iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #11,971 of 13,503
Quote:
The DX100 isn't something I'm comfortable using on the subways...

lol

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #11,972 of 13,503
Well nelamvr6 I do agree with you on some aspects of his post. Since he hasn't indeed heard the DX100 its really all speculation. But I think via software you are able to use the android phones and tablets with an external DAC and even amp section turning it into a transport which is what he is most likely referring to. In this case you can indeed access 24/96 and 24/192 from what I read. Now whether or not it will be on par with the DX100 is pure speculation and I have my doubts even using the DX100 as a transport and it basically sounding like **** to my ears compared to the HO or LO of the DX100.

Even though andoid phones are able to do usb out to external usb dacs the quality of the usb out on android phones is not as good as regular pcs. For example I have a uha-6s mkii, and using it with my laptop as a dac/amp through the usb input, it sounds much better with the laptop than a galaxy s3 that I tried, while through the galaxy s3 it sounded fine, it sounded a bit muddy and lacking compared to the laptop.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #11,973 of 13,503
Quote:
Even though android phones are able to do usb out to external usb dacs the quality of the usb out on android phones is not as good as regular pcs. For example I have a uha-6s mkii, and using it with my laptop as a dac/amp through the usb input, it sounds much better with the laptop than a galaxy s3 that I tried, while through the galaxy s3 it sounded fine, it sounded a bit muddy and lacking compared to the laptop.

Well that is covered in what I said above (implementation). I never said that android devices would surpass PCs in this regard. I'm just stating what it is. You can indeed use android devices as a transport and use external DACs and amps attached to it to play back higher resolution files. That's at least what I've read. Not only should it do this but I'd assume it would noticeably improve the sound quality of the device vs stock. Now whether or not it will indeed compete with the DX100 or even surpass it is pure speculation.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #11,974 of 13,503
I went back from 1.4.2.  The 1.27 firmware just has a nice open and spacious sound that I prefer.

Reloaded fw 1.2.7 and I remember now what you mean about the spacious sound. 1.4.2 does seem to have a little fuller, more articulate bass, but album art and song sequencing works better in 1.2.7 for me. I was pretty much set in staying with 1.4.2 but now I'm not so sure.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #11,979 of 13,503
:) thank you
harping on and on about the same things again and again only gets u ignored.  Move on and just enjoy the music.  Or sell it and stop wasting your time.  

Ignore away, please.

Also, "sell it," seriously? I sent mine back to iBasso for the second time for a replacement due to non working wireless. If I had not, how much would you have given me for it, given that its wireless is completely non working?

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #11,980 of 13,503
It's a bit like complaining about the small trunk of a Ferrari.:wink:

That is a very poor comparison.

A better (though still not accurate) comparison would be: I buy a Ferrari, and the next week the radio and sound system completely fail. I take it back and they give me a replacement, then three weeks later the radio and sound system completely fail again. I complain about it on a web forum and am told I should not expect the radio and sound system to work because that's not what Ferraris are made for, and that I should just sell it because clearly Ferraris are not for me.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #11,981 of 13,503
@AllNight

Are you still go on about it?
Its a niche product and bits don't work - that's the way it is!

You're right to be hissed off about it, but either sell it, ask iBasso for your money back or accept the issues and that iBasso are giving good customer service by replacing the faulty units....and move on.

You bought it to listen to music...and that it does very well...just chalk it up to experience, ignore the wireless...and enjoy your music anyway.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #11,982 of 13,503
I sent the DX100 back to iBasso last weekend. They said they would send me a replacement that has had its wireless up and running for at least several days.

I can understand and can live with the wireless not being perfect (though I'm not happy about it), however, having it get worse and worse to the point of complete failure is (at least to me) not acceptable at all.

So this means that the next DX100 I receive will be the third one is the past 60 days.

I have left the DX100 on the charger overnight; I am wondering if that is a bad idea, as it does feel quite hot coming off the charger. Perhaps I should only charge it for no more than 2 or so hours at a time?

I will update again if wireless fails on this third DX100. I hope it doesn't, because I really love the sound on the device. It sounds as impressive as my CordaDAC + DACCORD when driving my LCD-3's. Imagine, a portable device that can drive LCD-3's! That's why I want it working 100% so much.

This time I am going to stick with the default launcher... At this point, I don't really see the point in using a different one.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #11,983 of 13,503
Quote:
This time I am going to stick with the default launcher... At this point, I don't really see the point in using a different one.

I messed around with mine for a while. Then after the last firmware update - did a factory reset and then left it as standard.
I have the default launcher. I installed a Task Killer - which kills useless apps when the screen goes dark.
I USB music over to it.
I have a charger at home and one in the office - I let mine run down to 10% of thereabouts and then charge it up fully...sometimes I carry on listening while it charges....some times I don't.
I always fire it up while I put my earphones in and by the time I plug them in...no pop and the everything has been indexed....then I play my music
All good
etysmile.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #11,984 of 13,503
Quote:
I sent the DX100 back to iBasso last weekend. They said they would send me a replacement that has had its wireless up and running for at least several days.

I can understand and can live with the wireless not being perfect (though I'm not happy about it), however, having it get worse and worse to the point of complete failure is (at least to me) not acceptable at all.

So this means that the next DX100 I receive will be the third one is the past 60 days.

I have left the DX100 on the charger overnight; I am wondering if that is a bad idea, as it does feel quite hot coming off the charger. Perhaps I should only charge it for no more than 2 or so hours at a time?

I will update again if wireless fails on this third DX100. I hope it doesn't, because I really love the sound on the device. It sounds as impressive as my CordaDAC + DACCORD when driving my LCD-3's. Imagine, a portable device that can drive LCD-3's! That's why I want it working 100% so much.

Good luck, but I really wouldn't bother with the wireless if I were you.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #11,985 of 13,503
I think Allnight is entitled to expect fully functional wifi. Mine is b0rked as well but I really don't want to bother sending it back to have it fixed again. A week without my DX100 is worse than a lifetime without wifi on my DX100 - I honestly never use it, so the only reason to have it fixed would be the resale value. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back