iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #4,561 of 13,503
I wanted to buy a Hifiman and I had the money in my hand when I went to the store but after listening to it the 601 and 602 needed more power and didnt sound that much better then what I already had (this was before I got the Dx100). Then demod the 801 ,which I heard before from my friends unit, and well the stock amp was not that strong and the sound was ok but not much better then what I had. Cant wait for the new Hifiman I will give it a try.

Quote:
Hifiman has long surpassed this player in different aspect, including SQ. Correct myself. Hifiman was around before this dap was launched, so I should say hifiman is still unsurpassed.
DX100 is better than hifiman for using the android UI and has really better quality finishing. No doubts. From the exterior and android UI alone, DX100 is indeed a nice dap to own, compared to the old fashion design of hifiman.
It is also a good player with good details, which is the key strength. But this strength alone is not sufficient to be the best, as hifiman and colorfly each has their better areas than dx100, and SQ is best in a hifiman or colorfly than the DX100 for those areas than different listener desires. For e.g. Hifiman produces more smoothing and organic sound to my ear and is the one which you can listen forever and will not have fatigue but yet is as detailed as DX100. Colorfly is wonderful as well and sounds really good for classical especially.
This is a great situation as it creates a competitive market for more company to create even better products to out perform the current top DAPs. DX100 is priced at similar price as hifiman and colorfly and from the pricing perspective, it should be considered one of the current top DAP, but not because it is the best in SQ unfortunately. At least from my 1 hour audition at the store to buy this, but changed my mind after trying it. SQ is subjective, but I think hifiman is a lot better in SQ to my ear with similar micro details, and colorfly sounds very very good with classical music and better SQ than DX100 in this aspect.
Agree with you though the best few daps are indeed produced by Chinese company, including hifiman.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #4,563 of 13,503
Apr 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #4,565 of 13,503

Quote:
TRansportaBLE though. :^)

I'm with bmiamihk on this one 
tongue.gif

The whole point of the DX100 is to dispense with huge 'TRansportaBLE' rigs...

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #4,566 of 13,503

Quote:
NOT PORTABLE!

If I already had an L3 I could understand using it but to shell out $800 for an amp to put with the DX100.. 
blink.gif

Currawong - I believe you have an L3 - we already know Spkrs thoughts on the L3 and the DX - maybe you could share your findings

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #4,567 of 13,503

Quote:
I'm with bmiamihk on this one 
tongue.gif

The whole point of the DX100 is to dispense with huge 'TRansportaBLE' rigs...

Hey, an F16 is transportable. 

I do love the sound of my fi.Q (and I will compare my special version to Anything on the market) with the DX100 but have to admit, the DX100 by itself is sounding so good I am happy with it as a portable. What is frustrating in an odd way, is that I have a couple of very nice portable dacs I have built up, with high quality components that I have enjoyed over the years and used with the optical out on my iRivers but they are defeated now. . . and that is sad. But hey, I am happy again, I got good sound! 

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #4,569 of 13,503
I did some changes to my lockscreen via Widget Locker. 

I added the powerAmp widget to the lockscreen. The glowing button beside the shuffle button pops up the music library screen so I got all my music player functionality covered. I can change volume, change tracks, change albums all without unlocking the device.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #4,570 of 13,503
The iRiver H100 series transportable rigs are the best transportable rigs especially with the remote, not need to carry a player in your hand to control the player.

I still reach out for the remote these days, out of habit. Lol.
Quote:
Hey, an F16 is transportable. 

I do love the sound of my fi.Q (and I will compare my special version to Anything on the market) with the DX100 but have to admit, the DX100 by itself is sounding so good I am happy with it as a portable. What is frustrating in an odd way, is that I have a couple of very nice portable dacs I have built up, with high quality components that I have enjoyed over the years and used with the optical out on my iRivers but they are defeated now. . . and that is sad. But hey, I am happy again, I got good sound! 

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #4,571 of 13,503
A remote is a great idea but how about the sound coming from the IRiver and does it have enough power?

Quote:
The iRiver H100 series transportable rigs are the best transportable rigs especially with the remote, not need to carry a player in your hand to control the player.

I still reach out for the remote these days, out of habit. Lol.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #4,572 of 13,503
I use mine to feed a 12v dac, still can't seem to get the same separation I get from that rig on the DX100 though, although the DX100 is more detailed.

Hopefully when it is fully burned in, the separation will reach that level.

Quote:
A remote is a great idea but how about the sound coming from the IRiver and does it have enough power?

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #4,573 of 13,503
In my opinion the iRiver H120 series is one of the best DAP ever produced and I really like the toggle remote, which is hard to find but I have two. But, it doesn't have the power nor the bloom to the sound of the DX100. It just doesn't compete. While the power is enough for most phones, you don't have the headroom of the DX100 and shear authority to the sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back