iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
May 12, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #707 of 3,129
150 is pretty nice and it is the absolute ideal design for a DAP.
I don't know but maybe a second sd card slot would be nice? :wink:

Reduction in size and weight would also be very welcome :)

May 12, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #708 of 3,129
I don't know but maybe a second sd card slot would be nice? :wink:

Reduction in size and weight would also be very welcome :)

It feels stout and solid. 2nd slot would be nice. My only gripe is i just listened to a DSD and went from 93% battery to 88% during one track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanna_Be_Startin'_Somethin'

It's 6 minutes, DSD, and volume around 85 using EX1000. That would eat about the whole battery if I played through Thriller album. I don't think that much drain has happened on any other DAP and WM1A uses less than 10% of battery for entire album.

Maybe i need to kill something in background but I have not downloaded anything yet.

May 12, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #709 of 3,129
I noticed this as well, but thought something else was going on initially. I had a ton of unorganized songs and I thought something was wrong with my ID tags, then when I looked at the SD card on a non-Mac computer I saw all of the duplicate "._" files, which I believe OS X utilizes for indexing purposes (Time Machine, Spotlight, etc.) You can manually delete them like you have, or you can run the "dot_clean" tool in OS X. I did not notice this issue with my Cayin N5ii, so there is something about the DX150 that recognizes these files while others ignore them. It's definitely annoying.

In a twisted way, I'm glad that there IS someone else that's having this problem. I agree that it is just a minor annoyance, but when you pay the kind of $$$$ that these devices cost, one would expect that they run smoothly. I really hope that they address this issue in a future firmware update.

I just finished deleting the ghost files this morning. I started last night. I think it took me about 4-5 hours in all (about 14,000 files.) I'll have to look into the dot_clean tool in the future. Thanks for telling me about it.

May 12, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #710 of 3,129
In a twisted way, I'm glad that there IS someone else that's having this problem. I agree that it is just a minor annoyance, but when you pay the kind of $$$$ that these devices cost, one would expect that they run smoothly. I really hope that they address this issue in a future firmware update.

I just finished deleting the ghost files this morning. I started last night. I think it took me about 4-5 hours in all (about 14,000 files.) I'll have to look into the dot_clean tool in the future. Thanks for telling me about it.
I have previously reported this to our software team and they will see what can be done about this. We have a Mac computer here but do not have this issue and have tried to duplicate it. We will continue to look into this.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #711 of 3,129
I have previously reported this to our software team and they will see what can be done about this. We have a Mac computer here but do not have this issue and have tried to duplicate it. We will continue to look into this.

Hey Paul, for what it's worth, this doesn't happen to all of my music files. I think it has to do with music files that have been stored on the Mac long enough to have been indexed either by Spotlight or Time Machine, but I am not certain.

May 12, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #712 of 3,129
Someone test the dx150 and dx200 with the same amp :p

Agreed. It would be interesting. To really do it justice though I think you'd have to have 2 of the same AMPs. I think it would be very difficult to go back and forth given the time it takes to swap out amps. I guess you could do it by just sliding the amps in versus connecting them completely. Might be worth a try. Another approach would be to listen to one setup for several days and then document impressions of what sounded different upon switching to the other. And then do the reverse, for consistency. That's fraught with challenges too. Would be fun though.

May 13, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #713 of 3,129
I just received one today, I'm impressed. It's been awhile since I've used a decent source. I'm using the HD6xx, and it sounds really great, unfortunately it also confirmed I need to get new IEMs. So I'll gladly take recommendations. I'm impressed with the build quality, two screen protectors and a case, even the cables are decent (sleeved and feel a bit heavier than other bundled cables). More importantly, it sounds good. I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces and seeing what it'll do.

May 13, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #714 of 3,129
I just received one today, I'm impressed. It's been awhile since I've used a decent source. I'm using the HD6xx, and it sounds really great, unfortunately it also confirmed I need to get new IEMs. So I'll gladly take recommendations. I'm impressed with the build quality, two screen protectors and a case, even the cables are decent (sleeved and feel a bit heavier than other bundled cables). More importantly, it sounds good. I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces and seeing what it'll do.

Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I know I'm loving mine. I've used most of my collection of IEMs with the DX150 so far and I keep coming back to the iBasso's. Both the IT01 ($99) and the IT03 ($259) are great with the DX150. They're obviously different in design and form factor and both have dedicated threads here with tons of info.

iBasso's also working on the IT04 ($499), which should be out in the not too distant future. There are at least a couple of copies out in the wild and pre-orders have shown up for sites in Europe and Asia.

I'm sure others will chime in on their favorite pairings but right now mine is the IT03 with the CB12S cable.

May 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #715 of 3,129
What I did with my DX 80 was pair it up with a little amp… a Tralucent T1. No joke, it made the DX 80 sound as awesome as the DX 100. But I mistyped before...currently my beater DAP is a DX 90 strapped to a C&C BH amp. It’s adequate until, hopefully this Wednesday, when my DX 150 gets to me.
I have that amp use it with DX50

May 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #716 of 3,129
I have been using the Bluetooth with a new pair of Koss PortaPro BT that I got. Excellent sound for the price of the Koss. I have always liked the system of my WM1Z but have to say, that even though the BT of the DX150 isn't the type that uses hi res formats, it still sounds extremely good and with good range. I also have been using DSD quite a bit, non BT of course, and getting around 9 to 10 hours of use with IEM's. I really like the looks and feel of the 150 and prefer the case to the DX200 case for appearance and feel.

May 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #717 of 3,129
OK, Next month purchase!
iBasso you did it again i was going to try one of the A&K models. Not! I did like the "Blue" AK color. lol
I have the DX 50 & 80, like them both. I like to see how the DX150 sound with my MSR7.
Paul, marketing is everything so do your self a favor give one to a "Star Athlete,US" like (Uggh) :tired_face: the "Beats" did.
It be cool seeing one in their hands.:ksc75smile:

May 13, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #720 of 3,129
I fortunately am not experiencing any lag like that. I also have the newer firmware installed.
I don't either. I just tried mine on regular and DSD and volume and pause/play work fine. I would guess maybe try a factory reset but no issue here. The volume change is just about instant as is the Pause/play unless I don't make good contact with my finger to the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back