iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #11,881 of 13,503
Quote:
It's all good. You'll be back. 

The DX100 made me stop looking at other sources, dacs and amps. I think that's the highest praise I can give a piece of equipment.

I'm keeping an eye on the DX50 tho, out of curiosity. Would be cool if Ibasso could cram some of the DX100 magic into a smaller, much cheaper DAP.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #11,882 of 13,503
Hi
I need to send my DX100 back to iBasso and wondered if there is anything I need to do before packaging it up as the guys over there were pretty limited in there email as to what I need to do, Do I enclose my details in there or send them the serial number I'm a bit confused, also I don't have the warranty card as I bought it from one of the guys on here and it had just run out what do they usually charge for repairs? I'm in the UK so I don't want to risk sending it and never seeing it again as they aint cheap to buy
Thanks

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #11,883 of 13,503
Quote:
Hi
I need to send my DX100 back to iBasso and wondered if there is anything I need to do before packaging it up as the guys over there were pretty limited in there email as to what I need to do, Do I enclose my details in there or send them the serial number I'm a bit confused, also I don't have the warranty card as I bought it from one of the guys on here and it had just run out what do they usually charge for repairs? I'm in the UK so I don't want to risk sending it and never seeing it again as they aint cheap to buy
Thanks

I would recommend sending it with tracking no. It is more expensive but at least it will arrive faster and you will know if it has been received. Normally, they will request the warranty card no. If you can provide it to them via e-mail, it should be adequate. They may know if your DX100 is out of warranty. But who knows? 
biggrin.gif
 If you can't provide a warranty card no., iBasso will advise you that you will be charged for parts. They can only give you the exact amount once they have received your DX100 and ascertained the problem.

Based on my previous experience with iBasso, they were very efficient and professional. So you should not have any worries once your DX100 is in their hands.

Good luck on your shipment.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #11,884 of 13,503
I'm having a serious problem with my DX100 that I think can only be related to sensitivity of the DX100 to electrostatic discharge.

I got my DX100 end of April 2012 and noticed pretty soon that sometines when I unlocked my postbox or apartment door the volume would fade away for ~half a second (it wouldn't pause and start playback, just the volume would go away). One of the very first things I did, when I received my DX100 was to turn off the autoscreen rotator, because i found it a very annoying feature. Anyway, after 4 months it didn't turn on anymore and I had to send it back to ibasso. After they had repaired it they let me know, upon inquiry, that the power management chip had failed. 7 months later I had to send it back the second time. I explained to them how the DX100 behaved when I unlocked my postbox / apartment door and that I thought the failures were caused by electrostatic shocks which would cause damage to the DX100. I received it back and this time it was the CPU that was replaced. On the second day of using the DX100 after I had received it back for the second time I noticed it still behaved the same way when I unlocked my apartment door and so I asked ibasso to send me a replacement for my DX100 so I could find out if it was only my unit that was so sensitive to electrostatic discharge or if it was part of the DX100s design. So I sent my old DX100 back, received a new one from ibasso and lo and behold, it behaved in exactly the same way as my first DX100. When I noticed this for the first time with the new DX100, I immediately stopped using it (didn't want to damage it any further).

I now want to sell my DX100, because obviously it would break within a few or several months if I continued using it and this would just be stupid, when I could as well sell a practically brand new DX100 and get something that handles electrostatic discharge better and won't die on me (like my sansa clip or sony discman, which never reacted to me unlocking my postbox / apartment door in any way, but obviously don't cut it sound-quality wise).

Thoughts, comments or any advice would be appreciated.

I quoted some probably relevant postings from this thread below:

Quote:

Wow.  That seems messed up...why would we get a start/stop from just touching the DX100 (especially with the screen off)?  

I thought I had an oddball problem with mine, but so far 4-5 people have responded that they have experienced this problem to one degree or another.  I'm surprised this hasn't come up on this thread until now. 

I can't reproduce the problem now, but the day it was happening, my DX100 was unusable as the playback was "hiccuping" so much.  What's the answer?  Is there a way to completely disable the accelerometer to see if that works?   

Quote:
Reading the recent threads made me remember some high school physics, which I forgot long time ago.
tongue_smile.gif

But from what other posters described, it seems some dx100 units got bad grounding circuit, maybe better send them back to ibasso for checking. I haven't got such issues, with/without the silicon case.

Quote:
Same problem, dx100 dose have strange pause while in my pocket during walking. Any one know how to fix it?

Quote:
Did you disable screen autorotate ?

Quote:
I disabled everything I can find on android leaving only the music player running. The truth is, I even disabled background data sync as well as the vibration.

I assume it's caused by the electrostatic charges build up in my pocket by rubbing it against my coat.

Not sure a grouping pin will help though

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #11,886 of 13,503
The DX100 definitely does not handle electrostatic fields or electrical interference very well.  The other day I was using a "weed whacker" with a small gas engine while listening to my DX100.  Anytime the engine came within 1 to 1.5 feet of the DX100, all sound would stop coming from the device.  I've never experienced this problem with any other music player.  I ended up wearing the DX100 on my other side (opposite the engine) and that ended up being far enough away that the problem did not repeat.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #11,887 of 13,503
Quote:
maybe you can try getting the silicon cover to insulate the dx100's aluminum body?

Hey, thanks for the suggestion!

Do others this could work, too? A friend of mine, who is a very competent electronics engineer, said that the electricity would enter into the DX100 through the headphone-headband (I used DT250-250 with my DX100 all the time and I think they have a metal headband)->headhpone cable->headphone jack of the DX100 and I guess the silicon case wouldn't help if this was the case.

I actually have a silicon case because I had ordered one before I found out that the new DX100 still had the same problem, but I didn't try putting it on the DX100 to see if it would help. I suppose it would either insulate (=> no electrostatic shock to the DX100 at all) or not (=> same electrostatic shocks as without) but I don't want to find out in 1 or 2 years time that the silicon case just lessened the electrostatic shocks and just made the problem harder to notice or made it take longer till a vital part of the DX100 would fail. Do you think this or similar risks would be involved when trying the silicon case?

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #11,888 of 13,503
Quote:

I actually have a silicon case because I had ordered one before I found out that the new DX100 still had the same problem, but I didn't try putting it on the DX100 to see if it would help. I suppose it would either insulate (=> no electrostatic shock to the DX100 at all) or not (=> same electrostatic shocks as without) ....

I wouldn't expect the silicone case to provide any electromagnetic shielding...

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #11,889 of 13,503
electrostatic is different from electromagnetic from what I understand :)

for the electromagnetic/rf interference, I currently use those stickers that suppose to absorb them eg gadgetsafe (philippine product). I stick that on the body of my 627, pretty much sandwiched by dx100 and 627 not sure if it works but I haven't experience any cellular phone interference yet

for the electrostatic problem, I think there is no solution for it unless you ground yourself using ESD straps to zero out the discharge before using the dx100 :) not sure, but you can ask your friend if you can use a humidifier in your place. low relative humidity generates a lot of ESD :) correct me if I'm wrong

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #11,893 of 13,503
While charging the DX100, always feel the static effect when running fingers across the magnesium frame.
So far no issues but not sure if any potential hazard.

Still, the DX100 has served well for over a year and has since found a new owner and home.
Will carry fond memories of our time together.
smile.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #11,894 of 13,503
Quote:
oh i had the same problem of pausing starting the music for like half a second but i thought that was just a algorithmic problem in programming the music player. now i am getting worried...

If the music really paused for half a second, then it's probably something different. For me only the volume went away for half a second but when it came back I always thought that the playback of the track had continued, even while I couldn't actually hear the music. Is there a pattern to when this mostly happens with your DX100?

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #11,895 of 13,503
Quote:

If the music really paused for half a second, then it's probably something different. For me only the volume went away for half a second but when it came back I always thought that the playback of the track had continued, even while I couldn't actually hear the music. Is there a pattern to when this mostly happens with your DX100?

most likely when i pickup the dx100 from station status on desk which made me believed that it was cuz of the accelometer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back