iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Aug 5, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,441 of 3,129
PR has a highly optimized unix based os, and while both have an equally responsive gui, PR will have a slight upper hand there. In terms of sound performance, as I mentioned in my review, they are on par. Dx150 will have a big advantage of interchangeable amp modules, full android interface, and streaming with access to apps. PR will have an advantage of a smaller compact size, longer battery, and Jeteffect DSP sound shaping with semi-parametric EQ.

Thanks Twister,

I actually found your comparison after my last post.

I think a big advantage of the 150 is the Android - I would be able to install the Foobar app which will be able to recognise replaygain values. One of my biggest annoyances at the moment is the different levels in volume of my FLACs when playing random. I have tried converting the files including replaygain in the processing via Foobar however it affects the lossless status of the FLACs and is not the same, I feel replaygain in the metadata works better than changing the audio data itself.

So right now my goal is a sub $1000 DAP that sounds as good as possible that will support Foobar + replaygain. I tried using replaygain in the files in my Plenue R however Linux does not recognise the RG values.

Thanks again for the response and always useful review.s.

Aug 5, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,442 of 3,129
So, just got Dx150 and found that IFI micro BL sounds better. I have not burned-in the device but I don't believe in it either. I am using AMP6, which amp sound better than IFI? It appears that i have to upgrade the AMP :frowning2:

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #1,443 of 3,129
So, just got Dx150 and found that IFI micro BL sounds better. I have not burned-in the device but I don't believe in it either. I am using AMP6, which amp sound better than IFI? It appears that i have to upgrade the AMP :frowning2:

If I were you in this condition, I would rather not rolling any amp modules, I would just sell DX150 and buy any smaller DAP as source and plus ifi micro idsd. You shouldn't compromise on sound quality. :wink:

Aug 5, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #1,444 of 3,129
You need to let it burn in. The bass tightens and the sound opens up. Also AMP8 sounds great with it.

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,448 of 3,129
Earlier today I published Nano's review of the DX150 on HFN: https://www.headfonia.com/review-ibasso-dx150/
I hope you like the article. Nano certainly likes the DX150 as he's added it to our recommended buyer's guide...

Nice review... the reviewer seems to have forgotten all about the Ibasso DX100, though (since the article states several times that the DX50 and DX90 were the first DAPs by Ibasso) :wink:

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,449 of 3,129
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,450 of 3,129
Thank you for the review and comments. For AMP1 since it is noisy, please contact me at paul@ibasso.com so I can issue an RMA for it. It should not be noisy and we need to inspect it.

Curious which iem Nano used during the testing in his review, do you know Lieven? (@Ultrainferno). If it's something ultra sensitive, I would expect higher power balanced output to cause that, not the single ended port. Otherwise, could be a defective module, especially if it performs the same on DX200 as Nano hears it on DX150.

Aug 8, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,451 of 3,129
What are the chances that iBasso will implement an "Audio Priority/Pure Music Mode" option for official DX150 Firmware? I don't use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Google Play, stream, etc. - just enjoy listening to hi-res music from the SD card. I have adjusted some of the DAP's Android settings to reflect my preference, but a one touch toggle would be so much more convenient!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #1,452 of 3,129
What are the chances that iBasso will implement an "Audio Priority/Pure Music Mode" option for official DX150 Firmware? I don't use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Google Play, stream, etc. - just enjoy listening to hi-res music from the SD card. I have adjusted some of the DAP's Android settings to reflect my preference, but a one touch toggle would be so much more convenient!
Lurker's newest firmware for the DX150 includes standalone Mango mode just like on the DX200.

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,453 of 3,129
Hi,

I have couple of questions. Yesterday I installed latest Lurker's software and ever since then I had to wait for "android configuration" when starting up the device twice, takes about 5 minutes. Is this normal? Should I try reinstalling software?

Another question or rather observation - if I choose "super slow roll off" filter and restart the device sound is tilted to the left side, stereo image not centered. Issue disappears when another filter is chosen and this does not happen with other filter settings. Might that be a hardware issue?

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,454 of 3,129
I had to wait for "android configuration" when starting up the device twice, takes about 5 minutes. Is this normal?
It is normal on the first boot after flashing the new firmware only. Subsequent reboots may show this message, but not for so long. Anyway, it depends on number of additional apps installed.

Should I try reinstalling software?
I doubt it would help. If you have no many apps installed, I'd suggest to "Factory data reset" from Android's "Backup & reset". If the problem persists, please PM me.

if I choose "super slow roll off" filter and restart the device sound is tilted to the left side, stereo image not centered. Issue disappears when another filter is chosen and this does not happen with other filter settings. Might that be a hardware issue?
No, it is not a hardware problem. I've heard a couple of similar reports with my previous firmware build, but related to "Voice style" setting. I've never experienced it myself, which makes it hard to fix. If you decide to go for a factory reset, please note if it corrects this problem as well. If it won't, again: please PM me for instructions on how to collect more info for investigation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back