iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 24, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,276 of 13,503

Quote:
For every track you select you will need to wait for the download to be completed before it could play. I tried putting in some Mp3 files (128kbps) on my Box account and it took an average of 15s to get each track to play. The loading time will be much longer for lossless.

Also, we will also need to play track by track manually right?

It would depend on your network speed...

I've contacted the developer of Titanium media sync to see if they could add Box support. That would give you seamless file sync over Wifi, always a nice thing to have. Maybe if PowerAmp would support Box playback, then we could really have some fun!

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #1,277 of 13,503
'Right, while I've discovered empirically that the DX100 on its own is the best bet, everyone is going to have to see on their own that the DX100 doesn't benefit from any extra gear clinging to it...hence the cables...'

So during your empirical analysis, how did you find the DX100 compared with the DX100 + JH-3A/JH16, as the JH-3A is a dedicated IEM amp?

Whilst waiting for delivery of the DX100, I can confirm, for any who are interested, that comparison of HM801/Game card, against HM801 + JH-3A shows that the HM801 is thin, lacking depth and detail. The addition of the JH-3A using analogue line out elevates the HM801 to another level.

I have read comparisons between standalone HM801 and DX100 giving the latter a definite edge, but only that, an edge!

If adding the JH-3A to the DX100 has anything like the effect of adding the JH-3A to the HM801 the effect is likely to be stunning. I suspect all those decrying the use of external amps have yet to try the JH-3A with the DX100 (with the exception of the empirical analyst).

For the sake of completeness I also, intermittently, use iPod classic/CLAS/DB2/SR71B/JH13 with Twag balanced cable (interchangeable with HD800 with Twag balanced cable).

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #1,279 of 13,503

Quote:
If we could stream directly from our computer to the DX100, it will be much more stable and faster.

No problem at all. Setup your computer as a DLNA server (I prefer Serviio for that task) and install a DLNA client app on the DX100. Done.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #1,280 of 13,503

Quote:
No problem at all. Setup your computer as a DLNA server (I prefer Serviio for that task) and install a DLNA client app on the DX100. Done.

Yeah but that defeats the point of getting Box for the DX100. From my experience the Box server isn't lightning fast so the lag time will be there. Things may be worse if we are using Wifi at public area.

But if we are at home, then Box will again be pointless because our desktop direct streaming will be faster and more stable (plus it gives us access to all our files in our harddisk)

I will see how my Mac could stream to the DX100 when the time come.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,281 of 13,503

No, that is not a bad question, I have several dacs and amps with me and throughout the two DX100 threads, headfiers have been asking whether the DX100 itself can outperform some of the existing combo setups.  I would like to hear it for myself when my unit gets here.  Also, different amps may give different flavor of sound character to different headphones.  Who knows, I'll find out when it gets here.  It is just a way to play with all the toys that I have.  I hope I am satisfy with just the DX100 as there will be less to carry.

Totally get it. Thank you for the thorough explanation. Unfortunately I picked the wrong time to get into this. Pre order for ibasso + tax refund = hopefully good decisions. I have been on head fi less than 2 weeks and have dropped almost a grand :frowning2:

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,283 of 13,503

Quote:
Totally get it. Thank you for the thorough explanation. Unfortunately I picked the wrong time to get into this. Pre order for ibasso + tax refund = hopefully good decisions. I have been on head fi less than 2 weeks and have dropped almost a grand
frown.gif

I've been on less than a week and I'm over a grand down... oh dear hope my dx100 comes along before the credit card bill...

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,284 of 13,503
Well, if you drop a grand on the Dx100 and accessory, at least it is money well spent and you WILL enjoy what you pay for.  There are many more scary stories on these forums that your money can go to and not see a very well return.  Well, the Ultrasone ED10 came to mind, Skylab and others paid over $2400.00 and only to resell them later later and lost 500 to 600 dollars in a few weeks.  My other friend bought a McIntosh processor for $14,000.00 and sold it a year and a half later for $4000.00.  Welcome to Headfi :wink:

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,285 of 13,503
As I've read this thread from start to finish, I look at it like this:  For every post on this informative thread, I donate 50p to my buy a dx100 fund and now I'm pretty much there, exchange rate permitting...

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,286 of 13,503
Thanks Randall.

Well, if you drop a grand on the Dx100 and accessory, at least it is money well spent and you WILL enjoy what you pay for.  There are many more scary stories on these forums that your money can go to and not see a very well return.  Well, the Ultrasone ED10 came to mind, Skylab and others paid over $2400.00 and only to resell them later later and lost 500 to 600 dollars in a few weeks.  My other friend bought a McIntosh processor for $14,000.00 and sold it a year and a half later for $4000.00.  Welcome to Headfi :wink:

This is why I started asking the questions on the cables. I was like " ohh crap, I thought I bought the ibasso because I didn't need to hook a bunch of stuff up to it to make it sound good!?!?" so I was worried for a second. But there were just too many extremely good reviews on it to pass up. Plus I'm an android junky so it was kind of a no brainer. Can't wait to get my hands on this! :D

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,287 of 13,503
MS. I don't think you will be disappointed with this purchase, cable regardless.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,288 of 13,503
Just got me 64Gb Standisk for the DX100 now I need the DX100.  I also got the Go Flex hard drive Wifi server to try out. If this does not work very well with the iPod Touch it will be going back.  I have read that it is a hit or miss with how it works.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,290 of 13,503

Quote:
Just got me 64Gb Standisk for the DX100 now I need the DX100.  I also got the Go Flex hard drive Wifi server to try out. If this does not work very well with the iPod Touch it will be going back.  I have read that it is a hit or miss with how it works.

Wiser, where did you get the 64g from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back