iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #226 of 13,503
I think that is really going to be a toss-up. I used my DX100 as a DAC feeding my balanced desktop amp and HE-6. Sounded excellent. Then I listened to my MG6Pro and ES3X customs driven directly from the DX100 headphone output and they also sounded excellent. I haven't yet had time to use the DX100 line out to my PB2. Hopefully I will get to that soon. I will say that I think the DX100 has a very spacious and open soundstage with excellent imaging, both of which I normally associate with a balanced system.

Ron, thank you so much for your responses. When you use the DX100 as a DAC feeding your balanced desktop, you are not using balance input into your desktop amp, right? Also, even if you line out from the DX100 to the PB2, it will still be single end into the PB2. I am just curious if the DX100 coax out to the DB2 and then to the PB2, will that make a difference? Thanks.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #227 of 13,503
xpsg, thanks for noting all the bugs. Good work.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #228 of 13,503
I notice that using the DX100 into the PB2, the sound on the balanced amp is not quite as immediate as the amp in the DX100. They are both fine and I am happy with the sound of the DX100. I will try the coax out to the DB2. 

Ok, the DB2 being fed by coax by the DX100 and using the PB2 amp. This is going to be hard, they both sound excellent. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #229 of 13,503
I will get to spend time with the DX100 tomorrow at a meet. I will take along my Classic+CLAS+Stepdance brick and try to make some comparisons using my ES5 (i) as competing "DAP units" and (ii) just of the two DACs playing through the Stepdance as amp. I am not sure if I will have enough exposure to reach definitive conclusions but I am really looking forward to this!

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #230 of 13,503
I notice that using the DX100 into the PB2, the sound on the balanced amp is not quite as immediate as the amp in the DX100. They are both fine and I am happy with the sound of the DX100. I will try the coax out to the DB2. 

Ok, the DB2 being fed by coax by the DX100 and using the PB2 amp. This is going to be hard, they both sound excellent. 

Big thanks, Jam, good job, I always know the DB2/PB2/SR71b combo is top notch. But comparing to the DX100, you are talking 1piece vs 4 pieces (in the case of Solo). We are not even taking into account of the advantages of 1- playing hires and 2- Single ended connection (less cost) for the DX100. Since the DX100 can play ALAC files, it will be great to play the same file in two systems using the same headphones.

ALAC-iPod/Solo/DB2/PB2/SR71b--phones. VS.
ALAC-DX100--Phones. Vs
Hires version of the same song--DX100--Phones

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #231 of 13,503
I will get to spend time with the DX100 tomorrow at a meet. I will take along my Classic+CLAS+Stepdance brick and try to make some comparisons using my ES5 (i) as competing "DAP units" and (ii) just of the two DACs playing through the Stepdance as amp. I am not sure if I will have enough exposure to reach definitive conclusions but I am really looking forward to this!

Good luck, hope you bring back good news.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #232 of 13,503
If I were Reterminating my headphone should I go for the 1/4 inch or the mini since they are both supported on the DX100. What is the pros and cons for each.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #233 of 13,503

Quote:
If I were Reterminating my headphone should I go for the 1/4 inch or the mini since they are both supported on the DX100. What is the pros and cons for each.

!/4" will always be a more secure connection - and therefore should provide more reliably consistent full quality on the connection.  One question is what other amps do you anticipate using your phones with? Full size amps, go with 1/4"; if you will use other portable amps, 1/8" is a much more convenient choice - and you can always use an adapter.

Looking at this another way, I would never terminate the Sen HD800 in a 1/8", and I would never terminate the ES5 in a 1/4"...

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #234 of 13,503
Jan 26, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #235 of 13,503

Quote:
Excellent Snoopy! 

I am finding that the class 10 is working fine. And loading the class 4 32gb with more music is going well. Now I need to learn how to keep my music in specific genres like on iRiver where I have a Rock, classical, jazz, and so on for files and then open those up. I also have a separate just for the Grateful Dead but again, I haven't figured out how to have just those headings without have to look at all albums. 

So is it worth the extra money to get class 10 cards? The only 32GB class 10 card that I can find in Singapore is from Kingston and cost almost thrice as much as class 4. If class 4 is not going to have any impact on access speed then I will make do with it.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #236 of 13,503

Quote:
How did the Neutron player perform compared to the iBasso custom player?

Quote:
YES INDEED HOW??????

Can't do any tests now. The DX100 just ran out of power and my charger is at home. Probably have to buy a second charger for office use. Will do more tests with Neutron after I charged it later. 

I just realised that leaving it plugged to the PC with USB storage mode enabled drained almost 25% of my battery after 90 mins or so. I hope someone else can verify if this is really the case.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #237 of 13,503

Quote:

Can't do any tests now. The DX100 just ran out of power and my charger is at home. Probably have to buy a second charger for office use. Will do more tests with Neutron after I charged it later. 

I just realised that leaving it plugged to the PC with USB storage mode enabled drained almost 25% of my battery after 90 mins or so. I hope someone else can verify if this is really the case.

The drainage is normal, as it is unable to charge thru usb and you are using its own power while accessing it thru PC, please update us when you finish comparing it to the Neutron.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #239 of 13,503

Quote:
Can this player be purchased anywhere in the US or do you have to order it overseas?

Dear Customer,
It is only available @ Ibasso site, after the Chinese year, beginning of  February it will be available for pre-order, pre-order......"
http://www.ibasso.com/en/home/

Do not try to order it now or it will cost you above $14,000. "

This is legit...I think So
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back