iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #842 of 13,503
Peter, thanks for the words and all these listening...but..but only 70-75%, please say at least 80-85? :wink:  Yes, I know, most headfiers are insanely busy people especially those with over 2000 post count....juuust kidding.

Really looking forward to you DB2/PB2 impression again.  By the way, the music that was left on your unit were they hires?

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #843 of 13,503

Quote:

Have the 4S for that.  Kept the 4 to use as an iPod.  Fit perfectly with hp-p1

Then chuck her out the window :). How much do you think you could sell it for? I'm still trying to sell my 601. Maybe even my Open-back Denon 5000s after I get my Audiotechnica W3000AN. I really hope it blows me away enough where I don't want the Denons. Spending way too much these days lol.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #844 of 13,503

Quote:
Knowing my luck though...if this ever happens...

Peter, don't ever say that and don't ever suggest that....now that I've placed my order.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #845 of 13,503
Listening with the DB2/PB2 stack and the iBasso as transport.  Using just the DX100, the sound is a little more vibrant, less grainy and dull.  More transparency, more realism.  That said, the DB2/PB2 is a great setup.  But it adds complexity rather than any benefit, along with different DAC chips (that are really well implemented, just slightly outclassed).  The PB2 adds a wee bit more bass thunder though.  How could it not, it's pushing out 32 volts and is a very impressive amp (although I may not have volume levels perfectly matched).  I still think adding the DB2/PB2 takes away some refinement and likeability.  

DX100 + PB2 next.

Edit: physical complexity, not more complex sound, lol

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #846 of 13,503

Quote:
Peter, don't ever say that and don't ever suggest that....now that I've placed my order.

I win, with that preorder.  And congrats, you lucky devil, you.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #847 of 13,503
I'm not finding that the PB2 (via line out) is adding anything beneficial to the mix.  The sound isn't greatly different.  Not using the PB2 seems somewhat preferable.  Using just the DX100 seems to be the best option in practically all scenarios, except feeding the RE-7 DAC.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #848 of 13,503

Quote:
Then chuck her out the window :). How much do you think you could sell it for? I'm still trying to sell my 601. Maybe even my Open-back Denon 5000s after I get my Audiotechnica W3000AN. I really hope it blows me away enough where I don't want the Denons. Spending way too much these days lol.

Really on the fence on selling the fostex, it's really a nice unit.  I'll compare with the Ibasso before doing so.  For the iPhone, it'll sell quick on Craigslist.  Hopefully the DX100 will cure my spending habits for audio gear.  Now I'll let others and myself get back on topic since its filled with pointless posts.  

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #849 of 13,503

Quote:
Listening with the DB2/PB2 stack and the iBasso as transport.  Using just the DX100, the sound is a little more vibrant, less grainy and dull.  More transparency, more realism.  That said, the DB2/PB2 is a great setup.  But it adds complexity rather than any benefit, along with different DAC chips (that are really well implemented, just slightly outclassed).  The PB2 adds a wee bit more bass thunder though.  How could it not, it's pushing out 32 volts and is a very impressive amp (although I may not have volume levels perfectly matched).  I still think adding the DB2/PB2 takes away some refinement and likeability.  

DX100 + PB2 next.

Edit: physical complexity, not more complex sound, lol

Peter, only you can do that with all those cables and connectors and skills at your disposal.   But I have already made a Piccolino mini coax to RCA coax and Piccolino mini to mini and ready to go.  Peter, I was at the Kimber Kable lab when they did the crystal for me.  You just need to get a heat striper (note, not hot striper:wink:) and the rest is history.

By the way, the Sabre 9018 chip is no stranger to me as I have been listening to it in my Headroom Balance UDAC for the past two years.  I of course is also very familiar with the Wolfson 8740 chip from my Solo and DB1 and frankly I think they are more a different flavor than one better than the other.  I think the Wolfson is a warmer dac than the sabre, but the sabre is more clean and detail and that is why the realism.  But it sounds like Ibasso did have a good implementation with the 9018 which I am looking forward to.  You didn't answer my question on the music that were left on your unit, hires?

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #852 of 13,503

Quote:
The DX100 is an amazing transport, first off...so transparent; people should really consider it even with a superexpensive DAC, since it can compete favorably with a lot of other sources (my Audiophilleo and my QLS QA350 wav player come to mind).  It has an obviously better UI and more formats than the QLS, and the AP1 is considerably more expensive although it's part of a less integrated laptop setup which depending on one's needs could be better or worse (being able to take your transport to go in your pocket is a plus but not everyone needs that).

The DX100 direct with LCD3 is really enjoyable.  The sound is quite expansive and transparent with plenty of layers and microdetail.  The B22/RE7 added to the mix forces every bit of microdetail to the surface which gives even more realism.  Still, it's stupid how good the DX100 is for being the size that it is.  It has a whole lot of the B22's authority and at times really shocks me, like hey it is performing on almost the same level.  I will say this, you'll never hear a portable system like the DX100, not for a long time, if ever.  It makes me forget the B22 exists, and I have to plug into the Beta to remember that the B22 is the last word for me in sound... 

Would I be saying too much if I said the DX100 has 70-75% of the enjoyability of the home setup?  I think that's what I'm comfortable with saying at this point.  Some songs the B22 really takes it home, other songs the iBasso is so good that it's more of a tossup.  But once again, it is not a remotely fair comparison.  There's four boards, a huge power supply, and 3 flavors of transistor in the B22...behind eight pieces of PCM1704UK chips and four current output stages in the DAC.  The iBasso has one competitive advantage though - integration.  It is seamless between the files, the operating system, the digital output to the DAC, the DAC's analog connections through the multilayer circuit board to the amplifier.  Cables are no issue, no cables can compete with a clean circuit board layout.  Cables and separated components do offer physical isolation between the parts, but they have plenty of disadvantages.  

The DX100 is a no brainer.  The best proof of its value I can give is that I actually want to spend time with it, and it holds my interest, since the sound is in the same class as good desktop systems, to where I don't feel disappointed when I listen, like I'm missing out on a lot.  It has to be the most luxurious toy I've ever used in terms of the perfect sound that comes out of something so small.  I'm an insanely busy person but I'm still making time for the DX100 every day, I love it.

Thank you, Scooter.....what a great review!!!

This is what so many want to see...a comprehensive review by someone with lots of "audiophile experience".  Anyone else who has this from the initial preorder...please post a review.  It helps so many who lack your experience....that's why I am here. 

I used to build speakers back in the day.  You get "teched out" after a certain age.  I think I have become my father, lol!!  While I still appreciate great sound....I'm not so interested as I used to be in researching stuff.  It's great to have people like Scooter cut through the crap for me...I'm sure I speak for many who "lurk" here!! 

I just may jump on the bandwagon because of this....been trying to decide between HM801 and DX100.....

If anyone has info that they think could help me?  Please post or PM me ....thanks so much!!

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #853 of 13,503
As a bona fide soon to be owner of a DX100, could someone please d/l the Cloudskipper app. and try if it runs smoothly on the DAP

This is my favorite music app, finding it uses the least battery with a simple and easy UI, and reassuringly sounding just as good as the Poweramp and Neutron. I have tried most music apps and find this simple player to be one of the best. It plays WAV and Flac, but not APE etc.......

Thanks in advance

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #854 of 13,503
Feb 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #855 of 13,503
Hi,

I'm tempted to preorder this player but just wondering how much of an improvement is it compared to a clas,sr71b rig?

Thanks

I'll tell you when I get my preorder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back