iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Dec 5, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #136 of 2,799
Quote:
That's because everyone's been hoping for an audiophile quality DAP that's affordable for a very long time and iBasso has a good reputation on here.  Let's keep our fingers crossed this new product hits the shelves at an affordable price. If it hits a thousand bucks I stand by my previous statement that it'll be dead before it's had a chance to crawl. Not to say they won't sell I'm sure there's enough rich types out there who will scoop it up. Us average people will just go to other options out there and iBasso will have to settle for selling a lot fewer units

It's about priorities as well. If this is priced at $1000, I'd rather go for my first custom IEM or a top of the line headphone or upgrade my speaker setup with a DAC rather than this DAP.

Quote:
I am not sure this applies to Ibasso, a company known for selling excellent quality dacs and amps for cheap.  They are smart, they want it to sell and the only way to do so is to set a price point that is half the price of the other daps in its tier.  I predict $299-399 price tags for this dap once it is released.

I hope they do :)

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #138 of 2,799
Given the slew of new iBasso product which ushered in 2011, I had a feeling something big was brewing over in Shenzhen. More power to them, even if I remain skeptical about a product being 'deified' based purely on the stamps on the silicon inside it. Implementation is everything.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #139 of 2,799
I am sure the amp section will not let anyone down and the quality both fit and finish will be extremely good, IMO. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #140 of 2,799
Is it just me, or are Singaporean Head-Fiers going absolutely ballistic over this ? Most seem more interested in the sticker price than the actual device (how unusual ...), but it has certainly generated plenty of interest on their forums. Personally, I'll need to hear some actual impressions from Head-Fiers I trust before handing over my card details. Fiio found out the hard way that there is a big difference between building headphone amps and dealing with the complexities of a standalone DAP.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #142 of 2,799
Great, but I'm from Oz - you know, the really big island to the south of Singapore. Granted, there are parts of Sydney where the resemblance is uncanny, and we do share a couple of centuries of British rule, but your island doesnt have any surf.
biggrin.gif

Getting back to the DX100, I suspect that iBasso would be hoping for (favourable) comparisons with the HM-801, not the downmarket Teclast T59, but time will tell. I still think it will be over 450 USD.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #143 of 2,799

Quote:
Is it just me, or are Singaporean Head-Fiers going absolutely ballistic over this ? Most seem more interested in the sticker price than the actual device (how unusual ...), but it has certainly generated plenty of interest on their forums. Personally, I'll need to hear some actual impressions from Head-Fiers I trust before handing over my card details. Fiio found out the hard way that there is a big difference between building headphone amps and dealing with the complexities of a standalone DAP.

Tell me about it... I am assuming you are referring to the thread in Hardwarezone? Most people are very, very concerned with the price and didn't really pay attention to the specs.

Quote:
I am sure the amp section will not let anyone down and the quality both fit and finish will be extremely good, IMO. 

Given the great performance of their recent products like D12, P4 etc., it is hard for me to think otherwise.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #144 of 2,799
Yep - Hardwarezone - btw, does the sgheadphones board actually work, or do you need to be logged in to read their posts ?

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #145 of 2,799

Quote:
Great, but I'm from Oz - you know, the really big island to the south of Singapore. Granted, there are parts of Sydney where the resemblance is uncanny, and we do share a couple of centuries of British rule, but your island doesnt have any surf.
biggrin.gif

Getting back to the DX100, I suspect that iBasso would be hoping for (favourable) comparisons with the HM-801, not the downmarket Teclast T59, but time will tell. I still think it will be over 450 USD.

I'm from Sydney... Must be missing something here but where in Syd does it resemble Singapore??

Anyways, subscribed!
Very interested indeed... just when I'm looking for an upgrade!

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #146 of 2,799

Quote:
Yep - Hardwarezone - btw, does the sgheadphones board actually work, or do you need to be logged in to read their posts ?

There seems to be some problem when trying to go in without logging in. Even if it is working, some sections are off limit to non-members.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #149 of 2,799
Seems like a bit of a spiritual successor to the FiiO X3, if it's priced right. I hope it's more successful than the FiiO.

The X3 was going to be a cheap mid-Fi pmp, undercutting Cowon and Teclast. The Dx100 is shooting straight for the very top of pmps.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #150 of 2,799
Just a thought: I wonder what the output impedance is going to be. A very low (as in > 0.2Ω) output impedance is critical for use with IEMs, this is where the Fiio E9 fell short with an output impedance of no less than 10Ω.

I just had a look at iBasso's website and currently the PB2 at $325 is their most expensive amp. The Hifiman HM801 sells at $790... Suddenly, a $599 pricetag on the DX100 seems quite sensible. Where's the preorder form?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back