iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #361 of 3,129
Great question Sean. Yes, the DX 200 is quite better than the DX 150. However it’s the sound of the two that makes them both unique. As I’ve said a few times the DX 150 sound is reminiscent of the DX 100. Now this is with AMP6...the new one installed.

So I would say that where the DX 80 is an introduction to the world of Hi-Rez DAP’s.... and the DX 200 is a TOTL dap… The DX 150 sits nicely in between. For those looking for an upgrade and sound quality But can’t just throw $900 at a music player, the 150 is a great compromise.
I've demoed a DX80 before and I found it underwhelming.

I was still using a Fiio X1 back then and I remember being disappointed by its performance. It didn't wow me like the DX90 did. It just sounded mediocre (like the Sony NW-A35)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #362 of 3,129
I've demoed a DX80 before and I found it underwhelming.

I was still using a Fiio X1 back then and I remember being disappointed by its performance. It didn't wow me like the DX90 did. It just sounded mediocre (like the Sony NW-A35)

What I did with my DX 80 was pair it up with a little amp… a Tralucent T1. No joke, it made the DX 80 sound as awesome as the DX 100. But I mistyped before...currently my beater DAP is a DX 90 strapped to a C&C BH amp. It’s adequate until, hopefully this Wednesday, when my DX 150 gets to me.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #363 of 3,129
For some of the consumers like me, I'm waiting to know through impressions if the balanced output really sounds different than the single ended output. With the iBasso PB3 balanced output, after volume matching, some of my friends couldn't get any audible differences between balanced output and single ended. Same was the case with Fiio Q1 mk2, Fiio X3 Mk3 and Fiio X5 mk3. So I'm really interested in hearing impressions from people who may have tried single ended and balanced output.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #364 of 3,129
For some of the consumers like me, I'm waiting to know through impressions if the balanced output really sounds different than the single ended output. With the iBasso PB3 balanced output, after volume matching, some of my friends couldn't get any audible differences between balanced output and single ended. Same was the case with Fiio Q1 mk2, Fiio X3 Mk3 and Fiio X5 mk3. So I'm really interested in hearing impressions from people who may have tried single ended and balanced output.

Wow seriously? There’s more voltage in a balance out right? And that transmits a different sound signature right? I’m not sure Why you and your friends aren’t hearing a difference in the sound between single ended and balanced… However it might be the equipment your listing with.

Also, there are plenty of discussions about single ended versus balanced and sound quality volume gain etc. i’m not quite sure why you would post this question here.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #365 of 3,129
Wow seriously? There’s more voltage in a balance out right? And that transmits a different sound signature right? I’m not sure Why you and your friends aren’t hearing a difference in the sound between single ended and balanced… However it might be the equipment your listing with.
They notice only increase in db level only. But the IEMs are mostly sub 200$ IEMs so I don't know if better IEMs would respond more to balanced output connection.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #366 of 3,129
They notice only increase in db level only. But the IEMs are mostly sub 200$ IEMs so I don't know if better IEMs would respond more to balanced output connection.

Now I understand. Well different IEM’s pick up different things. More money does not always equate to a “better“ product. Of course you’ll hear a decibel gain with balanced out and with some IEM’s...Some users feel that they have better sound quality.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #367 of 3,129
Now I understand. Well different IEM’s pick up different things. More money does not always equate to a “better“ product. Of course you’ll hear a decibel gain with balanced out and with some IEM’s...Some users feel that they have better sound quality.
Most of the time people say balanced out sounds wider, cleaner with a blacker background. It also tends to measure better in terms of snr and channel separation. Maybe that's why.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #368 of 3,129
Most of the time people say balanced out sounds wider, cleaner with a blacker background. It also tends to measure better in terms of snr and channel separation. Maybe that's why.

I agree.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #370 of 3,129
Go DX200 and be satisfied for a LONG while. Go DX150 and you'll always be itching for an upgrade to the DX200.

DX150 is newer and is usualy best to buy the newest out there, but it seem Dx200 is top of the line both player are great players
and you be happy with any of the two

For me Dx150 is better for my budget, My personal opinion is that dap players should cost around the price of Dx150 not more , this is a perfect price
i think Dx200 goes beyond that price so for me Dx150 is good
Only thing is that Dx150 should have had the black frame around the volume knob that Dx200 had it look so much better
I always enjoy black on dap players.
But i glad that Ibasso software atleast is the same

But rule number one apply buy the player that you wallet can afford, the better the sound
however i think Dx150 is perfect for me, I hope to upgrade to it soon when is avaible here.
I want to stay around Mid range Players in price
so around Dx150 is best for me.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #371 of 3,129
DX150 is newer and is usualy best to buy the newest out there, but it seem Dx200 is top of the line both player are great players
and you be happy with any of the two

For me Dx150 is better for my budget, My personal opinion is that dap players should cost around the price of Dx150 not more , this is a perfect price
i think Dx200 goes beyond that price so for me Dx150 is good
Only thing is that Dx150 should have had the black frame around the volume knob that Dx200 had it look so much better
I always enjoy black on dap players.
But i glad that Ibasso software atleast is the same

But rule number one apply buy the player that you wallet can afford, the better the sound
however i think Dx150 is perfect for me, I hope to upgrade to it soon when is avaible here.
I want to stay around Mid range Players in price
so around Dx150 is best for me.

Having played with the 150 for a solid week I can say I really like that the volume wheel doesn’t have the bar over it. Not with the DX 200 that bar can be a pain in the butt.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #372 of 3,129
Listening to the DX150 with AMP4. Naxatras III on DSD. The recording is the raw one (they have two versions, smooth and raw with raw unprocessed from the drummers perspective so you are in the middle of the playing). Oh yes, it is good. Great overtones and speed with a natural bass foundation. On other recordings, nice spread to the soundstage with imaging and things like the drums placed back where they should be. Fun stuff.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #373 of 3,129
Listening to the DX150 with AMP4. Naxatras III on DSD. The recording is the raw one (they have two versions, smooth and raw with raw unprocessed from the drummers perspective so you are in the middle of the playing). Oh yes, it is good. Great overtones and speed with a natural bass foundation. On other recordings, nice spread to the soundstage with imaging and things like the drums placed back where they should be. Fun stuff.

Damn you!! ::shaking fist:: I haven’t gotten my unit yet lol

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #374 of 3,129
The burned in AMP4 on the 150 really smashes the bass. Great extension and control. Massive but not overdone, just solid and big. My head feels like it is part of the instrument, like when I used to play bass guitar on tube equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back