iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Dec 6, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #151 of 2,799
If iBasso is not targeting those headfiers who wear hd650 or LCD3 out to take public transport then a low output impedance is likely. All their portable amps work very well with iems and hopefully that trend will not change.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #153 of 2,799
I think it's a fair assumption the new DX100 will have a low impedance headphone out jack that should at the very least match the iPhone 4S. I think it's also fair to assume that it will play very nice with IEM's because enough of the IEM crowd are always on the lookout for the next killer DAP. Personally I'm fed up with iOS, don't get me wrong I love my 3rd gen 64 gig touch to death but it would be refreshing to try something different. Let's all keep our fingers crossed this new DAP hits a home run in how they skin the Android UI and has enough in it's guts to make cans and IEM's sing like a canary. I don't blame the head-fiers in Singapore for jumping all over this news Let's be honest out of all the Chinese audio gear companies iBasso has been pretty consistent putting out good product after good product and has slowly cultivated a following amongst music lovers. My prediction and hopes is if they do a good job on the UI and keep the price within reach of the average Joe Lunch Pail head-fier they'll sell a ton of them.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #155 of 2,799

Quote:
I hope it comes with Android ICS. asking too much? maybe.. but would be willing to pay more for it.. 

As long it's a nice GUI, I'm happy. Android would be AWESOME (running ICS on my Nexus S right now), but I'm more concerned about this working as a USB dac as well as a pmp.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #156 of 2,799
Seen this on ibasso site, a few things

1) Hate touchscreens would rather prefer LCD and hard buttons
2) More storage, ok cards allow you to upgrade as prices for higher capacity cards lower, but at the moment I'd like somewhere around 120GB storage, with room to upgrade. 
3) Open firmware, allow Rockbox team to write their OS for the DX100 without hacking. Also if Android is 2GB that'll save alot of space by just having Rockbox (which is about 20MB)
4) Have full LCD remote control like iriver H140
5) IR remote control would be handy too (using a dock)

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #157 of 2,799
I'd wager it will probably be running Gingerbread, or perhaps even Froyo. This doesn't really matter though since some clever clogs will root it eventually, which I'd probably do to get doubleTwist (music management app, allows for Genius-style smart playlists) or Rockbox for gapless etc.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #158 of 2,799

Quote:
I'd wager it will probably be running Gingerbread, or perhaps even Froyo. This doesn't really matter though since some clever clogs will root it eventually, which I'd probably do to get doubleTwist (music management app, allows for Genius-style smart playlists) or Rockbox for gapless etc.

As long as it's Froyo (2.2) or better it should be able to run Spotify, DoubleTwist, Titanium Media Sync etc... 

My god, I want this player SO BAD!

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #159 of 2,799
The Head-Fi fun of anticipation and conjecture seems to outpace that of actually having gear in hand. :D (And no, I don't want to hear about anyone handling his gear, thanks.)

I hope it supports audiobook bookmarks.

And has a button that when you press it provides hints and pictures of their latest upcoming projects. :wink:

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #160 of 2,799

Quote:
The Hype-Fi fun of anticipation and conjecture seems to outpace that of actually having gear in hand.
biggrin.gif
(And no, I don't want to hear about anyone handling his gear, thanks.)
I hope it supports audiobook bookmarks.
And has a button that when you press it provides hints and pictures of their latest upcoming projects.
wink.gif

There, fixed it for ya.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #164 of 2,799
Major attraction of this Ibasso DX100 to me is that it seems to be an audiophile all-in-one player cable of streaming Spotify/MOG. I have filled up my Iphones/Ipad with over 74 GB of MOG music and am stilling downloading more.

Rumors from the Chinese forum suggest that Ibasso said it will surely be over $300 USD. If it is close to $800, I will rather buy a used Ipod Touch and use it on the road, or at home (Ipod/Iphone/Ipad  -> multiple Pure i20 ($99 each) coax out-> multiple full size dacs / amps). On the road, I am not such a critical listener so Iphone 3GS/HM-801 sounds good enough. At home, the total cost of one full-size system (dac plus amp) is not far from $800 and offers significantly better performance (I have compared HM-801 vs. Gamm2 plus 2ch Beta 22).

So I will rather get a budget version of the DX100 when it is available. I personally do not care too much about the ES9018 chip, the overall implantation and circuit design matter more for the sound.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #165 of 2,799
$500 is probably going to be about the magic area for me. Below that it seems like it would be a deal (at this point), much over and that's a heck of a lot to be spending on a portable piece of gear. I could still be tempted around $600 if initial impressions are such that SQ seems stunningly good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back