iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Nov 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #9,016 of 13,503
Quote:
I think I must also join in with this cup of tea to celebrate this potentially great news. Makes me even more keen to get mine before Christmas.

Indeed. I've just replied to them asking them to confirm whether "some companies" means "any" or only a select few chosen by them. If they intend to make the API open source, all DX100 owners will benefit. If they are just going to contract the firmware work out, that's still great news in itself but not as exciting or as limitless in my opinion. Open source means more options and flexibility.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #9,017 of 13,503
Gentlemen (and ladies, if there are any on this thread), I bear great news!

I'd like to thank everyone who was willing to donate towards figgies DX100 debug unit. I just heard back from iBasso and their response is tremendous. Their dedication to their customers makes me giddy with glee. Fang could learn a thing or two.

As far as my opinion is concerned, the DX100's potential to be the ultimate audiophile DAP has just exploded. Please read the reply they sent me to see what I mean.

--------------------------------------------------

"Dear Jan,
Thank you for your email first.
We can provide Figgie an absolutely free unit if all you guys consider this is necessary.

Before sending Figgie a DX100, I have to tell the following first. The difficulty for developing the 24/192 playback software isnt the ESS driver.  Android OS use Audioflinger, which only can produce 16/44.1.  We have our own API for the DX100's music player to achieve 24/192 playback.  We are planning to open this API to some software companies in the near future to develop third party players for the DX100. Before Figgie get those API, I think it is a tough task to develop a 24/192 playback software for the DX100.

Anyway, we will contact Figgie and send him a free DX100.  Also, we will contact Figgie when we are ready to provide the API.

Best Regards,
iBasso Audio"

Open source firmware! I'm unaware of the exact technical hardware and software limitations but my imagination wanders to a potential Rockbox port for the DX100! Or Android 4.0 development! Or a boot directly to the music player foregoing the majority of Android processes and burdens to improve battery life and response times!

The niggly little details that bother us about the current firmware can all be fixed at a faster rate if the open source community is in on the development.

I am going to pour myself a drink as I feel that this is a victory. Figgie, please enjoy your DX100.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #9,018 of 13,503

I'd like to thank everyone who was willing to donate towards figgies DX100 debug unit. I just heard back from iBasso and their response is tremendous. Their dedication to their customers makes me giddy with glee. Fang could learn a thing or two.

As far as my opinion is concerned, the DX100's potential to be the ultimate audiophile DAP has just exploded. Please read the reply they sent me to see what I mean.

"Dear Jan,
We can provide Figgie an absolutely free unit if all you guys consider this is necessary.

Before sending Figgie a DX100, I have to tell the following first. The difficulty for developing the 24/192 playback software isnt the ESS driver.  Android OS use Audioflinger, which only can produce 16/44.1.  We have our own API for the DX100's music player to achieve 24/192 playback.  We are planning to open this API to some software companies in the near future to develop third party players for the DX100. Before Figgie get those API, I think it is a tough task to develop a 24/192 playback software for the DX100.

Anyway, we will contact Figgie and send him a free DX100.  Also, we will contact Figgie when we are ready to provide the API.

Best Regards,
iBasso Audio"

Open source firmware! I'm unaware of the exact technical hardware and software limitations but my imagination wanders to a potential Rockbox port for the DX100! Or Android 4.0 development! Or a boot directly to the music player foregoing the majority of Android processes and burdens to improve battery life and response times!

The niggly little details that bother us about the current firmware can all be fixed at a faster rate if the open source community is in on the development.

I am going to pour myself a drink as I feel that this is a victory. Figgie, please enjoy your DX100.

The genie is out.....I can't imagine the possibilities...Poweramp supporting DX100's 192/24, Natively, will be all what I need!!!

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #9,019 of 13,503
Hell YES!!!! This are just damn great news! CELEBRATE!! :)

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #9,020 of 13,503

"Dear Jan,

Best Regards,
iBasso Audio"

TN, mate, you are a freakin legend, 'on ya!

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #9,024 of 13,503
very_evil_smiley.gif
 great news~

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #9,025 of 13,503
Quote:
And to think being a rather impatient soul I nearly went for a used HM-801 rather than wait for the latest batch to reach the UK which should only be a few more days.

I feel sorry for you. I used to have a HM-801. It sounded pretty nice, euphonic and musical. But the impedance was ridiculously stupid, the analog pot made it hard to drive my IEM without channel imbalance at listenable levels and it ended up bricking itself randomly. A pretty fatal design flaw, imo. I've been over the moon with my DX100 and it's only going to get better. Can't wait to see how much more sound quality they can squeeze out of that thing with firmware updates...

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #9,026 of 13,503
Quote:

I feel sorry for you. I used to have a HM-801. It sounded pretty nice, euphonic and musical. But the impedance was ridiculously stupid, the analog pot made it hard to drive my IEM without channel imbalance at listenable levels and it ended up bricking itself randomly. A pretty fatal design flaw, imo. I've been over the moon with my DX100 and it's only going to get better. Can't wait to see how much more sound quality they can squeeze out of that thing with firmware updates...

Oh, and my DX100 drives EVERYTHING. From super efficient Fit Ear IEM's to LCD-2's to Thunderpants to 250ohm DT770's.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #9,028 of 13,503
Quote:

"Dear Jan,

Best Regards,
iBasso Audio"

Wow! ibasso really has my respect now. I'm not planning on going anywhere. I can very well see this player as being the Standard for "the Audiophile DAP" and it is very near that point now.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #9,029 of 13,503
Quote:

Indeed. I've just replied to them asking them to confirm whether "some companies" means "any" or only a select few chosen by them. If they intend to make the API open source, all DX100 owners will benefit. If they are just going to contract the firmware work out, that's still great news in itself but not as exciting or as limitless in my opinion. Open source means more options and flexibility.

Imagine that in the hands of rockbox :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back