iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #11,251 of 13,503
Quote:

Paired mine with the Portaphile 627 - bigger soundstage, more powerful (powers HE6) against DX100's internal amp 

As for WAV, you can't (I think) attach album art. also, DX100 cannot read the folder.jpg format.. I tried it before, thus, I suggest just use an album cover downloader app or use uncompressed flac for those  :)
As for FLAC, there's a guide by lee730 using mp3tag to fix the tags. also, use Drivesort after to fix the potential play sequence.

Thanks for the ideas.

Actually, album art *is* displaying with some WAV files, using the "folder.jpg" image naming that I'm using in all my album folders. It just isn't consistent; some "folder.jpg" album graphics show with albums that are composed of all WAV files, and some show up for albums that are FLAC files. It just isn't 100% consistently displaying in either FLAC or WAV albums.

I also have no problems with tags at all... for the FLACs of course. (I know that WAVs can't be tagged.) I use the MP3tag program and sometimes Drivesort. The play sequence of files is fine, too.

It's just the album art showing up for some, but not all WAVs, and some, but not all FLACs. Maybe I need to change the name of the files to "artwork.jpg"? I think I read somewhere that's an alternative name.

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #11,252 of 13,503
Thanks for the ideas.

Actually, album art *is* displaying with some WAV files, using the "folder.jpg" image naming that I'm using in all my album folders. It just isn't consistent; some "folder.jpg" album graphics show with albums that are composed of all WAV files, and some show up for albums that are FLAC files. It just isn't 100% consistently displaying in either FLAC or WAV albums.

I also have no problems with tags at all... for the FLACs of course. (I know that WAVs can't be tagged.) I use the MP3tag program and sometimes Drivesort. The play sequence of files is fine, too.

It's just the album art showing up for some, but not all WAVs, and some, but not all FLACs. Maybe I need to change the name of the files to "artwork.jpg"? I think I read somewhere that's an alternative name.

Also I remember that I did encounter some flac tagging problem - a song shows 'unknown artist' even though I wrote / re wrote the tags using mp3tag. I did erased and reindex my database but to no avail. What fixed the tags that song was re-encoding the song again to flac (flac to flac) .

Also, try to remove the existing album art. Mp3tag can embed multiple album art into one flac. :)

I'll give the artwork.jpg a try. Thanks for the info :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #11,253 of 13,503
We didn't actually get to compare firmwares, but gathering what was probably all Danish DX100 was fun.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #11,254 of 13,503
Quote:

That is not correct. WAV files CAN be tagged and read by the the DX100. I'm sure most mp3 taggers can do it but MediaMonkey is the one I use. I haven't found an mp3 tagger app where I can edit the WAV files on the DX100, but certainly they can be tagged from the PC.

And artwork does display with WAV files, but I concur with previous posts that it seems random which albums it works on. I use folder.jpg and sometimes that works and sometime it doesn't. Sometimes I use the name of the album and sometimes that works, too. It would be nice to have some detailed documentation from iBasso on how the DX100 player deals with artwork. Which method works best for different file formats, etc.

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #11,256 of 13,503
Quote:
I never had problems with the artwork... if a jpg image is embedded in the files (flac, wav, ape or whatever) it shows, otherwise it doesn't.

The WAV file format does not support embedded artwork. The DX100 can only display artwork for WAV is if there is a .jpg file in the folder, usually called album.jpg or folder.jpg. The DX100 has some mechanism where it reads this file when it does an index and stores a smaller copy in another folder. I think it uses these this smaller, thumbnail versions to display on the screen. But I'm not sure how all this exactly happens because sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #11,257 of 13,503
Quote:
The WAV file format does not support embedded artwork. The DX100 can only display artwork for WAV is if there is a .jpg file in the folder, usually called album.jpg or folder.jpg. The DX100 has some mechanism where it reads this file when it does an index and stores a smaller copy in another folder. I think it uses these this smaller, thumbnail versions to display on the screen. But I'm not sure how all this exactly happens because sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't.

There is a way you can always display Album Art on all of your albums no problem on the DX100. You would have to buy dBpoweramp the advance version of the software rip your music into WAV, then it will give you the option to put the music in FLAC uncompressed. It's still WAV format though. Except it wil now be recognized in FLAC, I call it FLAV. I've been using this software for the past couple of months and has worked great for me.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/purchase.htm

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #11,258 of 13,503
Quote:
I've been using this software for the past couple of months and has worked great for me.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/purchase.htm

dBPowerAmp should be every head-fi'ers first purchase after getting their headphones. It is one of the few pieces of software that I am more than happy to pay for! EVERYBODY should have it if they use any sort of audio files. Throw in Mp3Tag and you're golden.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #11,260 of 13,503
Quote:
dBPowerAmp should be every head-fi'ers first purchase after getting their headphones. It is one of the few pieces of software that I am more than happy to pay for! EVERYBODY should have it if they use any sort of audio files. Throw in Mp3Tag and you're golden.

I'm a big fan too!  Their Secure Ripper does a great job, and it's a lot quicker than EAC.  The Transcoder can't be beat!

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #11,261 of 13,503
Quote:

Never had problems in embedding artworks into wav files by using dbpoweramp... And they are recognized by the DX100

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #11,263 of 13,503

+1 dbPowerAmp is terrific. I used it to rip my entire classical CD collection (about 650 albums) to FLAC, with virtually no glitches.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #11,264 of 13,503
Hi,

I've had my DX100 for a year now. I've been using it with the Unique Melody Miracle.

I have a few issues.

1) The battery life doesn't even last 5 hours now. Screen off, blank drive (so no background processes). Any help?

2) Sometimes playback gets strange. A problem I couldn't solve easily was when there would be intermittent random pauses for a second or two a few times an hour. Any help here?

Version 1.37 firmware.

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #11,265 of 13,503
Just posted the sale of a Second Batch Dx100, 1 year old. in For sale section. If anybody is interested, I am going to hang on to the HDP-R10 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back