iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Dec 4, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #9,391 of 13,503
Rooting allows you to get admin rights so you can install Titanium back up. This way you can back up the OS and freeze unnecessary processes that are native to android. This will further improve the speed and performance of the DX100. Not necessary but something I found worthwhile. I also recommend if you do decide to get the DX100 consider upgrading your IEMs to even higher end ones. I know the SM3s are good IEMs but the DX100 is capable of more I feel.

1. Is there a guide to rooting the DX100 to kill extraneous processes?

2. What IEMs would be on your short list?

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #9,392 of 13,503
Quote:

1) Yep, right here in the FAQ: http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx100-faq
2) Depends on what kind of sound you're after. Customs or universals?

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #9,393 of 13,503
I use fit ear tg!334's but use whatever you like. The great thing about the dx100 is it sounds great and can drive 99% of headphones out there. You don't have to worry about your source, just kick back and enjoy music. If you can be happy with your headphones, let it be and enjoy.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #9,394 of 13,503
Quote:

Soren has you covered for 1. For 2. have a look into Tralucent 1Plus2, Fit Ear 334, AKG3003, or Customs IEM such as Heir (25% discount now). There are many other Custom IEM comanies as well but I figure these are some good choices to keep in mind.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/new-custom-iem-company-tralucent-audio

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597146/fitear-to-go-334-suyamas-custom-iem-made-universal

http://www.head-fi.org/t/554628/akg-k3003-high-end-3-way-system-headphone

http://www.head-fi.org/t/554628/akg-k3003-high-end-3-way-system-headphone

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #9,395 of 13,503
Hello, I've been checking the thread regularly but have't had much to say. I have a question now. Does anyone know if it's ok to change the gain setting while playing music? Something has stopped me froim doing so, I'd like to know if it's nonse or what.
Thanks!

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #9,397 of 13,503
The gain setting does not affect anything except the amp output stage.

It is like in pro-amps that have a gain setting, It is ok to change gain settings to while music is playing. Somtime that is the best way to set gain :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #9,399 of 13,503
Quote:
1) Yep, right here in the FAQ: http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx100-faq
2) Depends on what kind of sound you're after. Customs or universals?

I only just got the SM3s so will probably stick with them for a year.  I would want customs eventually however.  You can upgrade the SM3s to custom yeah?  Would that involve going to an audiologist and sending your SM3s back to Ear Sonics with the mould?  Would this kind of upgrade be substantial/good value for money?

I'm also going to paste my previous questions again here as they got buried in the thread before.

Hi all...I'm considering buying a used DX100. Almost my entire library is lossless 16bit/44.1kHz. Most of my listening is alternative rock (for want of a better term eg a lot of Radiohead) and some electronic (not dance, but for example The Knife, Fever Ray, the Notwist, Ulrich Schnauss). Also 50% of my listening is LIVE recordings (good quality audience bootlegs or soundboards) of the same music.

I have SM3s. Only for portable use, not transportable or desktop.

I can't audition the iBasso or the F series Sony's in Australia so looking for some guidance.

1. Is the DX100 likely to suit me more than any other standalone DAP?

2. I've also got an iPhone and iPod. Is there any PORTABLE (not transportable or desktop) DAC/amp combo around the USD 600 mark for iDevices that would beat (not match, because I would prefer the one box solution) the DX100.

Thanks, Ben

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #9,400 of 13,503
Quote:
I only just got the SM3s so will probably stick with them for a year.  I would want customs eventually however.  You can upgrade the SM3s to custom yeah?  Would that involve going to an audiologist and sending your SM3s back to Ear Sonics with the mould?  Would this kind of upgrade be substantial/good value for money?

I'm also going to paste my previous questions again here as they got buried in the thread before.

Hi all...I'm considering buying a used DX100. Almost my entire library is lossless 16bit/44.1kHz. Most of my listening is alternative rock (for want of a better term eg a lot of Radiohead) and some electronic (not dance, but for example The Knife, Fever Ray, the Notwist, Ulrich Schnauss). Also 50% of my listening is LIVE recordings (good quality audience bootlegs or soundboards) of the same music.

I can't audition the iBasso or the F series Sony's in Australia so looking for some guidance.

2. I've also got an iPhone and iPod. Is there any PORTABLE (not transportable or desktop) DAC/amp combo around the USD 600 mark for iDevices that would beat (not match, because I would prefer the one box solution) the DX100.

Thanks, Ben

and our reply would be...
Go for it, DX100 is suitable for every kind of genre.
For your earphones, DX100 is capable for more, but you can always upgrade your earphone/headphone anytime.
For your choice iphone + dac/amp... DX100 will do better even if you add a dac/amp within that 600usd

you might want to hear opinion from others :D

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #9,401 of 13,503
Quote:

Thanks, Ben

Remolding your UM3X to customs will give you much better comfort but only a slight sonic improvement from the better fit. And yes, it will involve an audiologist and you will want to find a GOOD one, not a cheap one. Going all in with nice customs and a DX100 can give you a sound equal to (or better than!) than even the top end full size rigs and cans. 

Grab a DX100 now, and you're done worrying about your source. Then you can focus on trying a zillion different headphones until you've zeroed in on exactly what you want. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #9,402 of 13,503
Dang it, I'm having Wifi issues... It simply won't turn on. Reloading the firmware doesn't help either. Might try doing a full reload using the tool, hoping I won't have to return my DX100. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #9,404 of 13,503
Dang it, I'm having Wifi issues... It simply won't turn on. Reloading the firmware doesn't help either. Might try doing a full reload using the tool, hoping I won't have to return my DX100.

what you meant by turning on is it cant detect any network? I had a problem before my dx100 can't detect any network but I got lucky when I went to a friend's house and got a connection

apparently, the dx100's cannot detect channel hopping/ multichannel router ( sorry not sure what's the term for it) so I manually set my home router to a fixed channel, channel 6 to be exact. I think it should work with any channel below 11. I havent experimented with other channels though.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #9,405 of 13,503
Quote:
Didn't you have this issue earlier?

Yeah it's been coming and going, now it seems like it's here to stay 
frown.gif

Quote:
what you meant by turning on is it cant detect any network? I had a problem before my dx100 can't detect any network but I got lucky when I went to a friend's house and got a connection
apparently, the dx100's cannot detect channel hopping/ multichannel router ( sorry not sure what's the term for it) so I manually set my home router to a fixed channel, channel 6 to be exact. I think it should work with any channel below 11. I havent experimented with other channels though.

Nope, I get an error when I try to turn it on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back