 256 GB cards now and really that's enough. Plus I wouldn't want to impact the form factor, which I like very much.

I've yet to try the AMP4S with the DX150 but maybe I can do that this week.

May 13, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #724 of 3,129
I fortunately am not experiencing any lag like that. I also have the newer firmware installed.

Nor am I. I don't recall having it on the stock firmware and don't experience it on Lurker's. Perhaps a factory reset and/or a fresh install of the firmware would help. I certainly wouldn't call my experience with the DX150 beta though.

May 13, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #725 of 3,129
Nor am I. I don't recall having it on the stock firmware and don't experience it on Lurker's. Perhaps a factory reset and/or a fresh install of the firmware would help. I certainly wouldn't call my experience with the DX150 beta though.

Thankfully the video talks for itself . Those lags are up to 2-5 seconds on DSD files and on volume regardless of file type.
Battery in vid was around 90%
Never been online
No additional apps
No tasks running initiated by me as shown in vid
Factory reset and re-install of latest FW did nothing to resolve

Would never install a FW made by another beside manufacturer to enhance and improve in any manner a brand new firmware on a brand new device.

May 13, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #726 of 3,129
Thankfully the video talks for itself . Those lags are up to 2-5 seconds on DSD files and on volume regardless of file type.
Battery in vid was around 90%
Never been online
No additional apps
No tasks running initiated by me as shown in vid
Factory reset and re-install of latest FW did nothing to resolve

Would never install a FW made by another beside manufacturer to enhance and improve in any manner a brand new firmware on a brand new device.

And why not? Custom firmware has been around for a long time. Lurkers are particularly excellent.

May 13, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #727 of 3,129
Indeed, Chris, based on your sound preference DX200 with its default AMP1 was too reference, too analytical. In comparison, DX150 with AMP6 and different set of DACs is warmer and smoother. Actually, AMP6 reminds me a lot of AMP3, but based on your preference AMP5 would be ideal since it's the smoothest and the most organic/natural in tonality. Modular design with interchangeable amps has its big advantage to fine tune the sound, as you know from FiiO experience. Btw, also maybe try to play with filters, with some IEMs I really like slow or super slow roll off to take an edge off the top end.

In reference to this battery issue and per your DX150 first impressions video mentioned above, I do feel your pain and not gonna be dismissive like I was in N5ii thread where some people had real issues while I suggested that it "can't be" because I don't have it. But as you know, after the initial release of any product, corresponding thread gets filled up with complaints, and unless I missed something, don't think there has been too many about battery or performance lag. Maybe a few more full charge/discharge cycles to calibrate the battery? I just played hi-res FLAC file, 3x times in a loop with a screen on, high gain set, and using 2.5mm bal output while messing with Mango app and Android settings. It went from 93% to 91%. Also, Play/Pause is nearly instanteneous, no lag in volume, and no lag in swiping between the screen within Mango app or in Android UI. I'm not discounting that something could be wrong with your DAP, but it really does sound like you would benefit greatly from a Factory Reset. Can you please try that? I think it should help, assuming you are on the latest V2.9.250 firmware. If it still behaves the same, I think something is wrong with your DAP for real, otherwise I would have expected to hear a lot more complaints here about an excessive battery drain or a very noticeable lag in GUI or touch button response.

I thought at first to ping you in PM with a reply, but figured there could be others with similar problem or maybe others who can benefit from my reply. I know you are frustrated and you have video to prove it. If it's a widespread problem, iBasso is reading this thread and should take a note to add it to their list of reported bugs. If there are no other similar complaints, I would be curious if Factory Reset could fix your problem, because I had similar issues with DX200 and did resolved them with Factory reset in the past.
I have had my DX150 on most of the day. Started listening this morning to 2 24/192 albums and a few 16/44, it's been on all day and just checked it coming out of sleep mode and it's 82%.

May 13, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #728 of 3,129

The vid removes my opinion from the scenario which could be questioned (my opinion). The lag is brutal. I did try reset and will methodically go through once again.
If it resolves it is my choice over R6 because as my Themes I made for X5 (gen1) I love big nav icons. The U.I. is fantastic. Design of DAP is also excellent. If I can get this working I will update and create a new video and pick the DX150 over R6 as I intended.

I am no fan of some folks but good gear is good gear and only the lag is an issue for me. ALL ELSE.....is excellent. For this price it is fantastic....sans the issue of course

May 14, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #729 of 3,129
The vid removes my opinion from the scenario which could be questioned (my opinion). The lag is brutal. I did try reset and will methodically go through once again.
If it resolves it is my choice over R6 because as my Themes I made for X5 (gen1) I love big nav icons. The U.I. is fantastic. Design of DAP is also excellent. If I can get this working I will update and create a new video and pick the DX150 over R6 as I intended.

I am no fan of some folks but good gear is good gear and only the lag is an issue for me. ALL ELSE.....is excellent. For this price it is fantastic....sans the issue of course

Good point about large icons, kind of like that shortlived MS smartphone OS theme. The same as I'm still a fan of DX80 three big navigation buttons right on the front under the display, no need to fiddle around with smaller side buttons, especially when in a pocket. But anyway.

Another thought came to my mind, are you playing from micro-SD or internal memory? Does is behave the same if you playing from external flash memory vs internal? One thing that got me in the past, in addition to Factory Reset, when you swipe to Settings screen and swipe one more time to a "hidden" Advanced screen - you will find Sleep time, Rescan library, and System info. After you do Factory Reset, Rescan the Library so it could re-index all your songs, just to be sure (I recall some lag when songs were not indexed after factory reset).

May 14, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #730 of 3,129

So for audio quality alone which one will you prefer?

May 14, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #731 of 3,129
So for audio quality alone which one will you prefer?

Using the EX1000 and listening to DSD files I cannot note any difference in clarity. Using WM1A I can hear notes that both R6 and DX150 don't playback but that costs about twice as much. I would rec the R6 but it's not available yet and the 150 is clearly crippled. I'd rec the zx300.

May 14, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #733 of 3,129
Mmm, Opus #1S has some interesting specs. I do like DAPs I've heard with Cirrus Logic chips, and the 1S has plenty of power too.

I've been tossing up between Cowon Plenue R and ZX300 - I was meaning to pick one a few months ago, then got delayed with unexpected repairs to my car :) Now the DX150 is here too. I'm a long time Cowon fan so for me that would be a safe bet, love the easy to use UI, JetEffect and that gapless playback is always flawless. But now looking at the Opus #1S specs, maybe that's an option too!

The Plenue R is very clean, neutral and transparent. Really loved it. Had to let it go. I had to send it back. I won't need to do that with the DX150.

May 14, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #734 of 3,129

I purchased a DX150 a month ago and had the opportunity to compare with the R6. The Mango app is utterly slower than Hiby Music. Had lags, library scanning (128 gb) takes around 3 minutes vs. 30 seconds. I felt kinda bitter BUT then i decided to download Hiby Music apk and the DX150 is now as much reactive as the R6, even with Rockchip and 1 Gb less memory. I'm still in stock Firmware since Lurker's doesn't support usb dac (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back