iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #11,911 of 13,503
I have to agree that the DX100 becomes more satisfying the more you use it like a regular music player.  I turn off every feature not needed, don't load any additional apps, and just listen to the sweet music.  I'm still using fw 1.27 and as long as I don't try anything too fancy, the unit is reliable with significantly less UI issues. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #11,912 of 13,503
Oh thank gawd... I though this was the page for the DX50... I looked up prices for the DX100 online and almost crapped my self PHEW lol 

Ehm glad to hear it sounds amazing xD let's hope the little brother sounds just as good :D 

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #11,913 of 13,503
I think that really is key....I've been into android devices awhile and while knowing their capabilities.....I don't think I would mess with too many things on the DX100....the hardware is not that fast and gingerbread isn't exactly cream of the crop if you compare to the current android iteration (ICS or JB).  All I've done is install the firmware I want, root, titanium backup to freeze a lot of unnecessary stuff, turn off wifi, and run the go launcher ex as the launcher to have a simple interface to hit music player.....player has been pretty solid...sorry you're having too much problems but I think this comes from the expectations of using wifi/streaming services (I'm guessing since you've been adamant about the wifi and VPN)....I really think the android OS isn't exactly paired/tested very well with this device.  Bout the only dependable thing I'd run on this is music player.  Hope you get things sorted out.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #11,914 of 13,503
Quote:
I think that really is key....I've been into android devices awhile and while knowing their capabilities.....I don't think I would mess with too many things on the DX100....the hardware is not that fast and gingerbread isn't exactly cream of the crop if you compare to the current android iteration (ICS or JB).  All I've done is install the firmware I want, root, titanium backup to freeze a lot of unnecessary stuff, turn off wifi, and run the go launcher ex as the launcher to have a simple interface to hit music player.....player has been pretty solid...sorry you're having too much problems but I think this comes from the expectations of using wifi/streaming services (I'm guessing since you've been adamant about the wifi and VPN)....I really think the android OS isn't exactly paired/tested very well with this device.  Bout the only dependable thing I'd run on this is music player.  Hope you get things sorted out.

Quote:
I have to agree that the DX100 becomes more satisfying the more you use it like a regular music player.  I turn off every feature not needed, don't load any additional apps, and just listen to the sweet music.  I'm still using fw 1.27 and as long as I don't try anything too fancy, the unit is reliable with significantly less UI issues. 

exactly what one should do!i dun find default music player seriously buggy at all. it's just not that very user friendly. just hoping that dx100 will have a reserve playlist that user can add any file holder/songs/playlist/etc they are currently viewing to this reserve list and music player will only play this reserve list

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #11,915 of 13,503
No I don't stream, just use the WiFi mainly to transfer MP3 files to the device, and check for app updates. The VPN was strictly for troubleshooting the "Package file is invalid" error I was getting with the August 9 2013 update to Go Launcher EX. I would have no reason to use VPN at all otherwise.

I really like PowerAmp better than the default, it has better DSP and a limiter as well. Poweramp seems to work fine, as long as Wireless is turned off. The EQ on the stock player seems to only attenuate.

After a factory restore, I was able to reinstall every single app except Go Launcher Ex with no problems, and the device is also working smoother as well with no issues. Only Go Launcher Ex gives a "Package File is Invalid" error when trying to install. So I guess I don't get to use that any more; not like I really needed it. Just annoying.

Here are the apps on my device:

"Market" updates to "Play Store" automatically after going into it, and changes stock icon.

Stock:

Play Store
Email
Browser
Settings
Calendar
Downloads
Gallery
Music
Calculator
Search
ES File Explorer (Updated stock to latest using Play Store)

Added:

Poweramp
Poweramp Unlocker
PlayerPro (Just another player alternative)
DSPPack (For PlayerPro)
App Update Notifier
Spectrum Analyzer 2
Clean Master

The only other thing I would put on is Go Launcher Ex, but, now, no longer possible, unless I try to force it on by rooting the device, which I don't have any experience with or know how to do. If someone could post a step by step guide that would be nice, but still, I don't want to accidentally brick this $900 Amp/DAC due to inexperience.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #11,916 of 13,503
I only installed AWD Launcher and Battery Solo Widget on my DX100. I am very happy with the performance as I didn't use WiFi or Bluetooth. I installed MicroSD Extreme 64GB which allows the system read from the card 80Mbps. I can load all my 62GB songs into my DX100 in less than 2mins with this high speed card.

Overall, it is just my music player and I play the album and the I listen to it. Nothing fancy I expect to do with this player. I am very happy with the sound quality as it beat my friend's AK120 and put his AK120 into a shame as he paid so high price for it.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #11,917 of 13,503
Read the FAQ posted on the 1st page:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx100-faq

Sorensim gives some great step by step instructions on runnin the gingerbread root exploit.  It's quite easy actually.....of course, like all things firmware/system related, not responsible for bricking.  You getting the invalid package message doesn't seem like a root issue though, it is just a launcher and I think you may have a corrupted apk (probably got corrupted somewhere along the line when you were copying things around)....unless you were just installing from the google market?  If that's the case then maybe they posted a bad apk recently that they have to fix.....the invalid package thing doesn't sound like it has to do with the latest firmware or root.....unless there's something magical they implemented on the latest firmware to stop installation of launchers for some odd reason.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #11,918 of 13,503
The "Package File is Invalid" is coming from the Google Market (Play Store) install of only the latest version of Go Launcher Ex. As I said, I'm not putting .apk's on manually. I would think if it's corrupted on the Play Store then everyone would be getting this when updating (it's a very popular app). Unless the .apk is somehow staying on the iBasso, and is corrupted. Does anyone know if I can use the ES File Explorer to check for the .apk file, and delete it if it's there? (That's all I can think of... I have extremely limited experience with tablets and phones.)

By the way... at 4:00 am, I powered the iBasso up, was only going to transfer some new .mp3's onto it via wireless and start listening... no wireless icon. It took me FORTY minutes to get the wireless up. I just kept continuously disabling it, re-enabling it, powering off, powering on, and kept cycling in variations of that order... forty minutes later, it finally comes up. This is with the device directly in front of the router. Wish I could just used wired Ethernet. Tried 20 minutes of standard router wireless and 20 minutes of single channel 6 config, doesn't seem to make any difference.

I really wish these frustrations with the wireless could be fixed. (This is my second device, on the first one I received, the wireless completely died within two days and even a factory restore wouldn't fix it.) I don't think the wireless should behave this way, given the few apps I installed (which I listed in my previous post).

What a frustrating experience.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #11,919 of 13,503
Quote:
The "Package File is Invalid" is coming from the Google Market (Play Store) install of only the latest version of Go Launcher Ex. As I said, I'm not putting .apk's on manually. I would think if it's corrupted on the Play Store then everyone would be getting this when updating (it's a very popular app). Unless the .apk is somehow staying on the iBasso, and is corrupted. Does anyone know if I can use the ES File Explorer to check for the .apk file, and delete it if it's there? (That's all I can think of... I have extremely limited experience with tablets and phones.)

By the way... at 4:00 am, I powered the iBasso up, was only going to transfer some new .mp3's onto it via wireless and start listening... no wireless icon. It took me FORTY minutes to get the wireless up. I just kept continuously disabling it, re-enabling it, powering off, powering on, and kept cycling in variations of that order... forty minutes later, it finally comes up. This is with the device directly in front of the router. Wish I could just used wired Ethernet. Tried 20 minutes of standard router wireless and 20 minutes of single channel 6 config, doesn't seem to make any difference.

I really wish these frustrations with the wireless could be fixed. (This is my second device, on the first one I received, the wireless completely died within two days and even a factory restore wouldn't fix it.) I don't think the wireless should behave this way, given the few apps I installed (which I listed in my previous post).

What a frustrating experience.

I would give up if I were you. I seriously don't think the DX100 is for you. I have have mine since the release of the 1st batch and totally love it. I still sometimes have jaw drop moments when I am listening. I have no problems with my DX100 but I only use it as a music player. You feel the need to use wifi and obviously feel that some of the price you paid is for this function despite many advising you that this is not a feature of the DX100 that works well and actually derides for the listening experience ( pos, clicks while it is on). I transfer files wirelessly to my android phone but I wouldn't consider doing this with my DX100. As for running other apps, again, I don't see the point.

The ibasso player is optimised for the deivce and is capable of playing hi res files (which other apps downsample). The amazing and consistent sound quality is due to the ibasso apk so I really don't see the point of using other player apps. I rooted mine and have frozen all non essential apps with titamium backup. I followed Sorensim's guide in the wiki (front page) and all is really stable. Why would I want to check my mail or calender on my music player? Why would I want to add dsp effects when I bought the player because of its natural sound?

Anyways, as I said before I really think you have made a purchase that will continuously disappoint you as you seen to require many things other than just a device that just makes music sound better than I have heard before from a portable device. Why don't you sell it  and buy a phone with a good line out and an amp?   

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #11,920 of 13,503
If what you say is really 100% true, I don't think users should have to root the device by following a guide and locking things down with titamium. The device should just come that way!

As I stated, wireless should at least be stable because that (should be) the easiest way to transfer music & sound files to the device.

I never said, and do not plan to, use any apps for checking mail or calenders. I also don't plan to regularly use DSP effects, but they are there if I want them depending on the source.

While I appreciate your reply I do find it kind of on the snobby side.

If this device was not made to use wireless or run Android apps, it should be clearly stated in its advertising, or should come with these abilities disabled. Just because I want to be able to use a different player or sometimes use a different EQ or DSP, does not mean I do not appreciate the capabilities of the device; to suggest otherwise is simply not true, and insulting.

And again, I point out, the suggestion to install Power Amp and Go Launcher Ex comes straight from Head-Fi's FAQ.

Anyway, I was able to get Go Launcher Ex back by doing the following:

Download APK from here: http://golauncher.goforandroid.com/2013/08/go-launcher-ex-v4-02-beta1/

Transfer APK to micro SD card in iBasso DX100.

Installed AppInstaller from PlayStore, which installs .apks from the SD Card without needing to root the device.

Of course, when I powered back on to do this, the wireless icon was gone, and again, it took about 30 minutes to get it back. (Turn off wireless, reboot, turn on wireless, reboot, turn off wireless, turn on wireless, etc., etc.)

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #11,921 of 13,503

Just wondering, did you try 1.4.2 and go back? I was curious how many of those who were using 1.2.7 upgraded and stayed with 1.4.2 and how many reverted. I've been happy with 1.4.2 but can't remember what 1.2.7 sounds like anymore. The album art and sorting work better in 1.2.7 in my experience. Maybe I'll try it again.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #11,922 of 13,503
Quote:

Just wondering, did you try 1.4.2 and go back? I was curious how many of those who were using 1.2.7 upgraded and stayed with 1.4.2 and how many reverted. I've been happy with 1.4.2 but can't remember what 1.2.7 sounds like anymore. The album art and sorting work better in 1.2.7 in my experience. Maybe I'll try it again.

I went back from 1.4.2.  The 1.27 firmware just has a nice open and spacious sound that I prefer.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #11,923 of 13,503
Quote:
If what you say is really 100% true, I don't think users should have to root the device by following a guide and locking things down with titamium. The device should just come that way!

As I stated, wireless should at least be stable because that (should be) the easiest way to transfer music & sound files to the device.

I never said, and do not plan to, use any apps for checking mail or calenders. I also don't plan to regularly use DSP effects, but they are there if I want them depending on the source.

While I appreciate your reply I do find it kind of on the snobby side.

If this device was not made to use wireless or run Android apps, it should be clearly stated in its advertising, or should come with these abilities disabled. Just because I want to be able to use a different player or sometimes use a different EQ or DSP, does not mean I do not appreciate the capabilities of the device; to suggest otherwise is simply not true, and insulting.

And again, I point out, the suggestion to install Power Amp and Go Launcher Ex comes straight from Head-Fi's FAQ.

Anyway, I was able to get Go Launcher Ex back by doing the following:

Download APK from here: http://golauncher.goforandroid.com/2013/08/go-launcher-ex-v4-02-beta1/

Transfer APK to micro SD card in iBasso DX100.

Installed AppInstaller from PlayStore, which installs .apks from the SD Card without needing to root the device.

Of course, when I powered back on to do this, the wireless icon was gone, and again, it took about 30 minutes to get it back. (Turn off wireless, reboot, turn on wireless, reboot, turn off wireless, turn on wireless, etc., etc.)

Not sure how much of this thread you have read but Power Amp suggestion was in the early days before cover art was picked up properly and before it was realised that the native player is the only one to play hi res files without down sampling.

Also it has been said many times that the Android capabilities on this device are not the reason to purchase it. I believe the Japanese version has many of these features locked.

You must realise by now that the best way to transfer files on to the DX100 is via usb and not wireless.

The DX100 does sound wonderful to my ears and I am prepared to lock features that I have found can cause glitches and complicate my usage. I use my DX100 daily, rooted and with most apps locked, and it is very stable for me. I agree that this is not perfect but I feel it is worth it for the sound. I think this is a common feeling across the whole thread.

If I wanted a stable android player I wouldn't buy or recommend the DX100. But if I were to be asked what item of gear reaches closest to my audio nirvana I would say without hesitation, the DX100. The only gripes for me are that i wish it had a longer battery life (7/8 hours is not a big problem for me but longer would be perfect), and I would like to be able to change tracks without the touch screen (tactile buttons)

Apologies if you feel I was insulting or came across as snobby. I hope you get to spend some more time listening to it cos it may win you over but you sound much more annoyed with the DX100's failings that I was.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #11,924 of 13,503
@Allnight

The hardware and the Gingerbread OS really aren't that good and its not worth playing about with it.

Add music via USB...use just the inbuilt player....and away you go.

If you want to:
Root it, install Titanium backup and Freeze\remove some of the not needed apps (there are instructions on the first page of this thread)

You don't need a different launcher - when you turn it on, you're taken straight to the player - if you need more info, the secondary player provides that.

The SQ is excellent and you seem to be wasting to much time messing around to get things working that just won't

Stop messing about with it - load your music and enjoy.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #11,925 of 13,503
Rooting is definitely not a necessity.  I am fairly sure your invalid package error has something to do with your inconsistent wifi, so it's not grabbing the apk properly from google play.  You can always test by grabbing the ex launcher app through the market on another android device, backup using titanium or save as apk and then sideload it on the ibasso.  IMO like the others said another launcher isn't exactly necessary since when it comes down to it....all you need to do is use the music player and everything else on the device is pretty useless.  You'd probably need to go into settings just to disable wifi/BT and customize a bit and then just use the music player.....trying to use the wifi and other stuff in my experience just leads to trouble.  Rooting and using Titanium Backup to freeze some apps is just tickling the inner geek for people familiar with android, it's not at all necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back