iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3,451 of 13,503

Quote:
Strewth, I hope you are, cobber !

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/root

Juvenile Aussie witticism aside, I think jamato8's suggestion re hooking the DX100 up to a good speaker rig is a good one - has anyone done that and what were your impressions ? 

From what I am hearing with my fi.Q and various headphones, I have a feeling my beautiful, custom made, solid rosewood cabinet, dac with custom Audio Note output transformers and multiple power supplies, would have a hard time keeping up. Couple the DX100 line out to a good tube premap (mine) and mono tube amps (mine) and fine speakers and I have the feeling audio nirvana would ensue. :^) But alas, all my gear is in storage and no change of it coming out so I have to suffer with the HE 500, ESW10, LCD-2, JH13 Pros and a few others. Oh, the torture. :^)

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #3,452 of 13,503
I thought I would take a crack at evaluating the Ibasso Dx100 which I received 5 days ago. It's probably got about 40 hours of playtime with a variety of music, so things will definitetly get better with time. When I review a piece of equipment I like to measure it against criteria that I believe will tell me whether or not it is of audiophile quality. These are some of the criteria I use to judge:

• It has high resolution and is able to resolve complex musical passages.
  • It is detailed
  • Bass is full range from top to bottom
  • Strong dynamics
  • Excellent imaging
  • A realistic sound stage
  • Space and air between the instruments
  • Realistic decay
  • The timbre of acoustic instruments must be natural
  • You've become addicted to your music and or you've re discovered it.

In order to give this review some context I've included a few of the songs that I will reference throughout the review; this way you can be an active participant.

“The One” by John McLaughlin is a jazz oriented album with superb musicianship and is very well recorded. On this album I've chosen the 2nd track "special being" because of the delicacy of the interplay between the drummer's hi hat and cymbal work. He plays his hi hat on the beat then off the beat with occasional splashes of the hi hat for accent purposes. This is when you use the heel of your foot to strike the hi hat which creates the splash sound. I can also tell he's using a wood snare drum with a depth of probably 4 inches. This is incredible detail and is not always apparent on other systems, where you would be hard pressed to know if he was playing a brass or wood snare. Cymbal articulation is pin point exacting. The bass on this song is very full; let's be frank these guys are sooo good...nice decay at the end of the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-Brpx6pDE

This next one is a song titled “Real Life' by Phil Woods on his album Real Life (Chesky Recording). All of the instruments are acoustic. This one I have hard time listening to on lessor systems because of the use of brass instruments and the way they can be poorly rendered: alto sax, trumpet, flugelhorn, trombone, baritone and tenor sax. Here I can clearly the hear and see the delineation between the instruments. Brass instruments when played together can sound like one big honking noise, but the Ibasso does a great job of resolving complex passages when the brass instruments are all playing together. The stand up bass is well rendered and I can hear when the bassist's finger nail strike the bass after he hits a note.

This next one is an excerpt from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition featuring a gigantic pipe organ (Dorian recording). This one goes real low and has been known to melt lesser sub woofers if played too loud. There's a beautiful call and response where the spacing and depth is breath taking. Do not play this in front of your young children, this will frighten them.

"When the Music's Over" (Strange Days Electra 96/24 Paul Rothchild production) by the Doors is a nice example of dynamics with Jim's voice rendered in all its glory: front and center with a very, very black background. Between the 6:20 and 6:40 minute mark, the drummer is playing his hi hat while cross sticking the snare drum. You can actually hear him alter the pressure of his foot on the hi hat as the tone changes. This is crazy stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gTpvcSVWFU

On Jeff Beck's Emotion and Commotion with Joss Stone singing“I put a spell on you” you can hear her breathing between notes and the saliva building up in her mouth at the 2:39 minute mark. On “There's no other Me” the Ibasso demonstrates excellent dynamics with the drummer's bass drum beats clearly pressed up against your ear drums.
“You had it Coming” by Jeff Beck featuring Roy's Toy and Dirty Mind just simply rock and you are allowed to get up and dance to “Dirty Mind”, where there's an explosion of energy that takes place at the 2:29 minute mark; again the Ibasso captures this energy nicely.

I put a spell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEomylSgqeY&feature=fvst
There's no other me  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCX71vxVGj0
Roy's Toy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvgExnerp4
Dirty mind w/imogen heap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcb36OSUTzg

I wanted to include many more songs but I thought I should get this out there ASAP. So is the Ibasso DX100 an audiophile player? YES! This is  one impressive all in one player and meets or exceeds my expectations in all areas of sound quality. As I measure what I hear against my criteria I can check mark each and every item.  I can't wait to put more hours on this player as I can imagine I'm in for a real treat.

For this review I used Sennheiser HD 650's and Ears 1964 Quads. Everything is in stock form. The music was ripped to my computer and uploaded to the Ibasso.

As a musician and music lover I want to thank all of you for peaking my passion even more, if that was even possible.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3,453 of 13,503
Have spent a lot more time with the DX100.  I can again confirm that it sounds great...but it is not the equal of my bedside rig (H140-->DB-1-->SR71b).  Prior to full burn in, the DX100 lacks the three-dimensional depth and bass impact of my other system.  However, I have spent more time with it both as a transport in the same system or as a DAC feeding the SR71b single-ended via line-out.  I've been putting the volume at max during lineout use.  It sounds very good in that combination and may be equal in that mode...even though its not fully balanced throughout the signal chain.  I'm very curious how it compares to the H140-->D12, which is my favorite portable combo.  If it beats that out I would call this device a victory.

The one bug that's bothering me most with the stock ibasso player is that roughly 1/3 of my VBR mp3's are showing at incorrect bit rates and incorrect song length.  The DX100 indicates song lengths of thousands of minutes on these and is unable to provide the orange play progress bar.  When skipping ahead in the song, it will actually skip ahead to other tracks which appear to be part of the song length indicated.  It's hard to explain but very obvious when it happens....       

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #3,454 of 13,503

Quote:
Strewth, I hope you are, cobber !

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/root

Juvenile Aussie witticism aside, I think jamato8's suggestion re hooking the DX100 up to a good speaker rig is a good one - has anyone done that and what were your impressions ? 

that would kindle interest.... it would really grab my attention if they had a Roksan M-2 amp, Rega Dac & Kef R-Series speakers.

ps..... you ever tried rooting a 3.5mm Jack hole cobber?..... (English laconic wit) 

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #3,455 of 13,503
Does anyone notice the DX100 getting really warm almost sometimes hot when playing music. Is this normal? You know the top of the player where the charging and usb ports are? This sometimes even happens on my Galaxy Note android phone but only after 1-2 hours of straight use like streaming a video.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #3,457 of 13,503
Yes, everyone's DX100 gets warm during use. That's why many of us have gone off the idea of using cases (except for storage)

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3,458 of 13,503

Quote:
Very noisy!!!!!! Transfers all the way to the amp and the earthing noises are horrendous!!!

I don't even bother listening when it is charging now!!!

It sounds like you have an extremely noisy mains supply. My DX100 sounds just fine when being charged - perhaps you could consider getting a mains filter?

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #3,459 of 13,503

Quote:
Ok one complaint my DX100 with EQ on lasts not more then 4 hrs before the battery dies (4 hrs being very VERY generous could be like 3 hrs).

Hmmm, I got approximately 4 hours today, whilst wandering around town, shopping. That's extremely disappointing - I thought 7 hours was bad enough, but 4 is taking liberties.. Surely the 2nd batch's larger capacitors wouldn't be responsible for this huge difference in battery duration, so I'm left to wonder what could be responsible. 4 Hours is next to useless.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #3,461 of 13,503

Quote:
Hmmm, I got approximately 4 hours today, whilst wandering around town, shopping. That's extremely disappointing - I thought 7 hours was bad enough, but 4 is taking liberties.. Surely the 2nd batch's larger capacitors wouldn't be responsible for this huge difference in battery duration, so I'm left to wonder what could be responsible. 4 Hours is next to useless.

Maybe because you are putting it on standby? I remember someone saying in the first batch that the battery drained a lot even in standby, but i don't know if they fixed this in the second batch or not. I havent really been paying attention to this so im not really sure

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #3,465 of 13,503
I was playing some 24-96 vinyl-rip .flacs, plus some 16-44.1 CD-rip ALAC files.

No EQ being used
No SRC

@bmiamihk: what codec(s) were you playing when you got your stated battery duration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back