iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #496 of 13,503

Quote:
I actually have every intention of using the DX100 as a transport for my DB-1 and SR71B balanced system.  I also plan on getting the SR71b's complement DAC once it comes out.  I have trouble believing that the DX100's onboard hardware will out perform those combinations, and expect that the DX100's amp is likely it's weak point (even if it is D12 level quality)....but you never know.   

I have seen one review in which someone has already made the DX100 and DB-2/PB-2 comparison and thought the extra components gave an improved sound over the DX100 alone.

Yes, I will be interested in trying that combo also, but the fact remains unless DX100-DB2-SR71b/PB2 can significantly out perform the DX100 by itself, it is pretty hard to justify carrying that combo as oppose to a one piece wonder.  We shall see.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #497 of 13,503

Quote:
Why?  doing coax out will bypassing the build in excellent dac and amp?  To me it is a downgrade.  The only benefit in using the DX100 as a transport may be its capability to play hires materials.  But paying >$800.00 and not use the dac/amp is a waste.

You are obviously unaware of how the jh3a operates. It's does all it's DSP functions in the digital domain so there is absolutely no benefit feeding it an analogue signal ( even a really good one) as it just adds an extra conversion. 
For example my 3a sounds far superior with a simple USB input than it does feeding it the hi end line out of my Ref 7.1 ( pcm1704uk x8). 
Now feeding it a hi end coax signal is far superior again. For example the dx100 coax out. 
I will also use the dx100 as a standalone dap with my customs and full size cans. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #498 of 13,503

Quote:
I actually have every intention of using the DX100 as a transport for my DB-1 and SR71B balanced system.  I also plan on getting the SR71b's complement DAC once it comes out.  I have trouble believing that the DX100's onboard hardware will out perform those combinations, and expect that the DX100's amp is likely it's weak point (even if it is D12 level quality)....but you never know.   

I have seen one review in which someone has already made the DX100 and DB-2/PB-2 comparison and thought the extra components gave an improved sound over the DX100 alone.

The DX100's DAC chip (The ESS9018 Sabre) is a desktop class DAC and can hang with the best desktop DACs.  The WM8740s in the Boomslang and Boomslang2 are toys by comparison.  It's nuts to use an external DAC with this thing, and honestly with most headphones its amp is very comparable to my O2, only with high impedance cans does the O2 produce any improvements, and the O2 is a much better amp than the PB2 Pelican.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #499 of 13,503
Assuming a DB1 will outperform a ES9018 DAC chip? Extra components sound better because there are extra components [assumptions that there are supposedly better internals]? (when there are extra grounds for extra interference/degradation through extra cables and extra what not...?)

No offense intended. T'was amusing.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #500 of 13,503

Quote:
The DX100's DAC chip (The ESS9018 Sabre) is a desktop class DAC and can hang with the best desktop DACs.  The WM8740s in the Boomslang and Boomslang2 are toys by comparison.   

[size=x-small][size=x-small]It's a lot to expect that the DX100's internal amp is going to compete with an SR71b. The DX100's internal DAC may be great, but it is not providing a balanced output. So there are obviously some different variables swirling around here. We should all be careful not to be blinded by the simple presence of a high end DAC chip....that doesn't guarantee perfect implementation or synergy... [/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]While I want the DX100 to succeed more than anyone, it's a bit premature for anyone to assume it's going to trump the high end portable component systems. If it does, I'll be happy and come out ahead with all of the equipment I can sell off 
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]
[/size]

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #502 of 13,503
I have noticed an increase in detail in both macro and micro. Not an etched detail that you can get by increasing the treble but just more retrieval. Bass reproduction has remained constant, extremely well controlled and what I term as tuneful. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #503 of 13,503
 I am very, very interested in this DAP and would like to echo Spock's request. All the other threads are filled with impressions and analysis, but not this one. I guess I misunderstood, I thought the first 40 owners were required to write a review; my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Quote:
To all DX100 testers who have heard the Hifiman 602 or 801

Could you please quantify your impressions of the SQ of the DX100 versus Hifiman 602 and 801?  Warmth (analog like or not), soundstage, detail, bass, midrange and treble performance....etc.

It would be greatly appreciated by myself and many who may not post here....but watch (as I used to) and are only interested in a high quality DAP for the best portable sound they can get.

For myself?  I am very interested in DX100...but need to hear some direct comparisons to the current King of DAPs....Hifiman 602 and 801.

Thank you very much!!!

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #504 of 13,503

Quote:
 I am very, very interested in this DAP and would like to echo Spock's request. All the other threads are filled with impressions and analysis, but not this one. I guess I misunderstood, I thought the first 40 owners were required to write a review; my apologies for the misunderstanding.

I would imagine many are waiting for a software or firmware update. With regards to the sound and dac performance, I also think it takes a while to formulate and valid opinion, at least it does for me. I prefer to give a solid idea of what to expect than have someone find out that my impressions had changed to the degree that my review was no longer valid. 

I do hope more will post opinions though and that some reviews will be forthcoming. I do disagree though, there are impressions in this thread and analysis of the dac performance as well as the amp of the DX100. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #505 of 13,503
Scoote has a pb2 db2 balanced system to compare, my friend. He's already done the comparison. 

And these portable amps are not as good as you make them out to be. My $150 O2 blew away both. 

Quote:
[size=x-small][size=x-small]It's a lot to expect that the DX100's internal amp is going to compete with an SR71b. The DX100's internal DAC may be great, but it is not providing a balanced output. So there are obviously some different variables swirling around here. We should all be careful not to be blinded by the simple presence of a high end DAC chip....that doesn't guarantee perfect implementation or synergy... [/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]While I want the DX100 to succeed more than anyone, it's a bit premature for anyone to assume it's going to trump the high end portable component systems. If it does, I'll be happy and come out ahead with all of the equipment I can sell off 
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]
[/size]

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #506 of 13,503

Quote:
I would imagine many are waiting for a software or firmware update. With regards to the sound and dac performance, I also think it takes a while to formulate and valid opinion, at least it does for me. I prefer to give a solid idea of what to expect than have someone find out that my impressions had changed to the degree that my review was no longer valid. 

I do hope more will post opinions though and that some reviews will be forthcoming. I do disagree though, there are impressions in this thread and analysis of the dac performance as well as the amp of the DX100. 

I agree, there have been early impressions shared, but as you point out things can change over time and the initial enthusiasm can be replaced by something a little different, both good and bad.I also understand that software problems have dampened the mood. I hope reviews will be forthcoming. As I look at people's profiles, I see that many own other competing daps and are in a position to give us a comparative analysis. I too hope that others step forward as I'm only looking to make an informed decision. I will buy a dap, the question is which one.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #507 of 13,503

Quote:
I have noticed an increase in detail in both macro and micro. Not an etched detail that you can get by increasing the treble but just more retrieval. Bass reproduction has remained constant, extremely well controlled and what I term as tuneful. 

I agree jamato8 although I don't think I have as many hours as you do on this unit lol. Detailing has definitely gone up a level. Also the bass is to die for. I just love the texture and control... It just forces you to recognize it yet not overpowering the other frequencies at all. Just love it :wink:.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #508 of 13,503

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]
[/size]

I've used balanced gear for years.  Insisted on it for years.  Insisted it was the best, because it was very good to me, better than other stuff I had tried.  I have a Beta22 which is pretty well the ultimate in balanced solid state headphone amps.  However, there's always exceptions to the rule, and not all balanced amps are going to beat or greatly exceed all single ended amps.  The O2 is an example of this.  Because it was very well designed, it sounds greatly more expensive than it actually is, and better than a lot of large home amps (when used with LCD3 and a good source).  Lots of balanced gear is not at its top design potential, or at least, for the money being charged can be beaten by less expensive gear.  My full size home setup does not bring me greatly more pleasure than my DX100 + O2 because it is literally not that much better.  Obviously I could DBT it, it's not hard to tell, but the DX100 + O2 is very, very good.  And the built in amp of the DX100 is nearly as good as my O2 for lower impedance headphones and easier to drive orthos, to where I can hardly tell a difference with the LCD3s.  It isn't fair to speculate how good the amp is in the DX100 when nobody knows for sure what it is and nobody has successfully cracked a DX100 open.  It has a ton of dynamic range though, very deep bass, and a gigantic soundstage, with no glaring flaws or anything I'd really want to improve upon, so that's good enough for me.

The ESS9018 actually is used with balanced output stages in many builds, like balanced Buffalo DACs done by DIYers, etc.  You're right, it is all about how you implement it.  However, pretty much all the impressions of the DX100 so far (and there aren't that many yet) is that it sounds abnormally good, but has a few software bugs like a tiny bit of static between tracks, tracks being played in a funny order, etc etc.  I think they're doing a better job than the very first iPod.  

Nobody has to believe me on this one, but they'll have to listen to a DX100 to know for sure.  

Edit:  I agree with Jamato on this one.  Impressions can easily change with time.  I've been listening to the DX100 every single day, and the O2 every single day, just to confirm to myself that I'm not going nuts or something.  

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #509 of 13,503

Quote:
 It isn't fair to speculate how good the amp is in the DX100 when nobody knows for sure what it is and nobody has successfully cracked a DX100 open.  It has a ton of dynamic range though, very deep bass, and a gigantic soundstage, with no glaring flaws or anything I'd really want to improve upon, so that's good enough for me.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back