iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Nov 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #8,881 of 13,503
Guys? Hey guys! Shut up! I need to share this!

We all agree that the 1.2.7 firmware is the best one yet, right? How the soundstage and micro detail is improved along with better bass? I've tried "rediscovering" my music a few times during my audiophile jurney, but this is the first time I've experienced the phenomenon because of a software update. This is ridiculous. 

(Click the pic for 24/192 source)
The soundscape, the strings, the horns and the vocals... Everything just comes together so immensely beautiful on the DX100 (1.2.7) with my Heir 8.A. Ok, so thats a $2000++ rig feeding me Hans Zimmer in 24/192 but it is just... so good. So good. Buy that album, play it on your DX100. You won't be sorry, trust me.

The only downside I can think of right now is how stupidly good the HE-500 sounds with the Alo Rx Mk IIIb when fed from the DX100 - and it was with the 1.2.3 firmware I tried that combo!! Now I want sell my kidney (again) or tell my family that November is Ramen Month. Because daddy needs an Alo Rx mk IIIb and the HE-500.

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #8,882 of 13,503
I got off the bus at 1.1.7 and watched the 1.2.3 fun... so maybe its time to get back on at 1.2.7

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #8,883 of 13,503
Quote:
I got off the bus at 1.1.7 and watched the 1.2.3 fun... so maybe its time to get back on at 1.2.7

You bet your [insert valuable stuff here] it is. Best firmware yet, no matter how you look at it. Best features, least bugs, best sound.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #8,885 of 13,503
Quote:
Sorensiim
Great recommendation. I have had the Dark Knight Rises OST in 24/192 for a few months now and it is a fabulous album.

I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. I'll be sure to give it a shot.
redface.gif

I was actually trying to justify selling off my UHA6 MKII but I just can't. Now I'm back on Op-Amp 627AP and man is it amazing on the DX100. I can imagine how the R-10 sounds with its 627 Op Amp. It's just so musical and easy to listen to. From the bass to mids and treble. It's all there and they all compliment each other so well. They all make each other that much more noticeable instead of overshadowing one another or stealing the show lol (not saying the DX100 has this flaw though, just the improved musicality is very noticeable :p). If I had to sum it up in one word it would be silky-smooth. So much so that you can easily listen at dangerous volume levels so I gotta watch that lol :).

@Sorensiim I concur, listening to 24/192 or 24/96 on the DX100 is very much worth it now since the update. I mean there was a slight benefit of using such files on the go before but honestly it couldn't match the resolving power of my desktop rig. That's not the case anymore and I can see carrying such large files on the go as a viable option worth it's weight.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #8,886 of 13,503
Quote:
Sorensiim
Great recommendation. I have had the Dark Knight Rises OST in 24/192 for a few months now and it is a fabulous album.

I bought it the second it hit HDtracks but this is the first time I've heard it on the 1.2.7 firmware... Great stuff!

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #8,887 of 13,503
Hello guys,
I have recently asked for a DX100 fixing tool from the CS of iBasso in China.
Link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/qus1nipim4sl0zf/DX100fixingtool.rar
Extract it, and you will find a manual written in English inside the folder. 
Well... I personally don't find it useful (as it works similar to hard reset + reinstallation of the update.imo file)... but anyway, just a sharing. Take it if you find it useful. 

----Edited:-------
Well I have actually found that it is actually a software called "Rockchip Batch Tool" (You can google it. Rockchip is the CPU DX100 is using). 
You may see : http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?632-Flashing-Firmware-Image-Files-Using-The-Rockchip-Batch-Tool
It can directly flashes the update image into the machine according to what the link said. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #8,889 of 13,503
Wow, indeed Sorenslim, remarkable recording... BTW I am the guy being new on this forum. Traveling a lot over the air, mainly long trips to Asia here from Europe. Meaning lots of listening on long trips. One(!) of the reasons for getting a DX100. Currently I am using a sound canceling headphone from Bose. Ideal, getting rid of the noise, soundwise not the best with my high-resfiles even though compact in traveling as no extra amp is needed. Your 'review' triggers me to look to an alternative for other 'musical occasions', audiophile as I am. Question on cables: with what cable did you connect the units? And more important: what cable do you advise between Rx MK3-B and HE-500. Is balanced to be advised, or doesn't it make sense as link is single between the DX100 and Rx MK3-B?

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #8,890 of 13,503
Quote:
Wow, indeed Sorenslim, remarkable recording... BTW I am the guy being new on this forum. Traveling a lot over the air, mainly long trips to Asia here from Europe. Meaning lots of listening on long trips. One(!) of the reasons for getting a DX100. Currently I am using a sound canceling headphone from Bose. Ideal, getting rid of the noise, soundwise not the best with my high-resfiles even though compact in traveling as no extra amp is needed. Your 'review' triggers me to look to an alternative for other 'musical occasions', audiophile as I am. Question on cables: with what cable did you connect the units? And more important: what cable do you advise between Rx MK3-B and HE-500. Is balanced to be advised, or doesn't it make sense as link is single between the DX100 and Rx MK3-B?

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

I tried the Rx Mk3-B with a balanced TWAG cable to the HE-500- great stuff! For traveling, you might want to look into a nice set of IEMs... They'll block out more sound than NC fullsize cans while sounding better 
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #8,891 of 13,503
Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

I tried the Rx Mk3-B with a balanced TWAG cable to the HE-500- great stuff! For traveling, you might want to look into a nice set of IEMs... They'll block out more sound than NC fullsize cans while sounding better 
wink.gif

Thanks! And yes this wallet... but, as I travel a lot to Hong Kong I can 'save' some, as common European VAT is mostly +20% I will check check your cable advise and indeed IEMs, perhaps next to an open air HE-500. Pffff, there we go again.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #8,892 of 13,503
Quote:
Thanks! And yes this wallet... but, as I travel a lot to Hong Kong I can 'save' some, as common European VAT is mostly +20% I will check check your cable advise and indeed IEMs, perhaps next to an open air HE-500. Pffff, there we go again.

I live in Denmark... 25% VAT is how we roll 
blink.gif

The HE-500 sounds great straight from the DX100 as well, the Alo just gives them that little extra breath of "life". Where in the EU are you located?

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #8,893 of 13,503
Right now I'm using my dx100 as a source for my schiit lyr/bifrost combo together with my he500/he400 cans. Need to upgrade to 1.2.7 and see if there is a huge impact. Still can't decide if ill buy a portable amp for my dx100 to use with my Merlin's.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #8,894 of 13,503
Quote:
Right now I'm using my dx100 as a source for my schiit lyr/bifrost combo together with my he500/he400 cans. Need to upgrade to 1.2.7 and see if there is a huge impact. Still can't decide if ill buy a portable amp for my dx100 to use with my Merlin's.

No need to amp the Merlins when running them from the DX100 - I used to have them 
smile.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #8,895 of 13,503
Good to know that. It will be 1 less gadget and less expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back