iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #47 of 3,129
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #48 of 3,129
Hmmm... tough one. I would wait until this one is released, read a few user (real users) reviews, see if with the latest firmware to be released shortly the N5ii sorts out its issues, and then... toss a coin!
LOL what is that supposed to mean dude? Are you trying to insinuate that I'm not a "real user" or some BS like that?

Heheh! It seemed to me to be more about waiting to hear customers feelings about mature released firmware and hardware, rather than pre-production samples. I don't think it was meant so much as a cheeky snipe at you, personally.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #51 of 3,129
Oh - I’m super excited about this device.

Now what do I do... wait for it or go w N5ii now.

Most of my listening now is through streaming services so being able to stream and definitely be able to store offline will be a must.

I tried the N5ii for a while at the NYC CanJam and it sounded great also...and it's much smaller than the DX150...so if compact size is what you want...ie: traveling on a subway, etc...go with the Cayin. I prefer the sound of the DX150 but there is a size/weight difference.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #52 of 3,129
LOL what is that supposed to mean dude? Are you trying to insinuate that I'm not a "real user" or some BS like that?
Not at all man, I actually enjoyed your impressions, it was just trying to say that reviews by consumers and "professional" reviewers tend to be quite different sometimes. The N5ii thread is a good example of this.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #53 of 3,129
Heheh! It seemed to me to be more about waiting to hear customers feelings about mature released firmware and hardware, rather than pre-production samples. I don't think it was meant so much as a cheeky snipe at you, personally.

You're right M, sorry for that Jeff. It was a late night last night...lol.

Jithu, you don't mean the wheel I hope...cause...ya know...it's been around on DAP's for long before AK "invented it". Although I know they certainly charge like they invented the wheel...and sound...and music...etc...lol.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #55 of 3,129
AK4490 DAC implementation...

LOL - well, forgive me for saying so, but that is hilarious!

So, AK 'invented' using a DAC chip that is produced by another company?

AK invented using 2 DAC chips in a DAP? Nope.

iBasso have done 2 DAC chips on a DAP before now (2x ES9018K2M in the DX90, for example).

HiFiMan had 2x ES9018 desktop DAC chips in the old HM-901, many years ago.

It might surprise you to find out that quite a lot of DAPs use DAC circuit implementations that are only mildly modified from standard implementations provided by the DAC chip companies. If you believe that companies like AK are masters of DAC circuitry, and the envy of their competitors, then I hate to disappoint you...

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #56 of 3,129
LOL - well, forgive me for saying so, but that is hilarious!

So, AK 'invented' using a DAC chip that is produced by another company?

AK invented using 2 DAC chips in a DAP? Nope.

iBasso have done 2 DAC chips on a DAP before now (2x ES9018K2M in the DX90, for example).

HiFiMan had 2x ES9018 desktop DAC chips in the old HM-901, many years ago.

It might surprise you to find out that quite a lot of DAPs use DAC circuit implementations that are only mildly modified from standard implementations provided by the DAC chip companies. If you believe that companies like AK are masters of DAC circuitry, and the envy of their competitors, then I hate to disappoint you...

dude what are you talking about?

this is ibasso's first ASAHI KASEI (AK) 4490 DAC IMPLEMENTATION ON THEIR DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #57 of 3,129
dude what are you talking about?

this is ibasso's first ASAHI KASEI (AK) 4490 DAC IMPLEMENTATION ON THEIR DAP.

Ah, I see what you mean. I misinterpreted what you originally said, so I apologise for that
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

The thing is, here on Head-Fi, the two letters 'AK' are synonymous with 'Astell & Kern', hence my earlier retort.

Again, apologies. It was an innnocent misunderstanding.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #58 of 3,129
Ah, I see what you mean. I misinterpreted what you originally said, so I apologise for that

The thing is, here on Head-Fi, the two letters 'AK' are synonymous with 'Astell & Kern', hence my earlier retort.

Again, apologies. It was an innnocent misunderstanding.

My apologies to Jithu also, I thought you meant Astell & Kern. It's funny M...you are so right, those of us here read AK and you hit it on the nose...lol isn't it funny the reaction that company causes sometimes? Well it would be funny if it wasn't so negative!

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #59 of 3,129
The DX150 looks nice, but I must admit I'm disappointed we never saw an international release of the simpler DX120

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx120.815707/

The DX120 will be a pure music player. No wifi or bluetooth. The amp section will be all new as will be the dac section. It will have the normal optical and coax input and line out function.

Oh, that is great news! For me at least, haha.

Are they going to look the same as the design and the styles that we voted? And will it be on par with the DX200 (in terms of sound)?

Thank you iBasso!

Because of a different dac chip it will sound different and the DX200 will have different amp sections available. On absolute sound quality the DX120 will be extremely good and will compete easily with DAPs costing much more. We would strive for nothing less.
/

Being a DAP manufacturer is complicated.

tumblr_o6tpe8IgZp1qg4e0wo1_400.gif

You have a point, but I'm still waiting for the DX180, too
Shhhh - emoticon.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/apr...480-music-player.712487/page-16#post-10415398

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #60 of 3,129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back