iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #11,236 of 13,503
1.2.7. is better than 1.3.7, the soundstage mids and highs and microdetail sounds so euphoric. The sound of 1.2.7 is the best sounding firmware no doubt.,  I At first thought that 1.3.7 was the best listening firmware til i booted 1.2.7 for the first time a couple days ago.. There is a huge audio difference between the 2 firmwares. Ibasso Audio needs to realise this.

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #11,237 of 13,503
Quote:
1.2.7. is better than 1.3.7, the soundstage mids and highs and microdetail sounds so euphoric. The sound of 1.2.7 is the best sounding firmware no doubt.,  I At first thought that 1.3.7 was the best listening firmware til i booted 1.2.7 for the first time a couple days ago.. There is a huge audio difference between the 2 firmwares. Ibasso Audio needs to realise this.

I think 1.1.7 may have been the most neutral sounding of them all and in that very enjoyable still. It was enough so to make me wonder when switching between the firmwares and listening to my MDR-7550s. Although ended up liking 1.2.7 as well.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #11,238 of 13,503
Personally i find the earpiece or headphone we pair with the DX100, determines which firmware sounds better.

For me, the 1.2.7 pairs best with my JH13pro. while the 1.3.7 pairs well with the ATH-W3000 ANV.
There are differences between both pairing but are just as enjoyable. 
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #11,241 of 13,503
Quote:

Please tell them. Everyone, email iBasso your opinions if you want them to head in that direction. We've had success with this process in the past.  

I already did, I think it was two weeks after the release of 1.3.7 :) but I got the same reply as dcfac73 - that's to use EQ instead.

Just to think out loud my thoughts on what the sound signature should be: a firmware with SQ of 1.1.7 then add bass boost options ( +1 - 1.2.7, +2 - 1.3.7) 

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #11,242 of 13,503
I've been let down with past firmware updates.  Functionality has only slightly gotten better, but I think I've "settled" more than anything.  I'm also using 1.2.7 for the sound which I have no complaint of...but I sure wish they would could make the DX100 at least as snappy as the average android device.  I'm pretty tired of the slow start-ups, lock-ups while scrolling through screens, and general GUI funkiness.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #11,245 of 13,503
I've had the O2 paired with my DX100 for a few days, and it's indeed a great combination. I've had some suggestions to try the Tralucent T1 amp as well as the iFi iCAN amplifier. The iCAN has a unique "3D" switch that sounds intriguing; I'm a sucker for a deep, wide soundstage. However, I really like the O2's footprint along with it's ability to power the LCD-2 effortlessly; it fits neatly beneath the DX100 with a very short IC cable and makes a great transportable package.

I'm still getting used to the quirks of the DX100, so bear with me... why does the unit only display some album art and not others? All the graphics are named "folder.jpg" but only about 1/3 of them will show when I play music from their respective album folders. I have tried resetting the DX100 multiple times, and have let the device sit for long stretches after rebooting before touching any controls (in case it's still sorting and indexing). Do I need to reformat the micro SD, load all the music again, and start fresh? The very first time I booted the player after putting music on the card I may not have let the indexing proceed long enough.

BTW, I currently have a mixture of FLAC and WAV, mostly 44.1/16 but some high res files also. The firmware is 1.2.7.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #11,246 of 13,503
I would like to see Google Play/Market remove from system. I bought the DX100 to listen to music not to run other apps. If I wanted that I would just get the latest and greatest smart phone and have all the apps I want and a slim, easy to carry unit with less quality sound than the DX100. Let's face it when player came out the version of android was already 18 months old. Everybody thinks that it has Android should do everything an android device does but it was not designed to do that. I was designed play almost anything you can throw at it in a portable package.
just my 2 cents.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #11,247 of 13,503
Quote:
I think 1.1.7 may have been the most neutral sounding of them all and in that very enjoyable still. It was enough so to make me wonder when switching between the firmwares and listening to my MDR-7550s. Although ended up liking 1.2.7 as well.

I liked 1.1.7 pretty well too and that's what was loaded on the DX100 when I got it.  1.2.7 had a little better bass and imaging to my ears so that was enough not to roll back.  1.3.5 just seemed off to me although certain aspects of the sound seemed improved so I can understand if people prefer it depending on ears/equipment/preferences.  After a week I went back to 1.2.7. 

It would be nice if the next firmware release can maintain or improve the sound while improving functionality, but at least if I can keep using 1.2.7, warts and all, that'll be good.

On a side note, I doubt it's technically feasible now but it sure would be great to run the DX100 for at least 15-20 hours on one charge.  That way I could go 2-3 days between charges instead of every night.  I guess we're just waiting for new battery technology.

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #11,248 of 13,503
Is there anything that can be done to speed up the media scan process.  I have my music spread across several 64GB microSD and the fastest available time I have come across from inserting the card to actually being able to play anything is 7 mins. but on the ones that are filled about 70% and more they take about 10-12 mins. I think this is too long and kills the mood.

I have also attaching card readers through USB OTG and have not noticed much of an increase, but damn does it suck more juice from the DX100. 

iBasso should at least allow play through the directory if we do not want to wait for the media scan, much like the 801 and AK100.

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #11,249 of 13,503
Quote:
I've had the O2 paired with my DX100 for a few days, and it's indeed a great combination. I've had some suggestions to try the Tralucent T1 amp as well as the iFi iCAN amplifier. The iCAN has a unique "3D" switch that sounds intriguing; I'm a sucker for a deep, wide soundstage. However, I really like the O2's footprint along with it's ability to power the LCD-2 effortlessly; it fits neatly beneath the DX100 with a very short IC cable and makes a great transportable package.

I'm still getting used to the quirks of the DX100, so bear with me... why does the unit only display some album art and not others? All the graphics are named "folder.jpg" but only about 1/3 of them will show when I play music from their respective album folders. I have tried resetting the DX100 multiple times, and have let the device sit for long stretches after rebooting before touching any controls (in case it's still sorting and indexing). Do I need to reformat the micro SD, load all the music again, and start fresh? The very first time I booted the player after putting music on the card I may not have let the indexing proceed long enough.

BTW, I currently have a mixture of FLAC and WAV, mostly 44.1/16 but some high res files also. The firmware is 1.2.7.

Paired mine with the Portaphile 627 - bigger soundstage, more powerful (powers HE6) against DX100's internal amp 

As for WAV, you can't (I think) attach album art. also, DX100 cannot read the folder.jpg format.. I tried it before, thus, I suggest just use an album cover downloader app or use uncompressed flac for those  :)
As for FLAC, there's a guide by lee730 using mp3tag to fix the tags. also, use Drivesort after to fix the potential play sequence.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #11,250 of 13,503
Quote:
Is there anything that can be done to speed up the media scan process.  I have my music spread across several 64GB microSD and the fastest available time I have come across from inserting the card to actually being able to play anything is 7 mins. but on the ones that are filled about 70% and more they take about 10-12 mins. I think this is too long and kills the mood.

I have also attaching card readers through USB OTG and have not noticed much of an increase, but damn does it suck more juice from the DX100. 

iBasso should at least allow play through the directory if we do not want to wait for the media scan, much like the 801 and AK100.

My unit use to take up to 15 minutes to index on the initial start up. Then after that it would take less than a minute. I think the DX100 would also keep track of the indexing on the cards so swapping them out the indexing wouldn't be as long as the initial indexing. I'm not sure if that has changed on the updated firmware or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back