iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,291 of 13,503
Got both from Amazon...

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #1,292 of 13,503

Quote:
On another review on the O2, they compare the O2 to the Pico amp and ALO's RXII and says that its hard to tell the difference between the amps.  The comment was suppose to be a compliment on the O2 as the other amps were double the cost of the O2.  As then we have Scooter who thinks the O2 is comparable to the B22.  Can we have some sanity here.  I am not disputing these claims as I have not heard the O2.  But if these claims are even 90% within reason, we should just forget all the other amps and go for the O2.  By the way, I think the SR71b and PB2 in balance mode sound better than the Pico and RXII.  But Scooter thinks the O2 squashed the PB2.  How do we read these impressions?

Quote:

No, that is not a bad question, I have several dacs and amps with me and throughout the two DX100 threads, headfiers have been asking whether the DX100 itself can outperform some of the existing combo setups.  I would like to hear it for myself when my unit gets here.  Also, different amps may give different flavor of sound character to different headphones.  Who knows, I'll find out when it gets here.  It is just a way to play with all the toys that I have.  I hope I am satisfy with just the DX100 as there will be less to carry.

Jalo, any plan to compare the O2 with your amps?

I trust in you.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #1,293 of 13,503
Dan, I really am appreciative of the kind words, but sometimes I don't even know If I could trust myself. I'll try to get an O2 for a listen. I do want to clarify when I commented on Scooter's impression on the O2, I didn't meant to imply that I don't believe what he said, because I believe Peter is a straight forward guy. I was only expressing a "wow" sentiment that a $200.00 amp can even be compared to a $2,000.00 amp. It may be true or it may not. That's for Scooter to know and for me to find out.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #1,294 of 13,503
The O2 does squash the PB2.  I'm pretty confident on that one, and I have a topkit.  Other people's opinions may vary.

I don't mean that the O2 equals the B22, or very close to it.  I do mean it offers a large measure of the listening enjoyment and neutrality.  It doesn't "screw up" the sound the way a lot of amps do, but it does not have the thrilling dynamics of the B22 with all of its brute power.  It does seem to be cut from the same cloth and is an obvious choice if you are on a budget, even up to a $500-1000 budget.  

It is a lot to swallow that the O2 may be vastly better than its $150 price tag lets on.  It doesn't compute at first that the PB2 at more than twice the price, and being balanced, would sound worse.  It's still a very good amp and it's got a nicer case and form factor.  The O2 just performs more on a desktop level.  For those of you that aren't sure what to believe you should test one out since the price is so low.  The DX100 as I've said before does not really need junk attached to it though, its built in amp is nicer sounding than the Pelican in my opinion and nearly as good as the O2 although the O2 does provide a nice additional boost for high-impedance headphones.  

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,295 of 13,503
I hope this has not been discussed yet ( I have went through large chunks of this thread on a few occasions now) but has anyone found the best phone match up for getting a clear screen protector for this yet? Im thinking something with a bigger screen like the droid x or bionic perhaps. Anyone got this figured out yet? 

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,296 of 13,503

Quote:
I hope this has not been discussed yet ( I have went through large chunks of this thread on a few occasions now) but has anyone found the best phone match up for getting a clear screen protector for this yet? Im thinking something with a bigger screen like the droid x or bionic perhaps. Anyone got this figured out yet? 

I was using the ones from my iphone4 and with a minor alteration it fit pretty well. I ended up taking it off though because I thought it was the cause of the "funky" operation of my DX100 (which come to find was not the case) but rather it was due to the defective screen on the unit :p.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,297 of 13,503
The screen on the DX100 is hardened glass. I have found no need to a protector. There are no marks on my screen and I often place it inside my pants pocket etc. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,298 of 13,503
I'm extremely good at breaking things. Like I should go pro. I have scratched a few iPhone screens and they are glass as well. Not only will my dap have a screen protector, it will sleep in a pelican case. I'm a lower middle class construction worker. $700 is too much dough for me to break in 6 months :D

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,299 of 13,503

Quote:
I'm extremely good at breaking things. Like I should go pro. I have scratched a few iPhone screens and they are glass as well. Not only will my dap have a screen protector, it will sleep in a pelican case. I'm a lower middle class construction worker. $700 is too much dough for me to break in 6 months
biggrin.gif

I salute your candour! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,300 of 13,503
I just got delivery of my ps500s and I can tell you I am drooling over my existing iphone and graham slee voyager setup, I tried to get a dx100 but now have to wait until april, APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I want one, I want one bad......................................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

as you were

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,302 of 13,503

Quote:
I don't think it's glass. I managed to scratch the screen and then completely repair the scratch with a plastic scratch remover.

I also don't think it is glass. I had tried pressing it with some force and can feel it bends very slightly. Wish it is using gorilla glass instead.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,303 of 13,503
Gorilla glass also scratches quite nicely, I ended up having to get a screen protector for my J3. I've even managed to get a few scratches on my itouch, which is just plain glass, quite impressive I think :)

Quote:
I also don't think it is glass. I had tried pressing it with some force and can feel it bends very slightly. Wish it is using gorilla glass instead.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,305 of 13,503
People The DX100 uses a micro SD,not an SD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back