iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #11,899 of 13,503
IBasso is busy in the DX50 Launch and production, so the new DX100 firmware, if any and whatever enhancement it would be, would be put into rather lower priority, I suppose. Take their time. Make sense??

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #11,903 of 13,503
Well, I could write a super long review so far about this thing that details the huge list of problems I have been having... let's just say, my Wireless on my replaced device is working, but it is extremely buggy and difficult to get to stay working, even when right in front of the router.

In addition to that, the iBasso has in general proved to be extremely buggy and clunky for me in terms of its Android O/S. Every single time I turn this stupid thing on, EVERY SINGLE TIME, I have problems that require constant cache clearing, task killing, app data erasing, app uninstalls / reinstalls, and often times it won't even play music (if I try to play music, it hangs for about 10 seconds, then the play bar starts moving at 5X speed and no sound comes out).

My latest thing is there was an update to Go Launcher EX. When I tried to update, I got "Package file is invalid." So I uninstalled, then when I tried to reinstall, I got the same thing. I tried every single thing on every single web site I could find to try to reinstall and get around this error, and was blocked at every single turn. So now, I no longer have Go Launcher Ex for my launcher / front end, and have no way to get it back (and I paid for the stupid "Prime" version).

It was two hours since I turned the device on today, and two hours of time screw**g with this thing that I can't get back. Repeat that process for just about every single day and every single time I tried to use it for the past couple of weeks. Last night I just wanted to play music and it took over an hour to get it going.

Meanwhile, my Clip Zip+ player works flawlessly.

I know the DX100 has a great amp and DAC that are probably worth more than the device costs and that's great, but they're useless if you can't even use the device. I REALLY wish they could make some kind of update for this device that gets completely rid of this Android BS and replaces it with something like the Clip Zip for the player which gives rock solid performance.

Just expressing my opinions and frustrations, no personal insults or attacks should be implied. :p

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #11,904 of 13,503
Quote:
Well, I could write a super long review so far about this thing that details the huge list of problems I have been having... let's just say, my Wireless on my replaced device is working, but it is extremely buggy and difficult to get to stay working, even when right in front of the router.

In addition to that, the iBasso has in general proved to be extremely buggy and clunky for me in terms of its Android O/S. Every single time I turn this stupid thing on, EVERY SINGLE TIME, I have problems that require constant cache clearing, task killing, app data erasing, app uninstalls / reinstalls, and often times it won't even play music (if I try to play music, it hangs for about 10 seconds, then the play bar starts moving at 5X speed and no sound comes out).

My latest thing is there was an update to Go Launcher EX. When I tried to update, I got "Package file is invalid." So I uninstalled, then when I tried to reinstall, I got the same thing. I tried every single thing on every single web site I could find to try to reinstall and get around this error, and was blocked at every single turn. So now, I no longer have Go Launcher Ex for my launcher / front end, and have no way to get it back (and I paid for the stupid "Prime" version).

It was two hours since I turned the device on today, and two hours of time screw**g with this thing that I can't get back. Repeat that process for just about every single day and every single time I tried to use it for the past couple of weeks. Last night I just wanted to play music and it took over an hour to get it going.

I know the DX100 has a great amp and DAC that are probably worth more than the device costs and that's great, but they're useless if you can't even use the device. I REALLY wish they could make some kind of update for this device that gets completely rid of this Android BS and replaces it with something like the Clip Zip for the player which gives rock solid performance.

Just expressing my opinions and frustrations, no personal insults or attacks should be implied.
tongue.gif

For the wifi, you need to make sure that your wifi router is on single channel mode eg. channel 6 or 11.

Have you tried rooting your DX100?  There's a list of apps you can freeze using Titanium Backup. I have also freeze - any app that have Google on its name - google play and framework. With rooting, UI runs smoother and the unit itself runs cooler.

As for the Go Launcher Ex, I have tried it before and found it to be too buggy. I just switch to AWD launcher and kept everything minimal e.g. one window. Also I think it is required that you use one launcher (meaning you should disable the default launcher by rooting - but make should you dont accidentally disable both) :)

My opinion on the android UI is that it has great potential especially once the API is released. Tons of great Android players / Rockbox that can solve most of our problems with the DX100 e.g UI, media scanning, EQ, perhaps crossfeed

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #11,905 of 13,503
Quote:

Just expressing my opinions and frustrations, no personal insults or attacks should be implied.
tongue.gif

stop messing around with android ginger bread and just load musics into dx100 and listen to music. 
do u ever install app on your sansa clip zip+,go launcher? power amp? if not on your clip zip+, y do u even compare with dx100?just because it's capable of doing so?does ur sansa have a wifi? and u r even complaing dx100's wifi doesn't work and how great your sansa is while it doesn't even have a wifi?

my suggestion, reset dx100 and only load musics and not install apps and nor play with other features. just enjoy the music.

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #11,906 of 13,503
For the wifi, you need to make sure that your wifi router is on single channel mode eg. channel 6 or 11.

Have you tried rooting your DX100?  There's a list of apps you can freeze using Titanium Backup. I have also freeze - any app that have Google on its name - google play and framework. With rooting, UI runs smoother and the unit itself runs cooler.

As for the Go Launcher Ex, I have tried it before and found it to be too buggy. I just switch to AWD launcher and kept everything minimal e.g. one window. Also I think it is required that you use one launcher (meaning you should disable the default launcher by rooting - but make should you dont accidentally disable both) :)

My opinion on the android UI is that it has great potential especially once the API is released. Tons of great Android players / Rockbox that can solve most of our problems with the DX100 e.g UI, media scanning, EQ, perhaps crossfeed

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts. However, I really don't want to do all that, I just want a player like the Clip Zip but with the higher end amp/dac. Just want music, don't want to spend time with rooting the iBasso and messing with my WiFi router which works fine with every single other device I have! :p

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #11,907 of 13,503
stop messing around with android ginger bread and just load musics into dx100 and listen to music. 
do u ever install app on your sansa clip zip+,go launcher? power amp? if not on your clip zip+, y do u even compare with dx100?just because it's capable of doing so?does ur sansa have a wifi? and u r even complaing dx100's wifi doesn't work and how great your sansa is while it doesn't even have a wifi?

my suggestion, reset dx100 and only load musics and not install apps and nor play with other features. just enjoy the music.

Thanks for the reply, you make a very very good point (despite leaning toward the rude and insulting side).

I think I will try a complete factory reset and just reload my music files, and not install anything. I am hoping I can do that without running in to trouble like I've been having though.

By the way, the recommendation to install Power Amp and Go Launcher Ex came right from the Head-Fi FAQ:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx100-faq

Also, it should be noted that the DX-100 is billed as fully Android app compatible. If it had used its own proprietary player users wouldn't waste time trying to put any apps at all on the device, and therefore wouldn't waste their time with rooting and wireless tweaking when all they want is a player with a high end DAC and amp already onboard. I don't think it's fair to criticize a user who complains that the device becomes completely buggy and unusable when installing apps on a device that is marketed as being Android app compatible.

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #11,908 of 13,503
I did the factory restore, and set the wireless router to single channel (channel 11) mode.

Go Launcher Ex still gives the "package file in invalid" error when I try to install it (it was the very first thing I tried to do), so, I guess Go Launcher Ex is now incompatible with at least my device.

Can anyone else with Go Launcher Ex try to update and see if it works? As long as you don't uninstall it, you shouldn't lose it.

I suspect that the latest version of Go Launcher Ex may be no longer work on the DX100. Due to the absolutely wonderful world of proprietary tablet and phone stores, users no longer have the control and ability of installing a previous version of an application. So, I can't put the previous version of Go Launcher Ex on to see if that version installs or not. Isn't that marvelous and user friendly?

In the mean time I think I should best leave this alone, I have probably wasted at least 24+ hours messing with this thing over the past couple of weeks. Enough is enough, why do I continue to abuse myself. What an extreme negative connotation to my user name.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #11,909 of 13,503
I spent yet another hour+ on this, and found some information on the internet to try using a VPN to troubleshoot "Package file is invalid" errors.

So I installed Hideman VPN, and found that it did not work, at all.

So I uninstalled that, and manually entered a VPN that I know works with Android. THAT, also, did not work. At all. It just hung on connecting. (Verified working on PC.)

This was done immediately after a Factory Data reset.

So, more time wasted to find out that apparently the iBasso DX-100 does not work with VPN's, despite having a setting form them in the device settings.

Blocked, blocked, and blocked again. Wonderful.

By the way, does anyone know if Bluetooth headphones or speakers work with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back