iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jul 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #6,843 of 13,503
Quote:

Anyway, on the real, DX100 owners. On a pure usability level, where are we at now? (presume your tracks are shown correctly and play in order if you had this problem which the awesome figgie has fixed), can you zip around easily between albums, artists etc? Are you happy?

Last night I was about to get an N8 + UHA-6S MKII but... I just don't want a stack, cables poking out and around - I just want something I can throw in my pocket on the train/tube.

No, not happy with the software at all. So many bugs (even fresh stock software loaded). I'm not looking for apple polished, but basic things should be addressed.

The sound is great, the usability is really too rough this far in the game for iBasso.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #6,845 of 13,503
Quote:
No, not happy with the software at all. So many bugs (even fresh stock software loaded). I'm not looking for apple polished, but basic things should be addressed.

The sound is great, the usability is really too rough this far in the game for iBasso.

that being said, the other "+" a can say is that I never expected the DX100 to run my LCD2's with any authority. I was wrong, it actually does a moderately decent job (even at my headsplitting volumes). IT distorts much lower volume then I'd like BUT it sounds pretty good for a portable built in amp.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #6,846 of 13,503
About the firmware, actually I am quite happy for it right now. A few problems still occur, namely no flac album arts (don't care), pop sounds when screen went to sleep/wake up (a little disturbing, but is ok as I won't turn on the screen often), and lag when system first boot up (just need to wait around ~1mins to use it after power on)

For the ordering, it is not an issue for me as I always listen to my tracks in shuffle mode 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #6,848 of 13,503
Quote:
that being said, the other "+" a can say is that I never expected the DX100 to run my LCD2's with any authority. I was wrong, it actually does a moderately decent job (even at my headsplitting volumes). IT distorts much lower volume then I'd like BUT it sounds pretty good for a portable built in amp.

The fact that the tracks don't play in order (not sorting by filename or tag) bugs the hell out of me, the missing artwork is a minor annoyance. Once the music starts playing, all is forgiven. Especially because I've tried the HifiMAN and Colorfly top dogs and the DX100 is lightyears beyond them when it comes to usability and supported formats. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #6,849 of 13,503
My Heir 8.As arrived today... Listening to them right now, straight from the DX100 is jawdroppingly good. The bottom end goes deeeeeep and has a weighty slam, much like my UM Merlins. Midrange is detailed and has great depth but maintains an effortless smoothness. The treble just keeps going - again, effortlessly. Keeps extending and sparkling without ever getting sibilant or piercing.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #6,850 of 13,503
Quote:
The fact that the tracks don't play in order (not sorting by filename or tag) bugs the hell out of me, the missing artwork is a minor annoyance. Once the music starts playing, all is forgiven. Especially because I've tried the HifiMAN and Colorfly top dogs and the DX100 is lightyears beyond them when it comes to usability and supported formats. 

Soreensiim

quick question

do you have File expert or other file management application loaded on the DX100?

If so, does that read ok?

I still don't get the _ to [space] conversion. That is absolutely crazy. Where you the one that stated about FLAC not showing artwork? You already did the firmware that was posted here no (Not to be confused with the 1.1.7 update that was posted on iBasso's website)?

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #6,851 of 13,503
Quote:
You already did the firmware that was posted here no (Not to be confused with the 1.1.7 update that was posted on iBasso's website)?

The firmware posted here installs the 1.1.7 update from the website - the software is just the wipe / install utility

In terms of the underscore / space thing, here's my observation in the last 24 hours.

1. In the Music player UI the underscore is replaced with space
  2. In the detailed music player that shows time of song, time remaining, file name, bitrate, etc the underscores remain
  3. In the 'Albums' menu from the 'mini' player UI the spaces are shown
  4. In the Directory menu from the same mini player UI underscores show (which you would expect as it's a directory structure viewer)

In terms of sort order:

1. Main music player - reversed
  2. Album menu in mini player - correct - but still replaces the file numbering with the iBasso three digit numbers, but this time track 1 gets 001
  3. Directory structure - correct

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #6,852 of 13,503
I tend to play albums all the way through, in order - e.g. search by artist, pick album, play through from start to finish. Is this going to be an issue? 

My old S:Flo2 was usable only when using a windows program to force the files into alphabetical order and then browsing by directory... but the touch screen sucked which made it hard to use.

The screen on this looks responsive enough, but it seems the curse of the Rockchip strikes again in terms of sorting stuff. I don't care about what method I have to use, but can I just play an album in the correct order? I'd be okay with fixing file names etc.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #6,853 of 13,503
Quote:
I tend to play albums all the way through, in order - e.g. search by artist, pick album, play through from start to finish. Is this going to be an issue? 

My old S:Flo2 was usable only when using a windows program to force the files into alphabetical order and then browsing by directory... but the touch screen sucked which made it hard to use.

The screen on this looks responsive enough, but it seems the curse of the Rockchip strikes again in terms of sorting stuff. I don't care about what method I have to use, but can I just play an album in the correct order? I'd be okay with fixing file names etc.

The answer appears to be yes, and no.

You can play an album (but just one album) in order using the less obvious player interface, but not using the main interface that offers genre, artist, album, etc.  For me those are reversed, regardless of what I do to the file name (although I am going to try a few other things) and for others they seem to sometimes be random.  However, not everyone seems to have the problem.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #6,854 of 13,503
Quote:
Soreensiim

quick question

do you have File expert or other file management application loaded on the DX100?

If so, does that read ok?

I still don't get the _ to [space] conversion. That is absolutely crazy. Where you the one that stated about FLAC not showing artwork? You already did the firmware that was posted here no (Not to be confused with the 1.1.7 update that was posted on iBasso's website)?

No file managers installed at the moment, I'll load Root Explorer tomorrow and see how things are sorted. I'll give the underscores-for-spaces trick a whirl, easy batch job with Mp3tag.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #6,855 of 13,503
Haha, urgh. I'd be fine playing just one album at a time though. The bolded.... depressing. I'd just get an iPod Touch and one of the portable DAC solutions but everyone seems to say that the DX100 slaughters either the CLAS or HP-P1 regardless of which amps they're paired with. Sigh.

Quote:

The answer appears to be yes, and no.

You can play an album (but just one album) in order using the less obvious player interface, but not using the main interface that offers genre, artist, album, etc.  For me those are reversed, regardless of what I do to the file name (although I am going to try a few other things) and for others they seem to sometimes be random.  However, not everyone seems to have the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back