iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #4,126 of 13,503
The es5 at 20ohms maybe has broke through the threshold of hiss on the DX100. Although, the JH 16 is rated at 18 ohm its average is 13 ohm and reason for the hiss. I believe there is no way around it...hiss there will be, just how much. On my Se535 ltd the hiss got better with burn in as with the edgiiess of the trebles....

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #4,127 of 13,503

Quote:
However, even fully burn in, I would imagine traces of hiss will be noticeable on sensitive IEMs.

Quote:
The es5 at 20ohms maybe has broke through the threshold of hiss on the DX100. Although, the JH 16 is rated at 18 ohm its average is 13 ohm and reason for the hiss. I believe there is no way around it...hiss there will be, just how much. On my Se535 ltd the hiss got better with burn in as with the edgiiess of the trebles....

I don't think so.
It is not about the impedance. It is about the input sensitivity. ES5 is 120db/mw. It is one of the most sensitive iems around.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #4,128 of 13,503
today playing dx100 hi res source got the battery down to 15% within 4 hours,

I really need advice for a portable battery for this brick,

Also using the player and charging as well wouldn't we shorten the battery life

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #4,129 of 13,503
I don't think so.
It is not about the impedance. It is about the input sensitivity. ES5 is 120db/mw. It is one of the most sensitive iems around.

It is not about how loud an iem will go per watt, it is about how the amp was set up to drive the impedance of the earphon/ headphone. I believe the DX100 was set up to drive cans, so putting a much lower impedance iem in results in hiss. The amp is producing a lot more watts out put.. the hiss is due to lack of synergy

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #4,130 of 13,503

Quote:
It is not about how loud an iem will go per watt, it is about how the amp was set up to drive the impedance of the earphon/ headphone. I believe the DX100 was set up to drive cans, so putting a much lower impedance iem in results in hiss. The amp is producing a lot more watts out put.. the hiss is due to lack of synergy

I have JVC FXT90 iem rated at 12ohms. No hiss at all on the DX100.

Sensitivity is not only about loudness, but also how well it can pick up noise (which are basically low level details)

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #4,131 of 13,503

Quote:
I have JVC FXT90 iem rated at 12ohms. No hiss at all on the DX100.

Sensitivity is not only about loudness, but also how well it can pick up noise (which are basically low level details)

Am I right in thinking JVC FXT90 is dual-dynamic, not dual-BA?

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #4,133 of 13,503

have you switched everything unnecessary off? Wifi, bluetooth, animations etc?
Quote:
today playing dx100 hi res source got the battery down to 15% within 4 hours,

I really need advice for a portable battery for this brick,

Also using the player and charging as well wouldn't we shorten the battery life

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4,135 of 13,503

Quote:
Am I right in thinking JVC FXT90 is dual-dynamic, not dual-BA?

The example of the FXT90 is a direct reply to spkrs01 that impedance is not the culprit determining whether hisses are audible or not.

It is because of sensitivity. Yes, and the BA are more sensitive than dynamic drivers and that explains why they could pick up hiss better. It is not because of impedance.

I hope that Samuel will be able to get his DX100 sorted out

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #4,136 of 13,503

Quote:
have you switched everything unnecessary off? Wifi, bluetooth, animations etc?

wifi, bluetooth,, auto rotateoff ,
animation couldnt find it

I am using micro sd card, is it one of the reason it drains battery ?
I also set the gain to mid.

using IE80. i do find canns hd280 do drain more battery

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #4,137 of 13,503

Quote:

The example of the FXT90 is a direct reply to spkrs01 that impedance is not the culprit determining whether hisses are audible or not.

It is because of sensitivity. Yes, and the BA are more sensitive than dynamic drivers and that explains why they could pick up hiss better. It is not because of impedance.

I hope that Samuel will be able to get his DX100 sorted out

Wow......

JH16 @ 18ohm but averages 13 ohms 118db/m.watt is a lot more sensitive than ES5 @ 20 ohms @ 119db/m.watt.

JH13 @ 28ohm 119db/m.watt is a lot harder to drive.............

BA drivers, the better they are, the more transparent they are. They transfer electronic artifacts to the ears when listening, that's is why the JH16 have a electronic tizz to the sound. One of the ways to rid this electronic tizz is to design the IEM with a higher Ohm rating. Hence the JH13 being so neutral and lack of any electronic artifacts and maybe the same with your ES5.

Good home amplifiers rated at 100watts @ 8ohms, will be 200watts @ 4ohms, 400 watts @ 2ohms, 800 watts @ 1 ohms  etc etc. If the amplifier section in DX100 is as good as it is touted to be, then they will be providing a lot more power than necessary to low impedance IEMs and hence the hiss. I think it was mentioned in an earlier post by a fellow member that the DX100 adjusted to the individual impedance ratings of different phones and went on to say, the lower the ohm rating the higher the sound levels were without adjusting the volume. This is the result of the example that I gave of home amps.

Horn speakers rated at 120db/watt 16 ohms at home do not hiss if suitably fed by a good 16 ohm tube amp.....attach a top tier SS amp and it will hiss like mad!

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #4,138 of 13,503

Quote:

Wow......

JH16 @ 18ohm but averages 13 ohms 118db/m.watt is a lot more sensitive than ES5 @ 20 ohms @ 119db/m.watt.

JH13 @ 28ohm 119db/m.watt is a lot harder to drive.............

BA drivers, the better they are, the more transparent they are. They transfer electronic artifacts to the ears when listening, that's is why the JH16 have a electronic tizz to the sound. One of the ways to rid this electronic tizz is to design the IEM with a higher Ohm rating. Hence the JH13 being so neutral and lack of any electronic artifacts and maybe the same with your ES5.

Good home amplifiers rated at 100watts @ 8ohms, will be 200watts @ 4ohms, 400 watts @ 2ohms, 800 watts @ 1 ohms  etc etc. If the amplifier section in DX100 is as good as it is touted to be, then they will be providing a lot more power than necessary to low impedance IEMs and hence the hiss. I think it was mentioned in an earlier post by a fellow member that the DX100 adjusted to the individual impedance ratings of different phones and went on to say, the lower the ohm rating the higher the sound levels were without adjusting the volume. This is the result of the example that I gave of home amps.

Horn speakers rated at 120db/watt 16 ohms at home do not hiss if suitably fed by a good 16 ohm tube amp.....attach a top tier SS amp and it will hiss like mad!

So , what you are saying ,SQ wise , JH13 should be better than JH16?

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #4,139 of 13,503

Quote:
So , what you are saying ,SQ wise , JH13 should be better than JH16?

No...not at all, just different sound signatures. I really can only give sound signatures of home systems and the JH16 sounds like the TAD reference 1s and the JH 13 sounds like Magico Q5 both excellent speakers...........

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #4,140 of 13,503

Quote:
No...not at all, just different sound signatures. I really can only give sound signatures of home systems and the JH16 sounds like the TAD reference 1s and the JH 13 sounds like Magico Q5 both excellent speakers...........

Got you, strangely I am watching a movie with my JH16 connected to  DX100! I love silent movies...LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back