ibasso DX100 or HDP-R10 (Japan verison)
Jun 2, 2013 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Lawrenceho

New Head-Fier
hi,

I am considering buying either a Dx100 or its cousin,HDP-R10.

I have done a lot of researches but still can't come up with an answer.

Currently I am leaning toward HDP-R10 as people say it is an upgrade over DX100 in terms of SQ.

However on the other hand, someone says the sonic difference between them is indeed very slight while HDP-R10 compromises

the output power relatively.

In addition, I can get a used Dx100 with around $600USD but for R10, I probably need spending $800USD+ to get a new one.

So, what do you guys recommend?  Any advice would help.

Sorry for my Engilsh and brining up the comparison once again.

Lawrence

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 17
Gee, I wonder why no one came to your rescue? 
size]

Here is my biased view 
size]

Both the R10 and DX100 are excellent sounding DAPs. And they share very similar features. After about 100hrs of burn in, I am now leaning toward the R10 for sound quality. But please take that with a big pinch of salt as I have yet to do a side by side comparison (my DX100 is currently not with me so I can't do any comparison).

I also like the battery life of the R10, which to me is considerably longer lasting than my DX100. Someone in the R10 thread mentioned that his R10 could last 12hrs while the DX100 manages only about 7hrs. Please note that I only use iems for my DAPs and listen to a mixture of 16bits and 24bits files.

The other issue you may want to consider is the warranty. I believe for the R10, you need to send it back to Hibino, Japan. You can't send it to iBasso, China. I am not sure how responsive Hibino is to service request outside of Japan.

If you are buying a new DX100 or R10, the price difference is insignificant - less than $100. So is the R10 the better choice? Only you can decide on that. For me, the choice is clear - I would go for the R10 
size]

All the best to you on your quest for the better DAP.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks so much Alan!

The only thing that worries me is the output voltage of R10 as I may acquire headphones like W1000x in the future.

Anyway I have had enough thinking, will just go for R10 probably
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
Thanks so much Alan!

The only thing that worries me is the output voltage of R10 as I may acquire headphones like W1000x in the future.

Anyway I have had enough thinking, will just go for R10 probably
biggrin.gif

Hi Lawrence,

I believe you will enjoy the R10 very much. I can't vouch for the use of all types of headphones but I am sure the R10 should be able to handle most headphones except those that are really hard to drive. In that case, perhaps a powerful amplifier may be needed.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 17
Thanks so much Alan!

Anyway I have had enough thinking, will just go for R10 probably:D

Hi Lawrenceho

Your decision to buy HDP R 10 is the right way
I had my DX 100 only for 1 week than I sold it.
I am very happy with my HDP R10 as my favourite DAP together with my AK 120

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Hi Lawrence

Hope you got your R10. It's great! Driving my HD800s no problems.

Was using it to drive my ATH-CK100PRO IEM but they seemed too bright for my liking. Either the CK100pro has not been fully burned it or could be the R10. Both currently less than 100 hours of play time.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks Rudi, bukitdamansara for the info!

I heard from somwhere AK100 sounds 'articial' but I am not sure about AK120. It is over budget to me anyway.

Regarding the reviews that are written by other head fiers, R10 requires quite a long burn-in time and will get improved dramatically after that.

Wish that happen on your R10 too, bukitdamansara.

Once I finish what I have been busy with, I will order a R10 on Amazon, without hesitation
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 17
Hi Lawrence

Hope you get to that soon. Can I suggest that you check this link on a regular (daily would be best!) basis: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A0%E3%82%BB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB/b/ref=topnav_deals?ie=UTF8&node=2221688051

I was rather lucky and managed to catch the HDP-R10 on offer, 10% off, so I ordered it immediately!

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 17
You're welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Another way to get some discount is if you have friends/relatives/yourself who are about to visit Japan. You can get 5% off from Yobobashi and if you pay with a Union Pay credit card, you can also get another 5% off!

Also at Yodobashi, they sell R10 accessories as well so you can have a look to decide if they're worth it. I nearly bought the silicon cover but decided against it at the last minute as I don't travel with my R10.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Gee, I wonder why no one came to your rescue? 
size]

Here is my biased view 
size]

Both the R10 and DX100 are excellent sounding DAPs. And they share very similar features. After about 100hrs of burn in, I am now leaning toward the R10 for sound quality. But please take that with a big pinch of salt as I have yet to do a side by side comparison (my DX100 is currently not with me so I can't do any comparison).

I also like the battery life of the R10, which to me is considerably longer lasting than my DX100. Someone in the R10 thread mentioned that his R10 could last 12hrs while the DX100 manages only about 7hrs. Please note that I only use iems for my DAPs and listen to a mixture of 16bits and 24bits files.

The other issue you may want to consider is the warranty. I believe for the R10, you need to send it back to Hibino, Japan. You can't send it to iBasso, China. I am not sure how responsive Hibino is to service request outside of Japan.

If you are buying a new DX100 or R10, the price difference is insignificant - less than $100. So is the R10 the better choice? Only you can decide on that. For me, the choice is clear - I would go for the R10 
size]

All the best to you on your quest for the better DAP.

Can you briefly tell us what is the significant different in term of sound quality between DX100 & HDP-R10?

If I want wider soundstage, super clear vocal/instrument separation, deep extended quality  bass and very thick & detail sound, which is the better model to choose if ignore the battery life?

Don't mind if you can play the "Hotel California by Eagles" with 24 bits/196Kbps Flac during this comparison.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Can you briefly tell us what is the significant different in term of sound quality between DX100 & HDP-R10?

If I want wider soundstage, super clear vocal/instrument separation, deep extended quality  bass and very thick & detail sound, which is the better model to choose if ignore the battery life?

Don't mind if you can play the "Hotel California by Eagles" with 24 bits/196Kbps Flac during this comparison.

I will make this brief and comment only on the sound difference between these two DAPs. What I am about to write is based on a comparison between the DX100 with a burn in time of more than 300hrs versus the R10 with less than 200hrs burn time. So bear this in mind when you read my comments below.

Based on what I hear playing several well recorded tracks ranging from 16bit/44.1kHz to 24bit/192kHz, I would say that the sound difference is very slight. To me, there is a slight difference in sound signature with the R10 being less warm and offering a little bit more clarity. Other than this, I believe both DAPs are very similar and one should not worry too much about the sonic differences. They are both very capable DAPs.

And yes, I did play "Hotel California" 
size]

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I will make this brief and comment only on the sound difference between these two DAPs. What I am about to write is based on a comparison between the DX100 with a burn in time of more than 300hrs versus the R10 with less than 200hrs burn time. So bear this in mind when you read my comments below.

Based on what I hear playing several well recorded tracks ranging from 16bit/44.1kHz to 24bit/192kHz, I would say that the sound difference is very slight. To me, there is a slight difference in sound signature with the R10 being less warm and offering a little bit more clarity. Other than this, I believe both DAPs are very similar and one should not worry too much about the sonic differences. They are both very capable DAPs.

And yes, I did play "Hotel California" 
size]

Could you detect any different in term of sound stage between them when listening to [size=x-small]"Hotel California"?[/size]
[size=x-small]The reason I asked this bacause in some forums some claimed that R10's sound stage is a bit wider.[/size]

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #14 of 17
Could you detect any different in term of sound stage between them when listening to "Hotel California"?
The reason I asked this bacause in some forums some claimed that R10's sound stage is a bit wider.

I cannot recall hearing any difference in soundstage between these two DAPs when playing that track but I will double check and report back tonight. I guess if there is any difference, it would be very subtle. Maybe I don't have golden ears :D

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
I cannot recall hearing any difference in soundstage between these two DAPs when playing that track but I will double check and report back tonight. I guess if there is any difference, it would be very subtle. Maybe I don't have golden ears
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Could you detect any different in term of sound stage between them when listening to [size=x-small]"Hotel California"?[/size]
[size=x-small]The reason I asked this bacause in some forums some claimed that R10's sound stage is a bit wider.[/size]

Quote:
I cannot recall hearing any difference in soundstage between these two DAPs when playing that track but I will double check and report back tonight. I guess if there is any difference, it would be very subtle. Maybe I don't have golden ears
biggrin.gif

I just spent some time to compare the DX100 and R10 for soundstage and to be honest, I can't tell them apart. They are both very similar to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back