iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Dec 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #9,511 of 13,503
Quote:

Loved this post! 
beerchug.gif

As did i

Best sarcasm in a while ,and rightfully so

Well put mate

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #9,515 of 13,503
Dec 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #9,516 of 13,503
I'm the happy new owner of a DX100. Got a couple of initial questions:

1. Can the "pop" sound on powering on damage my SM3 IEMs? Or can I just wait until after the unit powers on to put the IEMs on? Any other reason to unplug the IEMs when powering on or off?

2. Does the rooting procedure described in the FAQs improve SQ much or mainly responsiveness of the interface?

Thanks, Ben

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #9,517 of 13,503
Ben,

There has been a lot of talk about the pop, whether in this thread or in other amplifier threads. To be safe, keep your ears and phones unplugged when the pop hits. If not your earphones, power surges like that can really hurt your ears.

I've not rooted the DX100 but may soon. From what I understand, it is the responsiveness that is dramatically improved.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #9,518 of 13,503
Improves responsiveness of the unit (rooting process).  Basically it's all to get Titanium backup installed so you can freeze unnecessary processes.  As a side note that I'd like to add, I know Soren said in the guide he freezes the stock launcher and warns that you should have another launcher installed before doing this.  This is the one thing I advise people not to do.  Reason being I've been playing with android devices for a couple years now flashing roms regularly to different devices....you should always keep the stock launcher as a fail safe just in case something happens to the new launcher you're running (corruption or some kind of bug that you can't recover from).  You can always just choose the new launcher as the default and lose nothing in performance as it already knows to use your new launcher as the default startup method.  Just wanted to throw that in there since I've had systems not boot due to launcher issues and not having a "backup" launcher.

In regards to the pops, I have not noticed 1 loud pop playing music on the DX100 with my IEM's.  Like the OP suggested, I put in a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter (one that comes with westone iem) into the 6.3mm output and just plug in my IEM after the startup process finishes and unplugging before shutdown.  Only sounds I've heard while plugging in are little blips typical of when you plug headphones into a live output.  Really a great unit.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #9,519 of 13,503
Quote:
Good comprehensive review!
But, in all fairness, my 901 is much lighter, and fits in a pocket far more easily than the DX - you almost don't even know it's there.

You do raise a valid point. I must also say, the 901 had ZERO issues with laggy ui. Not once did I have to wait for it to keep up. Totally noise-free as well. But no true scotsman audiophile will value anything over sound quality, so the DX still wins.
Quote:
Improves responsiveness of the unit (rooting process).  Basically it's all to get Titanium backup installed so you can freeze unnecessary processes.  As a side note that I'd like to add, I know Soren said in the guide he freezes the stock launcher and warns that you should have another launcher installed before doing this.  This is the one thing I advise people not to do.  Reason being I've been playing with android devices for a couple years now flashing roms regularly to different devices....you should always keep the stock launcher as a fail safe just in case something happens to the new launcher you're running (corruption or some kind of bug that you can't recover from).  You can always just choose the new launcher as the default and lose nothing in performance as it already knows to use your new launcher as the default startup method.  Just wanted to throw that in there since I've had systems not boot due to launcher issues and not having a "backup" launcher.

In regards to the pops, I have not noticed 1 loud pop playing music on the DX100 with my IEM's.  Like the OP suggested, I put in a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter (one that comes with westone iem) into the 6.3mm output and just plug in my IEM after the startup process finishes and unplugging before shutdown.  Only sounds I've heard while plugging in are little blips typical of when you plug headphones into a live output.  Really a great unit.

Agreed. Do not uninstall the stock launcher, that's like taking the steering wheel out of your car and hoping you always remember to bring a new one. Just don't. I'll update the FAQ pronto.

Regarding the connectors, I remember someone posting a lovely ultra-low profile 6.3mm -> 3.5mm adapter but for the life of me I can't find it?

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #9,520 of 13,503
Another app for you guys to try on your DX100: Mr. Nice guy

It requires root as it digs deep down into the Linux bowels of Android and prioritizes the processes. I've used it to set the music player to high priority, meaning other apps and services (like the Play Store) will have to make do with whatever CPU cycles and ram the music player isn't using. This should minimize pops and clicks while maximizing performance. I'd love it if a few of you guys with rooted DX's could give it a spin and report your findings.

Explanation for the name of the app: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_(Unix) (Nerdy Pun Warning)

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #9,521 of 13,503
Quote:
You do raise a valid point. I must also say, the 901 had ZERO issues with laggy ui. Not once did I have to wait for it to keep up. Totally noise-free as well. But no true scotsman audiophile will value anything over sound quality, so the DX still wins.
Agreed. Do not uninstall the stock launcher, that's like taking the steering wheel out of your car and hoping you always remember to bring a new one. Just don't. I'll update the FAQ pronto.

Regarding the connectors, I remember someone posting a lovely ultra-low profile 6.3mm -> 3.5mm adapter but for the life of me I can't find it?

Yep I agree although I was dumb a couple times and accidentally erased it without having the new launcher in place. There are 2 forms of saving grace here. 1. You can still plug the DX100 to your PC as it is detected via USB regardless if you have the launcher or not. This way you can reload the firmware and problem solved. 2. You can use the emergency system restore feature which is inherent to Android products. Believe me I've done some pretty stupid things and could not brick this unit (not that I was trying lol). Just putting it out there just follow Sorensiims directions and you're safe. Even if you fail you still have back up options. Basically I only ran into these issues when getting brave and experimenting on removing extra processes not recommended in Sorens guide. I managed to get it noticeably cleaner still and I'm satisfied at what I have it at so far. :).

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #9,522 of 13,503
Quote:

It requires root as it digs deep down into the Linux bowels of Android and prioritizes the processes. I've used it to set the music player to high priority, meaning other apps and services (like the Play Store) will have to make do with whatever CPU cycles and ram the music player isn't using. This should minimize pops and clicks while maximizing performance. I'd love it if a few of you guys with rooted DX's could give it a spin and report your findings.

Explanation for the name of the app: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_(Unix) (Nerdy Pun Warning)

I'll give it a spin. Would be nice if things got even cleaner :).

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #9,523 of 13,503
Quote:

This one came with a pair of UE900 which is better than a lot that comes free with different IEMs but I remember seeing one which was even lower in profile too....

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #9,524 of 13,503
I use the same thing. It's been plugged into the DX100 since I got it. Still I find my IEMs sound different through the 6.3 compared to the 3.5. The 6.3 has a more distant sound. Bigger sound staging. But placement is better with it. Yet I still prefer the 3.5 for its more intimate and more musical nature. The presentation is lower on the 3.5 while on the 6.3 the presentation is slightly higher up. Hard to explain it but ABing them it is quite obvious to my ears.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #9,525 of 13,503
Quote:

Ooh...a new toy to tinker with!  I'll try it.  Just bought it...will report back after playing for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back